Girl needs a name

Old December 9th 03, 08:05 PM
Angela Schepers

Default Girl needs a name

I wish I had realized that the english translation was under the french.
I was racking my brain to correctly translate the french into english
as I'm somewhat fluent in french and suprisingly enough I got it mostly
correct. It was good practice anyway, I needed to brush up.

Old December 9th 03, 08:29 PM
John Woodgate

I read in sci.lang.translation that Camille Esse
wrote (in ) about 'Girl needs
a name', on Tue, 9 Dec 2003:

My purpose is to help them
finding a name by looking for the maximum translations of the words
'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic language where it sounds good.

MOON
Japanese : tsuki
Welsh: llaeuad (but you'd need help with the correct pronunciation,
especially the Welsh 'll').
Urdu: chaand (aa = long a)

Someone told me that some Native American languages have romantic-
sounding words for 'moon' but didn't give any examples.

Greek gives a real choice: Cynthia, Diana, Phoebe.

LIFE
Urdu: zinagi
Welsh: hoedl (usually pronounced 'heedl') (there are other words, but
pronunciation is difficult)
Japanese: inochi (and some other words)
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Old December 9th 03, 08:45 PM
Clare L

Search text: moon
19 matches for moon:

AYGÜL f Turkish
Means "moon rose" in Turkish.

AYSEL f Turkish
Means "like the moon" in Turkish.

AYSUN f Turkish
Means "as beautiful as the moon" in Turkish.

BADR m,f Arabic
Means "full moon" in Arabic.

CHANDRA f,m Indian, Hindu Mythology
Means "moon" in Sanskrit. This is a name used in Vedic texts to refer to the
moon personified as a deity. This is also the name of a demon in Hindu
legends.

CHANDRAKANT m Indian
Means "beloved by the moon", derived from Sanskrit chandra "moon" and kanta
"beloved". In Hindu mythology this is the name of a gemstone formed from
moonlight, also called the Moonstone.

HALA f Arabic
Means "halo around the moon" in Arabic. This was the name of a sister-in-law
of the Prophet Muhammad.

HELEN f English
Pronounced: HEL-en
Possibly from either Greek helene "torch" or "corposant", or Greek selene
"moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose
kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne
by Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly
found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem. Another famous bearer was
Helen Keller, the American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.

KAMARIA f African
Means "like the moon" in Swahili.

LUCINE f Armenian
Means "moon" in Armenian.

LUNA f Roman Mythology
Means "the moon" in Latin. Luna was the Roman goddess of the moon,
frequently depicted driving a white chariot through the sky.

MAHVASH f Iranian
Possibly means "moon-like" in Persian.

MONDAY f English
Pronounced: MUN-day
From the English word for the first day of the week, which derives from Old
English mona "moon" and dæg "day". This was formerly given to girls born on
Monday.

NGUYET f Vietnamese
Means "moon" in Vietnamese.

NURAY f Turkish
Means "bright moon" in Turkish.

POORNIMA f Indian
Means "full moon" in Sanskrit.

RAKESH m Indian
Means "lord of the full-moon day" from Sanskrit raka "full-moon day" and isa
"lord, ruler".

RAMACHANDRA m Indian
Means "Rama moon", derived from RAMA, another name of Vishnu, combined with
Sanskrit candra meaning "moon".

SELENE f Greek Mythology, Greek, English
Pronounced: se-LEE-nee
Means "moon" in Greek. This was the name of a Greek goddess of the moon,
sometimes identified with the goddess Artemis.

For more http://www.behindthename.com/ and use the Search function to
specify what words/meanings you want.
--
Clare L

"John Woodgate" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Interested in professional sound reinforcement and distribution? Then go

Old December 9th 03, 09:01 PM
NAMIN

Hi

Try the following site: http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/
Type the terms you need in the search field. When you get the search
results, scroll down and you will find the word translated in over 50
languages. Non-Latin scripts are not transliterated, however. So: Life in
Arabic is "Hayat", moon is "Qamar". Both Hayat and Qamar are common girl
names.

