Drawing/Writing question

Old November 24th 03, 01:57 AM
P. Tierney

Default Drawing/Writing question

Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to hold a
pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they generally
figure out for themselves, making it best just to let them be? Thx.

P. Tierney

Old November 24th 03, 02:17 AM
dejablues

If they are doing it wrong, it is better to show them the correct way.
Otherwise, the bad habits get ingrained. My youngest , in kindergarten,
holds the pencil way up in the middle of the shaft, and with his fingertips
not down near the end. We put a pencil grip on the pencil so he knew where
to grasp it, down near the pont for better control (the teachers
suggestion). There was no way he was going to self-correct this.

My brother teaches guitar, and this is one of his pet peeves...self-taught
guitarists usually have terrible technique and it's difficult to re-teach
them the correct way to use place their hand on the neck.

Old November 24th 03, 02:56 AM
Ericka Kammerer

P. Tierney wrote:

Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to hold a
pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they generally
figure out for themselves, making it best just to let them be? Thx.

I'm not sure what's best, but I can tell you what
we did. I did show how to hold a pencil, but I never
harped on it at all. Both of my boys seemed almost
instinctively to hold it properly, so it was almost a moot
point. I don't know what I would have done if they
had insisted on holding the pencil differently. I
probably wouldn't have done anything early on, but
as they get older there's obviously a point at which
you have to encourage a proper grip.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 24th 03, 03:36 AM
toto

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:57:50 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to hold a
pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they generally
figure out for themselves, making it best just to let them be? Thx.

P. Tierney

You will know get the benefit of the NAEYC writing workshop
that one of our teachers attended

The leaders of the workshop said several things. One tip
was to use the thinner crayons and to break them in half
because you cannot grip a shorter writing implement incorrectly.
I would suppose that a shorter pencil might do the same thing.

Or you can buy pencil grips and show the child how to grip
the pencil on those. They are available online, but they come
12 or so to a package, you can't just buy one.

The way to teach the child is to say, the pointer finger points to
the end of the pencil and the pencil rests on *tall man* You
can demonstrate as well of course.

There was a great wooden puzzle that had pieces that can
be used to trace the letters. She suggested that children
should definitely learn to write the capital letters first and not
worry about the small letters until after this. The letters can
be described easily as straight lines and curves Also the
importance of moving right to left and top to bottom was
something that was stressed.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 24th 03, 04:32 AM
dejablues

You can get pencil grips at any Staples or Office Max stores. Staples
online has them 2 for 1.29.

I found them at a dollar store, 6 for a buck.

Old November 24th 03, 07:49 AM
P. Tierney

"dejablues" wrote:

If they are doing it wrong, it is better to show them the correct way.

That leads me to ask, is there *a* correct way to do it?
Or several? And will future early-grade teachers expect
uniformity?

I suppose I learned wrong, as several have pointed out
that I don't hold a pen right. I honestly don't know what
was wrong with it, and I was a writing teacher! However,
they were teenagers by the time they got to me, so holding a
pen right wasn't exactly an issue by that point.

P. Tierney

Old November 24th 03, 07:55 AM
P. Tierney

news
wrote:

Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to hold a
pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they generally
figure out for themselves, making it best just to let them be? Thx.

P. Tierney

You will know get the benefit of the NAEYC writing workshop
that one of our teachers attended

Thanks for the tips. Another file saved.

BTW, were the "tips" geared towards a particular age?
Most of my educator conference sessions were grade or
agge specific, so I'm wondering if this was the same, or
broadly refering to any young writer/drawer. FYI, mine
will be two at the start of the year.

P. Tierney

Old November 24th 03, 02:46 PM
enigma

toto wrote in
news
wrote:

Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early
stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to
hold a pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they
generally figure out for themselves, making it best just to
let them be? Thx.

The leaders of the workshop said several things. One tip
was to use the thinner crayons and to break them in half
because you cannot grip a shorter writing implement
incorrectly. I would suppose that a shorter pencil might do
the same thing.

you have to break the crayons in half? don't the kids do that
themselves?

Or you can buy pencil grips and show the child how to grip
the pencil on those. They are available online, but they
come 12 or so to a package, you can't just buy one.

sure you can! Staples sells them in 2 packs & every
teacher/homeschool supplies store i've been in around here (at
least 5) has had a bin of different colored ones for 50 cents
each or so. let the kid pick thier current favorite color. the
ed.supply stores also carry the fat beginners pencils.

The way to teach the child is to say, the pointer finger
points to the end of the pencil and the pencil rests on
*tall man* You can demonstrate as well of course.

i tend to crab up on the point of the writing implement.
that's something to avoid. with most pens you end up getting
inky fingers that way.

There was a great wooden puzzle that had pieces that can
be used to trace the letters. She suggested that children
should definitely learn to write the capital letters first
and not worry about the small letters until after this.
The letters can be described easily as straight lines and
curves Also the importance of moving right to left and
top to bottom was something that was stressed.

there are also fonts you can download that are dotted letters
that are good for tracing practice, especially if you can get
your printer to print in greys or yellow.
however, if i remember correctly, P's daughter isn't even 2
yet, so i don't think she's ready to learn to print
most early 2 year olds are still holding the crayon/pencil in
a fist, but they should be getting better at fine motor
control over the year, so that around 3 or so they hold the
pencil with thumb & forefinger. you can show her how to hold
the crayon/pencil correctly, but she may not have the fine
motor control to actually do that herself yet.
lee who's 3 year old can't hold a pencil correctly & can't do
more than scribble... but he finally got how to use sissors
Old November 24th 03, 02:59 PM
toto

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:55:46 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

BTW, were the "tips" geared towards a particular age?
Most of my educator conference sessions were grade or
agge specific, so I'm wondering if this was the same, or
broadly refering to any young writer/drawer. FYI, mine
will be two at the start of the year.

We are preschool teachers, so this was geared to ages
3 to 5, but I would think that if you teach your child earlier
it can't hurt.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 24th 03, 05:08 PM
iphigenia

P. Tierney wrote:
Is it generally advisable, when a child is in the early stages of
drawing, to teach or model what might be a proper way to hold a
pen/pencil/crayon? Or, is this something that they generally
figure out for themselves, making it best just to let them be? Thx.

I help DS (28 mos) with his grip only so far as to help him get better
control; e.g., I show him that holding the pencil closer to the point,
rather than six inches up, makes it easier for him : ) But I don't insist
that his fingers must be placed precisely the way I hold a pencil.

I don't actually remember anyone showing me how to hold a writing implement;
either it was too early to recall or it was mostly based on modeling.

Really, I should think that any way a person holds a pen that gives them
comfort and control would be correct.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

nutrition question on year old blacksalt General 12 January 21st 05 08:52 PM
Co-sleeping question Kari General 15 January 28th 04 03:49 AM
sling question for parents of twins (x-posted) Hope General 7 November 13th 03 04:44 AM
| Med records question. Kane General 0 October 6th 03 12:21 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM