Solids how many times a day?

Old April 8th 04, 12:35 AM
Jinxie

Default Solids how many times a day?

Hi,

Joseph is five months old as of yesterday. I started him on cereal
(about a tablespoon) when he was four months. Now he's up to about
three tablespoons of cereal in the mornings with the same amount of
either apples or bananas & in the evening he gets the same amounts of
a vegetable & a fruit. So the questions are.........

How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

Do you only feed cereal in the mornings?

I used to know all this actually, but there's a bit of a gap between
my babies. lol

So far he loves the combination of peas & applesauce, squash &
bananas, peaches & sweet potatoes. He also loves green beans & pears.
They don't have many options for a green veggie that I can find
anywhere. I don't feed regular gerber because I don't see the need
for cornstarch, but we do use the organic one. We're not starting
meat until six or seven months. I think his breastfeeding has tapered
off a bit that's why i'm asking the frequency of solids in any one
day. He eats in the morning before he fully wakes up. He has cereal
about an hour after he fully wakes up. He eats to fall asleep for his
nap. Around six or so he has his fruit & veggies then he nurses for
bedtime & sleep a few hours later. He has a bottle with some water in
it, but he mostly just chews on it. Sometimes he'll tip it up to get
a drink but not often. He's gotten my head cold at the moment & is
stuffy, so he's comfort nursing between sniffles. I have saline spray
for that. We're flying next Wednesday to see his grandma for the
first time in Idaho from California. Three hour flight to Portland
then a one hour flight from there to Spokane. Any tips for flying
with a baby or with a baby that has the sniffles? Thanks if you got
this far & TIA for any help or info.

Jinxie / Brandy

Jessica Rae (Jessie) 22-June-86
Russell John (CJ) 08-Feb-89
Joseph Kieran (Ki) 06-Nov-03
also assorted kids of the four-footed variety
Old April 8th 04, 12:45 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Jinxie wrote:

How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

If it's any help, my DD at 10 months rarely eats as large a quantity of
solids as your DS does at 5 months. She usually has 2-3 Tablespoons
of sweet potato in the morning, whatever bites of meat and rice she's
interested in in the evening, and whatever we're having for lunch. She
eats a lot of rice, because we always have rice.

I think his breastfeeding has tapered
off a bit that's why i'm asking the frequency of solids

He should be getting the majority of his nutrition from bf at this point.

Phoebe

Old April 8th 04, 04:30 AM
Nikki

Jinxie wrote:

How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

I was on a slightly different schedule since I didn't start solids with Luke
until 6 months. He had one meal a day for roughly 3 weeks, then two meals a
day for a couple weeks and by 6-8 weeks after starting solids he was eating
3 meals a day.

Do you only feed cereal in the mornings?

No. I generally fed fruit. Sometimes he'd have adult cereal. I think what
ever you want to do/he prefers is OK.

I think his breastfeeding has tapered
off a bit that's why i'm asking the frequency of solids in any one
day.

It is often recommended to nurse before you feed the solids up to 12mos to
ensure he continues to get adequate amounts of breastmilk.

Any tips for flying
with a baby or with a baby that has the sniffles?

Is he old enough for decongestants? You'd probably want to try ahead of
time to be sure he wouldn't react badly. I hope he sleeps a lot for you!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old April 9th 04, 05:49 AM
Naomi Pardue

Now he's up to about
three tablespoons of cereal in the mornings with the same amount of
either apples or bananas & in the evening he gets the same amounts of
a vegetable & a fruit.

That sounds like quite a lot of solids for a baby who is barely 5 months old.
(Large amount and, based on what you write in your next paragraph, quite a
large variety.)

How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

At this age solids are really just for fun. Once a day should be plenty (and
he really doesn't NEED them at all yet). If he's cutting back on his nursing,
that is a good indication that he's getting too many solids.

Do you only feed cereal in the mornings?

It doesn't really matter what time of day you give solids (cereal or others),
but I'd probably stick to once a day for a while yet.

He has a bottle with some water in
it, but he mostly just chews on it.

Any special reason you are giving him bottles of water? He doesn't really need
water either. (If he's getting constipated from the cereal and you're trying to
offer water for that reason, a better option might be to just cut back the
cereal.)

He's gotten my head cold at the moment & is
stuffy, so he's comfort nursing between sniffles.

That's great. If your milk supply has dropped a bit due to his cutting back on
nursing, the frequent feeding should help bring it up again

.. He eats in the morning before he fully wakes up. He has cereal
about an hour after he fully wakes up. He eats to fall asleep for his
nap. Around six or so he has his fruit & veggies then he nurses for
bedtime & sleep a few hours later.

Am I reading this to mean that he's nursing 3 times a day (in the morning,
before his nap, and before bedtime)? If so, that's REALLY low for a 5 month
old, and would explain why he's so hungry for solids. Better to nurse him
more, and offer solids only after he's had a good nursing session.
(6-8 nursings or more would be what you would expect to see at this age,
comfort nursing for bad colds being addtional.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old April 9th 04, 06:58 PM
teapot

Jinxie wrote in message . ..
Hi,

Joseph is five months old as of yesterday. I started him on cereal
(about a tablespoon) when he was four months. Now he's up to about
three tablespoons of cereal in the mornings with the same amount of
either apples or bananas & in the evening he gets the same amounts of
a vegetable & a fruit. So the questions are.........

How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

Do you only feed cereal in the mornings?

Moo is 10 mths old and I started him on solids at 6mth but he wasnt
really interested until 8mths.

A typical day is:
6.30am nurse
8.30 a banana, or oats and bananas, or a pear or a bit of mango
10.30 nurse
12.00 potato, carrots, squash, courgette or whatever steamed and cut
into fingers for him,
2.30pm nurse
4.00pm more veg, sometimes in a mild coconut curry, sometimes a
chickpea flower pancake
6.30pm nurse, possibly bedtime 1 if we are lucky
8.00pm more nursing, possibly bedtime 2 after some potato or a rice
cake
10.00 more nursing
1am nurse

He gets unlimited watered down apple juice and mini rice cakes
througout the day if he wants them. He gets no wheat, dairy, meat,
fish or soya though he does have pulses occasionaly.

My milk supply is just the same as ever.

Teapot
Old April 9th 04, 07:00 PM
teapot

Jinxie wrote in message . ..
Hi,

Joseph is five months old as of yesterday. I started him on cereal
(about a tablespoon) when he was four months. Now he's up to about
three tablespoons of cereal in the mornings with the same amount of
either apples or bananas & in the evening he gets the same amounts of
a vegetable & a fruit. So the questions are.........

How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

Do you only feed cereal in the mornings?

forgot to say I don't give him cereal cos I hate expresing milk to mix
it with and I don't trust the ingredients! He gets flaked organic
wholegrain rice sometimes instead.

teapot
Old April 10th 04, 08:30 PM
Cheryl S.

"Jinxie" wrote in message
How many times a day do you feed your baby if you're on solids?

At five months, my baby had no solids at all. Now, at seven months,
he's offered cereal once a day, and has tried bananas, peas, apples, and
sweet potatoes. He does not eat very much of it. He nurses about 8
times a day.

Do you only feed cereal in the mornings?

I'm still experimenting with time of day. He'll eat more heartily
around dinner time, but then has gas that keeps him awake too much from
about 2:30 AM on, so I'm not feeding him then. So far he has not wanted
to eat at breakfast time or lunch time though.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months