"Camille Esse" wrote in message
Bonjour, je vous écris pour une amie française qui est actuellement
enceinte de 8 mois et attend une petite fille. Son mari est Argentin et

ils
sont en train de lui rechercher un prénom. Ils sont assez ouverts sur le
choix ; ils ont par exemple appelé leur premier garçon Atahualpa, ce qui
n'est commun ni en Argentine ni en France (c'est je crois le nom du

dernier
empereur Inca). De mon côté, j'essaie de les aider en leur trouvant les
traductions des mots 'Lune' et 'Vie' dans le maximum de langues
'exotiques' (comprendre celles qui ne sont pas parlées dans ce message).

Si
vous connaissez les traductions de ces mots dans une autre langue, je vous
serais reconnaissant de me la transmettre sur ce forum ou par email. De
plus, si vous avez une autre idée dans le même esprit, un mot qui 'sonne'
bien ou autre, je suis aussi preneur.
Je vous remercie par avance pour toutes vos suggestions. Vous pouvez me
répondre par email ou via ce forum, de toute façon, je posterais dans ce
fil les meilleures suggestions et bien sûr le nom final.

Ola. Primo, quiero disculparme porque estoy aprendiendo el español desde
poco tiempo. Tango una amiga de Francia que esta embarasada. Esta

esperando
una hija con su marido que viene de Argentina.
Juntos, les gustaria llamarla un nombre que significa 'Vida' o 'Luna' pero
estan muy abiertos (su primer hiro esta llamado Atahualpa). Lo que estoy
intentando es de ayudarles en buscar lo más traducciónes por vida y Luna

en
el máximo de idiomas. Si hablen un idioma exotico que tiene una buena
palabra para decir esos palabras, me gustaria mucho conocerles. Si tienen
una otra idea que les parece tan bonita, me interessa tambien. Pueden
contestarme por email o en este forum, voy a escribir las mejoras
sugerencias y el nombre final.
Les dicho las gracias de antemano.

Hi, I have a french friend who's currently 8 months pregnant and expecting
a daughter. Her husband is from Argentina and they are performing the
difficult task of finding her a first name. They are quite open, calling
for example they first son Atahualpa who was the name of the last Inca
emperor (was I told). My purpose is to help them finding a name by looking
for the maximum translations of the words 'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic
language where it sounds good. I mean by exotic any that is not spoken
here, and there are tons of them as you can see... On the other hand, if
you have another idea related to those word, keeping the spirit and
sounding good, don't hesitate to give it. I thank you in advance for any
suggestion provided. You can answer in this forum or directly by email.
I'll give this thread a feedback of the best answers and... the final
choice. Thanks for your attention.

Hallo, ich muß Sie warnen, daß dies eine automatische Übersetzung von
english zu Deutsch ist, und es tut mir leid, wenn dies ein Stückchen
robotic sieht. Ich habe einen französischen Freund, der gegenwärtig 8
Monate schwanger ist, und das Erwarten einer Tochter. Ihr Ehemann ist von
Argentinien, und sie führen die schwierige Aufgabe auf, ihr einen ersten
Namen zu finden. Sie sind ganz öffnen Sie sich und ruft sie erstem Sohn
Atahualpa, der der Name des letzten Inka-Kaisers war, zum Beispiel, mir
wurde mitgeteilt, Mein Zweck ist ihnen das Finden durch das Suchen der
maximalen Übersetzungen von den Wörtern 'Moon' und dem 'Leben' in
irgendeiner exotischen Sprache, wo es Gutes ausspricht, eines Namens zu
helfen. Ich meine durch keine, die nicht hier gesprochen werden, exotisch,
und es gibt Tonnen von ihnen, wie Sie sehen können,... andererseits, wenn
Sie eine weitere Idee Wort in Verbindung mit jenen bringen lassen,

behalten
den Geist und sprechen Gutes aus, zögern Sie nicht, es zu geben. Ich danke
Ihnen in Fortschritt für irgendeinen Vorschlag, der bereitgestellt wird.
Sie können in dieses Forum antworten oder direkt durch E-mail. Ich werde
diesem Faden eine Reaktion von den besten Antworten geben und... die

