Midwest becomes a pipeline for human trafficking...

Old July 7th 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Midwest becomes a pipeline for human trafficking...

Midwest becomes a pipeline for human trafficking By Marty Denzer
Catholic Key Reporter
0706trafficking.jpg
This poster, which appeared in Great Britain, is one of several efforts
around the world aimed at raising awareness of sex trafficking. Many
efforts, like this one, are aimed at the ultimate cause of trafficking -
the consumer.
KANSAS CITY - It can't happen here. New York or Los Angeles, sure, but
not here in Kansas City. It only happens someplace else, right?

"Human trafficking is more prevalent in this region than most people
know," said Janel D'Agata Lynch, program manager for community services
at Catholic Charities of Kansas City-St. Joseph.

"Local people were shocked when the news broke about the massage parlor
raids in Overland Park, Kan., and earlier this year, the central
Missouri boy who was found, along with a second boy, in the St. Louis area.

"Human trafficking is not always 'some place else,'" D'Agata Lynch said.

A report released in June by the State Department's Office to Monitor
and Combat Trafficking in Persons, labeled the U.S. as "a source and
destination" country for thousands of men, women and children trafficked
annually for purposes of sexual, and to a lesser extent, labor exploitation.

Procurement and sales of human organs, illegal adoption of children
under the age of 18, and mail-order brides constitute other forms of
human trafficking.

Melissa Snow of Shared Hope International, a non-profit organization
founded in 1998 serving sexually exploited women and children, told The
Catholic Key that the Midwest has become a kind of pipeline for human
trafficking. "The truck traffic on Interstate 35 may be carrying more
than meets the eye," she said. "I-35 bisects the country from Laredo,
Texas, to Duluth, Minn., with access to highways leading east and west.
Truckers can load women and children into their cabs and transfer them
to other trucks at truck stops along the way. They can park so close
together that children can be moved without their feet even touching the
ground - invisibly."

An unknown number of American citizens and legal residents are
trafficked within the country, mostly for the commercial sex industry,
including prostitution, sex entertainment and pornography. The State
Department estimates that between 100,000 and 300,000 American children
under the age of 18 are at risk of being trafficked within the U.S. for
commercial sexual exploitation.

Kristy Childs, director of Veronica's Voice, a local organization she
founded in 2001 to help prostituted women reclaim their lives, said she
had been contacted by or worked with more than 5,000 women.

In his February 2007 pastoral letter on pornography, Kansas City St.
Joseph Bishop Robert Finn wrote that, ". pornography is a serious sin
against chastity and the dignity of the human person. It robs us of
sanctifying grace, separates us from the vision of God and from the
goodness of others, and leaves us spiritually empty. Attraction to
pornography and its gratifications is a false 'love' that leads to
increasing emotional isolation loneliness and subsequent sexual
acting-out with self and others. It depends on the exploitation of other
persons: frequently the desperate or poor, or the innocent young. Use of
pornography has cost persons their jobs, their marriages and families.
Traffickers in child pornography may end up in prison. It has often been
associated with and has contributed to, acts of sexual violence and abuse."

Snow said victims come from all ages (the average age of entry into the
commercial sex or sex entertainment industries is 13), racial and
socio-economic backgrounds. "People try to compartmentalize: 'Oh, they
asked for it,' or 'That girl has always been a slut.' We have to
re-educate people and change the language to place the blame where it
belongs: on pimps and traffickers, not on the victims, especially the
children," she said.

Kristy Childs said much the same thing.

"These women and girls are not prostitutes, they are prostituted," she
said. A trafficking and prostitution survivor, Childs is familiar with
many situations young girls and women unwittingly find themselves in.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Web site on human
trafficking cites research done by Richard Estes and Neil Alan Weiner of
the University of Pennsylvania, which indicates that 75 percent of sex
trafficked children come from middle class backgrounds. Rural children
are often more naive than inner city children, making them easier targets.

Traffickers include criminal networks, strangers, other youth,
pedophiles and a transient male population, even family members and
acquaintances.

Children are lured from inside their own homes through the Internet (one
in five children have been approached online), in school, at movie
theaters and arcades, bus and train stations, at the homes of friends or
at dance clubs. Runaways are particularly vulnerable, often being
approached or coerced within 48 hours of hitting the streets, Snow said.

According to Catholic Charities USA, vulnerable children can be
exploited through their need for love and affection, their need to
belong or fit in, low self-esteem, physical or psychological needs, or
problems at home. Traffickers may promise affection, money or designer
clothes. The child is often isolated and alienated from friends and
family. Once a trafficker moves a child to a strange place, forcing her
into prostitution is simple.

