Insurance mess

Old October 29th 04, 02:47 PM
Zaz

Wow.

That's when I read stories like that that I realise how lucky we are up
here, even if our health system is much criticised for its flaws. Yes, we
pay more taxes, but we don't have to fight agains anyone if our health
issues dictate this or that treatment, or this or that stay at the hospital.

I remember arguing with insurances over a salary-insurance when I was put
off work because of my hypothyroidism, and oh, what anguish! I want to
commend you on standing your ground, and keeping your marbles together as
you went through this rubbish...

Now relax, and try to take it easy!

Isabelle

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..
Well, the good news is that I may be going home sooner than expected. The
bad news is the reason-while my OB has stated that he prefers to keep me
on
hospital monitoring, apparently Blue Cross/Blue Shield has decided I'm
stable enough to go home, even with a history of things coming on rapidly
and severely, without any real symptoms. At least part of the
justification
is that if things start to go bad, after all, they can deliver the baby
now
and she'll probably be OK-so even though I'm doing much better on hospital
bedrest than I was on bedrest at home, which could make the difference
between a baby who has to go through NICU and one who is near full-term,
guess the actuaries have decided that it's better to risk damage to
Cuddles
and/or me than to pay for it.

So, at this point, it's up to my doctors to justify keeping me in-patient
with BC/BS, or to send me home and monitor from there, until the next time
something spikes. And I'm not sure exactly what happens financially if my
OB
decides that I should stay if BC/BS disagrees-and I'm not completely sure
that I won't get a bill from these last couple of days, where BC/BS
apparently didn't consider them justified.

Mostly, I'm terrified-if my doctor had said on Monday "Your BP is down,
tests are normal, I think the blood pressure surge was just a fluke", I
would have felt good about going home and relieved about doing so. Now,
though, even if he agrees that I'm stable, I know it's because the
insurance
is pushing it, which means that decisions about me and Cuddles are being
made based on financial reasons from someone who doesn't really know me or
my history, and doesn't care-and probably doesn't particularly care what
the
outcome of my pregnancy is as long as it doesn't cost them too much money.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know how this turns out.

Old October 29th 04, 06:13 PM
Elle

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...
Well, the good news is that I may be going home sooner than expected. The
bad news is the reason-while my OB has stated that he prefers to keep me on
hospital monitoring, apparently Blue Cross/Blue Shield has decided I'm
stable enough to go home, even with a history of things coming on rapidly
and severely, without any real symptoms.

snip

That's awful! What could they be thinking?

Glad that you are doing better though, and hope that you end up being
confident and comfortable with the final decision, whether you remain
in hospital or end up going home.

Elle