letzte
Wahl. Dank für Ihre Aufmerksamkeit.
--
Camille Esse

Old December 9th 03, 09:16 PM
Fer

|| Hi, I have a french friend who's currently 8 months pregnant and
|| expecting a daughter. Her husband is from Argentina and they are
|| performing the difficult task of finding her a first name. They are
|| quite open, calling for example they first son Atahualpa who was the
|| name of the last Inca emperor (was I told). My purpose is to help
|| them finding a name by looking for the maximum translations of the
|| words 'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic language where it sounds good.
|| I mean by exotic any that is not spoken here, and there are tons of
|| them as you can see... On the other hand, if you have another idea
|| related to those word, keeping the spirit and sounding good, don't
|| hesitate to give it. I thank you in advance for any suggestion
|| provided. You can answer in this forum or directly by email. I'll
|| give this thread a feedback of the best answers and... the final
|| choice. Thanks for your attention.

Here are some ideas...........

[...]

ARANRHOD f Welsh, Welsh Mythology
Possibly means "huge wheel" or "round wheel" in Welsh. In Welsh myth
Aranrhod was the mother of the twin brothers Dylan and Lleu Llaw Gyffes. In
earlier myths she was a goddess of the moon.
ARTEMIS f Greek Mythology
Pronounced: AR-te-mis
Artemis was the Greek goddess of the moon and hunting, the twin of Apollo
and the daughter of Zeus and Leto. She was known as Diana to the Romans.

LIFE:

ENID f Welsh, Welsh Mythology
Derived from Welsh enaid meaning "soul" or "life". She was the wife of
Geraint in Arthurian legend.
ESHE f African
Means "life" in Swahili.
LIV f Scandinavian
Derived from Old Norse hlif meaning "protection". Its use has been
influenced by the modern Scandinavian word liv meaning "life".
ZENOBIA f Ancient Greek
Pronounced: ze-NO-bee-a
Means "life of Zeus", derived from Greek Zeno, a prefix form of the name of
ZEUS, combined with bios "life". This was the name of a 3rd-century queen of
Palmyra. After claiming the title 'Queen of the East' and expanding her
realm into Roman territory she was defeated by emperor Aurelian.
ZOË f English, Greek, Polish
Pronounced: ZO-ee
Means "life" in Greek. This was the name of two early saints, one martyred
under emperor Hadrian, the other martyred under Diocletian. The name was
also borne by a ruling Byzantine empress.

HTH!

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellybean due June 25/04

Old December 9th 03, 11:36 PM
in2minds

"They are quite open, calling for example they first son Atahualpa who
was the name of the last Inca
emperor (was I told)."
[..]

a lesson in how to ruin your childs school life if ever I heard one...

anyhoo, in Welsh (exotic enough for yah ? (c; )...

Moon: lleuad
Life: bywyd

don't ask me how you pronounce them though...

Les

Old December 9th 03, 11:49 PM
Maggie Fox

How about

Shashibala - I think it means girl of the moon
Jyotsana - looks like the moon (I think). These are both Hindi names

Old December 10th 03, 12:25 AM
cara

Camille Esse wrote:

My purpose is to help them finding a name by looking
for the maximum translations of the words 'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic
language where it sounds good. I mean by exotic any that is not spoken
here, and there are tons of them as you can see...

Mahina is moon in Hawaiian language.

cara

Old December 10th 03, 01:21 AM
Taniwha grrrl

Camille Esse wrote:

My purpose is to help
them finding a name by looking for the maximum

translations of the
words 'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic language where it

sounds good.

In Maori the word moon is *Marama* (short a sounds), and is
often used here in New Zealand as a girls name.
And the word life is Ora.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old December 10th 03, 03:28 AM
Kereru

"Taniwha grrrl" wrote in message
Camille Esse wrote:

My purpose is to help
them finding a name by looking for the maximum

translations of the
words 'Moon' and 'Life' in any exotic language where it

sounds good.

In Maori the word moon is *Marama* (short a sounds), and is
often used here in New Zealand as a girls name.
And the word life is Ora.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Darn you beat me to it :-)