dizziness?

Old October 27th 04, 09:24 AM
Anne Rogers

Default dizziness?

I think I had some of this early on last time, but definitely not this much,
my problem is now I can't actually stand up for more than about 30 seconds,
sitting upright about 5 minutes, I'm now semi lieing, but I don't think this
will last much longer, I'll have to go and lie down soon. It has come on
very suddenly, during the day yesterday I was fine and this just came on
towards the end of the evening, but it hasn't gone overnight and I still
felt wierd lieing down in bed. I'm guessing it's low blood presure, which is
concerning for me as I think that was what caused Nathanael to be so small.
Plus if it stays this bad I really can't function, I'm so glad N is at the
childminder this morning, I had planned to meet some friends and then go to
the gym, doesn't look like that is going to happen. I've made an appointment
to see my GP, I've no idea if that is necessary or not.

Old October 30th 04, 05:12 PM
Wildwookie

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Anne,

I've been suffering from dizzy spells too, I don't know how far along you
are but I was approaching 19/20 weeks when it started. Like you I couldn't
stand for very long and felt bad sitting too. My G.P. took my blood pressure
sitting and standing but they were both fine. They also checked my bloods to
see if I was anaemic (which can cause dizziness) and if my liver and thyroid
levels were ok. As all were fine I was told it was just one of those things,
and signed off on the sick.

I have since discovered alot of pregnant women are affected by this from
about the halfway mark through to the beginning of the 3rd trimester
(sometimes right through to delivery). When you stand up apparently your
blood pools down into your calves and as all the blood vessels etc are more
'relaxed' during pregnancy it's difficult for the body to pump it back up
which is why you feel dizzy. In my case I was on the verge of fainting,
spots in front of my eyes a heavy weight pressing down on me etc etc.

After about 5 weeks on the sick the doctor suggested trying compression
socks as apparently this sort of thing can happen in the elderly too and
they are often prescribed compression socks to help. I tried below the knee
light compression socks and started to feel better straight away. That was 3
weeks ago and I have now returned to work and feel fine. I am 27 weeks pg
today.

Other things suggested to me by other pregnant women suffering dizziness
we-

1, To drink Plenty Fluids
2, Try to drink Fresh Orange Juice
3, Make sure you have plenty snacks to hand (breakfast bars are good for
this) eat if you feel peckish don't wait till the next meal.

I hope this helps.

Denise
#1 Due 29/01/05

Vertebral genesis of functional disorders (i.e., dizziness) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 May 10th 04 05:11 PM
Dizziness? Jody Pellerin Pregnancy 4 January 16th 04 05:59 PM
fainting and dizziness Angela Pregnancy 14 October 15th 03 10:38 AM
dizziness, stress, heartrate, etc.. Kari Pregnancy 13 July 31st 03 10:00 PM