Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 28th 03, 01:44 PM
Clisby

Default Interesting local article on baby names

Nina wrote:
"Lynne M." wrote in message
om...

"Nina" wrote in message

et...

"Lynne M." wrote in

. I know of a young woman who

named her son Blaise, but she pronounces it bla Zay. How long do you
think that will stick? I'll bet you money that the rest of the
world refuses to go along with her interpretation (because it
seems not only ignorant but also cruel) and calls the kid "blaze."

His name isnt "Blaise", its "Blah zay" (blasé). THe spoken name is the

name,

the spelling is merely a way to get it on paper, thats why so many

people

work hard on alternate spllings, trying to get the sounds JUST riht.

Well, I understand that, but she didn't do that, did she? If she was
trying to get the sounds just right, she would have written it Blahzay,
just the way you did. At least then it would look like a "different"
name, rather than a mispronounced one -- and it would look exactly
like it sounds.

All I can say is WHO KNOWS why folk do what they do!

Sure, people who get to know the kid will learn to

call him Blahzay, but folks who first meet him will likely assume
that the name is pronounced the traditional way: blaze.

Many parents feel that ambiguous names for females give them an

advantage in

that they cant be discriminated against based on their name alone. There

are

studies that show that employers discriminate against potential

employees

with names that are typically African American. No doubt it happens with
women as well.

Well, that's another good point, but I'm not aware that people think
there is an advantage in naming your son something that many
people think sounds feminine. I think our social norms are such that
you can much more easily get away with giving your daughter a name
like Jaymz than you can giving your son a name like Jade or Gabrielle.
I am seeing as many 'girlish' boy names as 'boyish' girl names.
I just think it's odd that we are so concerned with baby clothes,
then abandon our rules when it comes to names.
Lynne

I guess its all about being creative, Im not a fan of made up names either
and have one son, a Jordan. Hopefully the tide wont turn so far that in 20
years that will be seen as a girls name. My uncles are all named things that
were once male and now either mostly female or on the edge.

Jordan already is a unisex name. I've only known 2-3 children named
Jordan, but they were all girls.

Clisby

Old September 28th 03, 03:25 PM
iphigenia

Linz wrote:

Jordan is already being used a girl's name. Sorry!

And has been for some time. There was a female Jordan in the movie Real
Genius, which came out 18 years ago...

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 28th 03, 03:26 PM
iphigenia

Circe wrote:

Not to mention that it's just downright mean to name your child the
equivalent of "Boring", not matter how you spell it!

grin Oh good, someone else who noticed that...

Old September 28th 03, 03:47 PM
Elly

"Caroline B." ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
snip
Justin/Justine are not unisex. Justine is pronounced much differently
than Justin -- as Jus-TEEN.

I meant "unisex" as if coming from the same source (regardless of their
pronunciation).

Old September 28th 03, 03:48 PM
iphigenia

Rosalie B. wrote:
Versailles, KY locally pronounced Ver-sails. Granted, no one ever
has a problem with Paris vs Par-ee but Ver-sails instead of
Vayr-seye......like nails on a chalkboard.

Yes, but that's the name of the town there. Isn't Des Moines
pronounced differently too?

Still, "Vur-SAYles" and "KAY-ro" sound ignorant to me.

Des Moines? Deh Moyne? How does anyone else say it?

I have a friend whose name is Saundra and she doesn't like to be
called SAN dra, she wants to be sawn dra.

If I saw "Saundra" I'd pronounce it "Sawn-dra"

And how about Bette Davis vs Bette Midler. One is betty and one is
bet.

That I have always found odd.

Old September 28th 03, 03:50 PM
iphigenia

Hillary Israeli wrote:
Hmm. Here, it is definitely accent on the first syllable, next two
syllables short and not emphasized. "That's Lafayette Hill, as in
General Lafayette," is pretty much what everyone says in an effort to
stave off the inevitable "can you spell that please?" But of course
it never works

I used to live in Vestal, NY. When I first moved there, I'd try to explain
it by referencing the phrase "vestal virgin" Unfortunately I appear to be
amongst the five or so people who've ever heard the phrase, and none of the
other four were ever on the other end of the phone line...

Old September 28th 03, 03:54 PM
iphigenia

Fer wrote:

Ok, I am a little confused on this logic.....Pronouncing Buena Vista
properly appose to Good Sight/View (someone help me on the
translation) is different from Deustchland/Germany how?

Because it's not *translating.* The place name is Buena Vista; no one ever
uses the English translation "Nice View." In English, Deustchland is
commonly known as Germany.

Old September 28th 03, 04:00 PM
Clisby

Jacqui wrote:
Clisby wibbled

Well, at least you're not one of the people who have asked me (ALL
MY LIFE) whether Clisby is short for something. What in the
world could it be *short* for?

Clisabeth? Clisbeline? Clisabel? Clisbyrina... er... ;-)

Jac

OK, you guys clearly have more imagination than I do.

Clisby

Old September 28th 03, 04:01 PM
iphigenia

dejablues wrote:
Brittany is a PLACE, in France!

Maybe if you had triplets and named them Brittany, Normandy, and Gaul...

Old September 28th 03, 04:06 PM
iphigenia

Sophie wrote:

I've known people not know the difference between Daniel and Danielle
before. Not the same names at all.

I've been to more than one doctor's office for my son and had the nurse call
for "Gabrielle?"

To which my reply is usually something like, "Yes, this is Gabriel."

*sigh* So it happens even when you try to name your kid something normal...

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM