Sad story

Old July 9th 04, 10:05 PM
Buzzy Bee

Default Sad story

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:00:28 -0400, Ilse Witch
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 06:34:25 +0000, Plissken wrote:

Sadly the baby had major complications during delivery and passed away. How
sad.

That's really sad. And unfortunately this type of stories will put home
births in a bad perspective. I wonder though, why none of the care
providers was able to change her mind. There is such good care available,
this didn't need to happen.

I think one of the major things is that too many caregivers are
willing to refuse care in over to cover their arses, even when women
are making an informed choice to go against medical advice (in this
case to attempt a vaginal breech). Its perfectly possible and safe to
deliver by the breech, but women are driven to unassisted childbirth
because medical professionals deny them the choice of how they give
birth. If they were to have respected this woman's choice the baby
would probably be alive today, as good, skilled midwifery care is
crucial in situations like this (an OB is probably useless).

We're in a slightly better position here because there is a duty of
care placed upon the NHS, so if they fail to send someone out to a
woman saying "I'm in labour, I'm having it at home, even though its
breech" they are opening themselves up to be sued if they do not and
something goes wrong. Many Trusts would unfortunately still fail to
send someone out.

I was reading some evidence from a parliamentary select committee
during the week there and there were several situations like this
presented by one of the witnesses (incidentally, my own midwife was
one of the other witnesses). I was encouraged to see the Committee
taking the view that it was not appropriate for the NHS to deny
informed choice like this, despite the opinions of the representation
of the Royal College of Obs and Gyns who was also given evidence
(though I have to say the Independent Midwives Association,
Association of Radical Midwives and National Childbirth Trust
witnesses ran rings around him, countering every claim of his with
good evidence to the contrary

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old July 9th 04, 10:10 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:48:03 -0400, "Jenny D"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
We can assume that she was aware of her problems if no registered midwife
would take her under any circomstances.

and, a Dr. told her the baby was breech before it was born. )

But breech births can be perfectly safe and she was entirely within
her rights to request a vaginal delivery. IMO the fault lies with the
medical professionals who would not respect this right and drove her
to attempt a vaginal breech with an attendant who was not suitably
skilled or experienced. Oh and the system that has made people think
its entirely "right" to deny women such a choice.

Megan M

Old July 9th 04, 10:13 PM
Carol Ann

: She killed her child; she's a murderer.
:
: You ****ing bitch.
:
: Megan
: --
: Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset
(homebirth)

I'm sorry you read that, Megan. Please do not think that she was referring
to the choice you made. Her comment was about a woman she believes was
warned repeatedly of the dangers yet chose to take the risk. Your situation
is not the same.

Even still, it was an extreme comment and you should consider the source.

I am so sorry for your loss. By the way, what happened to your wonderful
dedication website???

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan 3.24.04
http://tinyurl.com/2l78p
Pictures

Old July 9th 04, 10:14 PM
Iuil

"Carol Ann" wrote

I confess to being one of those women. I would NEVER consider homebirth.

Can I ask why?

If it's because of the monitoring etc, you need someone to be actually
watching those monitors and prepared to act when necessary. I know one
woman whose baby died shortly after birth because, although she was in
hospital being continously monitored, no-one was actually reading the
monitor so when her baby did get intervention it was too late. And despite
all the machines and doctors in the hospital, there was nothing that could
be done for him :-(. Complacency can be just as fatal as anything else.

Jean

Old July 9th 04, 10:18 PM
Carol Ann

: I confess to being one of those women. I would NEVER consider
homebirth.
:
:
: Can I ask why?
:
: If it's because of the monitoring etc, you need someone to be actually
: watching those monitors and prepared to act when necessary. I know one
: woman whose baby died shortly after birth because, although she was in
: hospital being continously monitored, no-one was actually reading the
: monitor so when her baby did get intervention it was too late. And
despite
: all the machines and doctors in the hospital, there was nothing that could
: be done for him :-(. Complacency can be just as fatal as anything else.
:
: Jean

Because I am also one of those women who believes in using medical
technology. I would not consider having a child without pain meds unless
it was going to hurt my child.

At 40, it's just too risky...IMHO.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan 3.24.04

Old July 9th 04, 10:25 PM
Iuil

[...]

You missed my point. Technology is all well and good but there needs to be
someone on the other end! If not, or if the person running the machine is
incompetent, then that's even more risky than not using the technology in
the first place.

And pain meds can and do have injurious effects on the baby.

Jean

Old July 9th 04, 10:28 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:50:37 -0400, Jenny D wrote:

She killed her child; she's a murderer.

snip
I understand that you disagree, and that's ok, I am a very extreme
person (especially when pregnant) but I these types of things sicken me.

So I am a murderer too for suffering 3 possibly preventable miscarriages?

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old July 9th 04, 10:35 PM
ModernMiko

"Iuil" wrote in message

"Carol Ann" wrote

I confess to being one of those women. I would NEVER consider

homebirth.

Can I ask why?

If it's because of the monitoring etc, you need someone to be actually
watching those monitors and prepared to act when necessary. I know one
woman whose baby died shortly after birth because, although she was in
hospital being continously monitored, no-one was actually reading the
monitor so when her baby did get intervention it was too late. And

despite
all the machines and doctors in the hospital, there was nothing that could
be done for him :-(. Complacency can be just as fatal as anything else.

Jean

Unfortunately there can be bad outcome no matter which route you choose.
There are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is research options,
facilities, providers and go from there. I am like Carol Ann in that I do
not think I would ever have a homebirth. I completely support there being a
choice but I think it's unfair to be looked down upon because I happen to
want to have my child in a hospital. I certainly would not look down on
someone who chose to have her child at home.

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old July 9th 04, 10:44 PM
Nan

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 20:51:24 GMT, Buzzy Bee
snuck out of the ether to utter:

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:50:37 -0400, "Jenny D"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
She killed her child; she's a murderer.

You ****ing bitch.

Megan

{{{{{Megan}}}}}

Nan
--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
Old July 9th 04, 10:52 PM
Iuil

"ModernMiko" wrote

Unfortunately there can be bad outcome no matter which route you choose.
There are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is research options,
facilities, providers and go from there. I am like Carol Ann in that I do
not think I would ever have a homebirth. I completely support there being

choice but I think it's unfair to be looked down upon because I happen to
want to have my child in a hospital. I certainly would not look down on
someone who chose to have her child at home.

Show me where I looked down on anyone? My DD was born in hospital, with all
the technology available. But you can be damn sure that I made sure that it
was being used properly!

Jean