Catholic Charities USA described domestic minor trafficking victims,
whether middle class or not, as usually coming from dysfunctional and
unstable families, often with serious drug or alcohol problems. There
may be a history of physical or sexual assault. Runaways may participate
in "survival sex" to obtain money for subsistence, and when compounded
by immaturity and poor sexual decision-making, a child's vulnerability
to traffickers increases.

The Campus Coalition against Trafficking said that pimps can earn up to
$632,000 per year by selling four young women or children.

There are many ways a trafficker can control and enslave a victim.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, control
is achieved by confinement or physical restraint (both threatened and
actual) and frequent moves from city to city, often across state lines.
Victims may be isolated from other people, made to feel fear, shame or
self-blame. Traffickers may use or threaten reprisals to the victim or
her family. They may make false promises or give misinformation.
Frequent beatings, slapping or rape create traumatic bondage. Victims
may even form an emotional attachment to their captors due to repeated
stress or a need to survive.

When trafficked children or adolescents are brought to the police,
Catholic Charities USA said courts often discharge them right back to
the pimp, to the family they ran away from, or to foster homes, from
which they bolt as they are usually too damaged to adjust. It can be a
vicious circle.

Childs offered several other reasons sex trafficking victims don't leave
their pimps: they lack money and identification, they may distrust law
enforcement or service agencies, and 95 percent or more are dealing with
drug addiction issues. Most often control is gained through drug dependency.

Childs said, "These women and girls have been used over and over, trick
after trick, day after day, year after year, arrest after arrest, high
after high - until they become a bigger liability than an asset. . They
become discarded cargo, dumped like trash in the streets, to survive the
only way they know how. We need to let them know we are here to help
before that happens."

"Each situation is vastly different," D'Agata Lynch said. "It's a
complex issue. When someone is rescued, the justice department has to
determine if the person is a victim, if coercion or physical threats
have had a role in the situation. We are trying to educate and raise
public awareness, and help the victims of trafficking. Once a victim is
safe, if they request it, Catholic Charities can provide services within
the scope of what we already offer: emergency assistance, counseling and
case management. We have to learn more about identifying victims."

Ilene Shehan, chief operating officer of Hope House Battered Women's
Shelter in Independence said, "People need to look under the surface,
there may be something else going on."

D'Agata Lynch said, "Mail carriers have good instincts about what's
happening on their routes. Perhaps a lot of coming and going at a
particular house; that might be a big clue."

Shehan said people in northwest Missouri come face-to-face with victims
every day, at dry cleaners or laundromats, fast food restaurants,
factories and farms. "You never know, unless you look beneath the
surface, if the young man or woman or the child you just saw is a forced
labor or sex trafficking victim. We likewise don't want to think that a
trafficker could be an acquaintance or a member of our community."

First and foremost, trafficking victims need safety and security.
Catholic service organizations provide support services to both adults
and children, including health and mental health services, employment
services, English language training, housing assistance and other
material assistance programs.

The federal government has continued to work toward eradicating human
trafficking worldwide. This effort includes several federal agencies,
including the Department of Justice and Health and Human Services. In
2006 approximately $28 million were appropriated for domestic programs
to boost anti-trafficking law enforcement efforts, identify and protect
victims, and raise awareness of trafficking.

The FBI and the Department of Justice Criminal Division work to combat
child sexual exploitation through the "Innocence Lost" initiative which
resulted this past year in 43 convictions.

Two presidents have signed into law Trafficking Victims Protection acts
in 2000, 2003 and again in 2006. Twenty seven states have passed
criminal anti-trafficking legislation. The departments of Justice and
Health and Human Services have increased the number of anti-trafficking
task forces, which partners state, local and federal law enforcement
agencies with non-governmental organizations, to 42. In metropolitan
Kansas City, the Coalition Against Human Trafficking, Catholic
Charities, Veronica's Voice, Hope House, Rose Brooks and Synergy House
in Missouri and Joyce Williams/Safe Home in Wyandotte County, in Kansas,
plan through a federal grant to train doctors and nurses to identify
domestic abuse and trafficking victims.

Under a Department of Justice grant, Shared Hope International is
aligning with 10 newly funded Human Trafficking task forces across the
country, including Independence, to better identify domestic victims of
trafficking and provide them with needed resources. In October, a
nine-week assessment of the Kansas City-Independence area will be
launched, with a loaned employee of Veronica's Voice serving as an
evaluator.

In May, the U.S. Justice Department announced that the Independence
police department and Hope House were awarded 3-year grants of $450,000
each as part of the national Human Trafficking Rescue Project initiative
to combat human trafficking. Hope House plans to use the grant to
provide rescue and investigative services to victims, as well as
certification of trafficking, Shehan said. Certification allows
survivors to access all available services, programs and benefits,
including medical treatment, food and rest, funds and resources.

"The grant and the rescue initiative together underscore the fact that
domestic violence and human trafficking are not just legal issues or
battered women's shelter issues, they are community and country issues,"
she said.

