good morning

Old March 27th 06, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default good morning

I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
really how things are, or am I mistaken? And if so, why is it that
serious labor so often happens overnight?

Given a choice I'd rather get a good night's sleep, labor during the
day, and have the kid in the evening...
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, due in April

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250

#1 I went into labour at 1am, then she was born at 7am the next day.
#2 I went into labour at 6:30am and she was born at 7pm. Much easier.
Seriously though, I suspect that one reason is that if we're moving around
we don't notice early labour so much, so don't realise we're in labour.
Debbie

Old March 27th 06, 06:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Given a choice I'd rather get a good night's sleep, labor during the
day, and have the kid in the evening..

which is precisely what I have done, number 1 was an induction, we started
pitocin in the early evening and he was born at 10.16, number 2 labour
started after lunch and she was out in time for tea.

Anne

Old March 27th 06, 06:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message
I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
really how things are, or am I mistaken? And if so, why is it that
serious labor so often happens overnight?

Given a choice I'd rather get a good night's sleep, labor during the
day, and have the kid in the evening...

DS1 - went in to the hospital early morning (I'd guess around 6am or so) Had
a shot of morphine, slept a little in the late morning, he was born via
emergency c-section at 4:48pm.
DS2 - went in to the hospital late night (I'd guess around 11pm or so) Had a
shot of morphine, slept all night until they woke me up around 9am, found
out I was doing fine, called my mom at about 1030am, she came to the
hospital around 1130 - when she took her lunch break, and so did my aunt,
went from 4-10cm between 11 and noon, DS was born (vbac) at 12:14pm, my mom
and aunt both went back to work in time for their regular 1 hour lunch
breaks
DD - went in to the hospital in the morning (at about 8am) admitted in after
being on monitors and all that by 1015am, DD was born (vbac again) at
2:46pm, but I was fighting pushing urges at 210, since DH decided he was
going to go home quickly and come back by 230. I was able to barely fight
urges for those 20ish minutes for him to get back. Yes, I did give him a
piece of my mind

So, all my babies were afternoon or early evening babies. Wasn't too bad.
I would rather afternoon or evening over first thing in the morning, but
then again, I really can't say for sure!

Old March 27th 06, 07:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I don't know about godforsaken, but short of that your post is pretty
accurate. I think that is one of the travesties of hospital birth
scheduling. Since doctors and hospital staff like to work weekdays,
they do everything they can to avoid scheduling births on nights and
weekends. Since babies like to come when babies like to come (or
looking at it another way, mammas like to birth when mammas like to
birth, this leads to a lot of unwarranted interventions when hospitals
try to force birhting into their schedules. I personally think that
mammas bodies are better suited to birthing at night.

Larry

Anonymama writes:
: I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
: early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
: I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
: really how things are, or am I mistaken? And if so, why is it that
: serious labor so often happens overnight?

: Given a choice I'd rather get a good night's sleep, labor during the
: day, and have the kid in the evening...
: --

Old March 27th 06, 11:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:
I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
really how things are, or am I mistaken? And if so, why is it that
serious labor so often happens overnight?

Oxytocin levels are higher then, so if you allow things
to run their natural course, labor will often start then. But,
as usual, no guarantees. For me:

#1 - Woke up at 7am having contractions, went rapidly to very
active labor, but didn't actually give birth until 4am
almost 2 days later.

#2 - Membranes ruptured at midnight, baby arrived at 2:40am.

#3 - Labor started shortly after I woke up, baby arrived just
before 2pm. It seemed very odd to deliver in daylight ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 27th 06, 11:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:
I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
really how things are, or am I mistaken? And if so, why is it that
serious labor so often happens overnight?

Not me. I've heard that it's to do with oxytocin levels or something
but my babies don't do that. My first was SROM at 11am and born at
4pm, the second was AROM at 9am and born at 2.30pm, my third was SROM
at 4 am and then spontaneous labour starting at 4am the next morning
with the birth at around 8am, my fourth was spontaneous labour starting
at 4.45am (although I wasn't sure until 7.30am that it was true labour)
and was born at 9.30am.

And FWIW, both the daytime labours were boys, both the early morning
labours were girls.

Given a choice I'd rather get a good night's sleep, labor during the
day, and have the kid in the evening...

I quite liked the good night's sleep, missing breakfast and having the
baby before morning tea time

Cheryl

Old March 28th 06, 03:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Hmm . . . now I prefer being in labor overnight and giving birth in the
morning. In the night I'm sleepy, and for me that sort of takes the
edge off, makes it all seem a little unreal.

I've been in labor overnight for four out of five pregnancies.

Leslie

Old March 28th 06, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"Anonymama" wrote in message
I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
really how things are, or am I mistaken?

Mine were both born in the evening. Hunter was around 9:30pm and Luke was
around 8pm or so. Hunter was spontaneous, Luke was induced.

Hunter - water broke 11pm, went to hospital 7am, born 9:30pm.
Luke - began induction 7am, AROM at noon, born 8pm.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old March 28th 06, 09:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anonymama wrote:

I have the impression that babies like to be born in the godforsaken
early hours -- my first was born at four o'clock in the morning (after
I'd been in labor for one night, one day, and another night). Is that
really how things are, or am I mistaken? And if so, why is it that
serious labor so often happens overnight?

Given a choice I'd rather get a good night's sleep, labor during the
day, and have the kid in the evening...

DS's water broke at 3:00 am, but didn't have him until about 14 hours
later, just in time for dinner.