Infant's Vision

Old August 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
Allyson Edwards

Default Infant's Vision

What's the earliest babies can get their vision checked?
What's the norm....?

Thanks in advance!

Allyson
Mommy to Ethan & Emily (4-27-04)
http://photos.yahoo.com/al_la_son *updated 8/1/04*
www.geocities.com/al_la_son

Old August 3rd 04, 01:57 AM
Terri and Rob

If it is a routine eye check, then you should wait until age three. If you
suspect a problem and need to check them earlier than that, I am not sure of
the age at which that can be done. My good friend is an optometrist, so I
can ask her for you.

--

Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

Old August 3rd 04, 02:19 PM
Frisbee®

Allyson Edwards wrote:
What's the earliest babies can get their vision checked?
What's the norm....?

Thanks in advance!

Infants are naturally near-sighted, but if you suspect a problem, see
someone ASAP.

The sooner a problem is detected, the better.

--
Fris "Eye Sea Ewe" bee®, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics

Old August 3rd 04, 02:45 PM
Missy in Indiana

What's the earliest babies can get their vision checked?
What's the norm....?

For infants/toddlers, they are routinely "looked at" with a regular check-up
with your ped. As far as a real exam goes, it can be done at any age via
dilation, etc. As a parent of a toddler with vision problems, I urge you to
contact a pediatric opthamologist (not optometrist) *if* you notice problems.
For example, if one eye is crossing, etc. The earlier a problem can be
addressed, the larger chance it can be corrected vs. worsening to a
uncontrolled/surgical state.

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old August 3rd 04, 06:49 PM
Allyson Edwards

Thanks so much for the info. My little girl (3mths) can look at me straight
in the eyes and just stare for a long time. I feel a good connection there.
My boy (also 3mths) has hardly yet to "stare". He has better head control
but he won't look at you straight on. He seems to stare at other things
though.
I realize babies develop differently so Im not worried right now. I was
just getting an idea of when I could have him checked if I needed to.
On a side note, my brother (37) has HORRIBLE vision and is actually blind at
night. I know what he's gone through & wanted to head it off if I could if
my son happened to have probs.
For now Ill keep an eye on him *no pun intended!*
THANKS!!!!!!

Allyson

Old August 26th 04, 02:46 PM
The Huwe Family

Because my children were premies, they had their eyes checked when they were
2 months old (a terribly awful experience.) They check on the development
of the blood vessels, etc which tend to not be developed as much as full
term babies and as a result causes eye problems in the future.

Gayle
Mom to bbg (009/24/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/d/datriplets/