Jerry Young of the Kansas City-St. Joseph diocesan Human Rights Office
said his staff has collaborated with city and state offices to raise
awareness of human trafficking both here and elsewhere in the world. "We
are helping to educate people and looking to make the burden of proof of
trafficking less difficult for both victims and law enforcement. People
have a right to freedom," Young said. "Freedom from exploitation and
freedom of human dignity."

More information on Veronica's Voice can be found on their Web site:
www.veronicasvoice.org

The Catholic Key will return to examine other issues of human
trafficking in forthcoming issues.

KRISTY
At age 12, Kristy was labeled incorrigible. She repeatedly ran away from
an abusive parent, and was repeatedly returned by juvenile authorities.

"I finally couldn't handle anymore," she said. "I had to get away. So I
began to hitchhike."

She hitched rides with truck drivers, thinking only to get as far from
Joplin as she could. "But they (the truck drivers) made it clear they
expected something in return," Kristy recalled. "Even though I was
barely into my teens, they made me feel obligated. Then when they were
through with me, they passed me to other drivers. I finally landed in
Denver."

She was picked up by a pimp outside a bar called the "Bucket of Blood,"
and moved into his apartment. At first it was a kind of relief, as the
girl had been sleeping on the sidewalk, but soon it turned into a nightmare.

Kristy was given a new name, as were most of the other girls. The pimp,
who was known as "Ghost," put the 13-year-old to work on one of the main
"strolls," with older girls, whom she suspected of monitoring her.

"Ghost" used horror stories of arrests and torture as well as pills to
keep her under control. Soon she was addicted.

One night, after locking Kristy in the apartment, the pimp left for a
while. The girl found her clothes soaking wet in the bathtub. "If you
beat somebody with wet clothes on, it doesn't leave marks," Kristy said.

"I put them on even though they were wet and jumped off the second story
balcony," she said. "I was scratched and bruised but nothing was broken.
I was high and wandering the streets when I was arrested. I started
going through withdrawal while in jail. Then my mother and stepfather
came and picked me up."

As soon as she could get away, Kristy went back to the streets.

"My mind was so twisted and turned up side down that I believed I had to
be a whore," she said. "and live with a pimp.

"By hitchhiking again, I made my way to Kansas City. I was working the
streets when another pimp came into the picture. By this time I was
about 20 years old."

In one incident, the pimp gave Kristy some "syrup," cough medicine laced
with codeine, "which made me really high. We got on a plane, bound
supposedly for someplace in Iowa," she said. "I remember thinking we're
sure on this plane for a long time to be going to Iowa. Then we landed
in Anchorage, Alaska. When I was unpacking in my hotel room, I
discovered that my pimp had used me as a mule to transport drugs. I
found two kilos of cocaine in my luggage."

With a rueful laugh, Kristy said, "I was so na‹ve. I was 20 but still
felt like a 12-year-old kid. Everything I needed, clothes, everything,
was given to me. I couldn't balance a checkbook, or rent an apartment.
Everything was done for me. I didn't know how."

"I would renegade (go out on my own) for a time, then I'd get depressed
and go right back to the pimps. I realize now that the pimps and tricks
I was attracted to had similar characters to my stepfather."

"Men were tricks or pimps, there was nothing in between," she said.

"I was trafficked all over the West coast, up and down the California
coast line, up north to Alaska, southeast to Denver and then to Kansas
City and back to Des Moines and then west again. I was totally lost, and
allowed myself to be led."

Kristy's "detoxification" from the trade was depressing and painful. It
took years of "working" while still using drugs, and slowly but surely
getting clean again.

"I prayed to die," she said, "but God helped me, God rescued me. I think
this is why he did it, why he put me on the streets," she said.

Now 45, Kristy is determined to help other children and women reclaim
their lives and minds. Veronica's Voice is the outgrowth of her
determination.

END

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

Dr. Shirley O'Brien, of the University of Arizona, notes that it has
been estimated up to 600,000 children are used by the 'kiddie porn'
industry" in the United States every year. Isn’t it entirely possible
that the huge demand for children to be used in child porn and exploited
by pedophiles is supplied from our nations foster care system?

http://www.lovestarrecords.com/earth..._Speeches.html

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...

Almost human Jenrose Pregnancy 1 December 11th 04 05:12 AM
Midwest Evaluation of the Adult Functioning of Former Foster Youth:Conditions of Youth Preparing to Leave State Care wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 April 17th 04 04:28 PM
Human Pacifier T Flynn Breastfeeding 5 March 12th 04 12:15 AM
Midwest Breast Fest AnnaS Breastfeeding 2 July 29th 03 03:34 AM
THE DISORDER OF BEING HUMAN [email protected] Spanking 0 July 18th 03 09:53 AM