Is it ok to put off testing?

Old May 24th 04, 05:53 PM
DL

Default Is it ok to put off testing?

From what I've read chances of m/c drop off a bit at six weeks past
LMP (not by much, but at least implantation-related issues are less
likely to still happen). Having gone through a very early m/c (5
weeks), I'm tempted to not even test at all until the 42 day mark from
now on.

Does anyone have comments on this, or a reason why this isn't
advisable? I'm just hoping for less mental confusion/frustration. I
am very healthy at this time (don't smoke, don't drink, run 5x/week,
eat well, prenatals too), so I don't see much reason to test early.
It seems the drs, assuming you are up to date on Paps & blood tests
(which I am because of yearly & the fact that I'm hypothyroid), don't
even see you until eight anyhow.

Has anyone else put off the HPT run until this late for the same
reason?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

DS
Old May 24th 04, 06:05 PM
Dagny

"DL" wrote in message
om...
From what I've read chances of m/c drop off a bit at six weeks past
LMP (not by much, but at least implantation-related issues are less
likely to still happen). Having gone through a very early m/c (5
weeks), I'm tempted to not even test at all until the 42 day mark from
now on.

Does anyone have comments on this, or a reason why this isn't
advisable? I'm just hoping for less mental confusion/frustration. I
am very healthy at this time (don't smoke, don't drink, run 5x/week,
eat well, prenatals too), so I don't see much reason to test early.
It seems the drs, assuming you are up to date on Paps & blood tests
(which I am because of yearly & the fact that I'm hypothyroid), don't
even see you until eight anyhow.

Has anyone else put off the HPT run until this late for the same
reason?

You can do that, but I'm not sure it'll give you the info you are seeking.
A HPT is going to be positive even if you have very little hcg, or your hcg
is falling. Now, if you waited until six weeks LMP and then did 48-hour
quantitative hcg's, that might give you a good indication of the health of
the pregnancy.

-- Dagny

Old May 24th 04, 07:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

DL wrote:

From what I've read chances of m/c drop off a bit at six weeks past
LMP (not by much, but at least implantation-related issues are less
likely to still happen). Having gone through a very early m/c (5
weeks), I'm tempted to not even test at all until the 42 day mark from
now on.

Does anyone have comments on this, or a reason why this isn't
advisable? I'm just hoping for less mental confusion/frustration. I
am very healthy at this time (don't smoke, don't drink, run 5x/week,
eat well, prenatals too), so I don't see much reason to test early.
It seems the drs, assuming you are up to date on Paps & blood tests
(which I am because of yearly & the fact that I'm hypothyroid), don't
even see you until eight anyhow.

Has anyone else put off the HPT run until this late for the same
reason?

I never put it off because it would have driven
me stark, raving mad to do so, but I don't see why you
couldn't if you wanted to. Obviously, years ago women
waited much longer to test. It's only recently that
women *could* test this early.
I'm not sure it would make you feel much better,
though. If you were late, wouldn't you know, or at least
suspect, a pregnancy. If my period were that late, I'd
certainly figure it was an early miscarriage, so I'm not
sure that having had a positive pregnancy test would make
it any worse. But maybe that's just me.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 25th 04, 09:51 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:53:16 -0700, DL wrote:

Has anyone else put off the HPT run until this late for the same
reason?

From my POV testing is only useful for doctors if you have a regular cycle
and know you're pregnant. Last time I didn't test until 5w LMP since I was
on holiday, but that didn't guarantee me a heatlhy pregnancy...

What you could do instead is ask midwife or OB for two hCG level tests.
Chances are they will want you to take a urine test first anyway. The
bloodtests will not only confirm you're pregnant, but also give a good
indication of viability. Saves you a lot of stress.

HTH...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)