Indoor toddler climbing eqpmnt recs pls

Old July 23rd 04, 01:43 PM
Cheryl S.

Default Indoor toddler climbing eqpmnt recs pls

My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to be
a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it on
his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations for some
suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 10 months

Old July 23rd 04, 02:26 PM
Nikki

Cheryl S. wrote:
My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to
be a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it
on his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations
for some suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!

I desperately wanted one of those giant plastic toddler play yard things,
with the little slide. It is big but would be OK in the house. I also
really wanted one of those things from IKEA where they can stand at the
kitchen counter. It has sides so you don't have to worry about knocking
them down. I didn't get one so can't speak from experience but they looked
great, lol.

What I did have was a set of stairs for free, lol. Luke *loved* those. I
also allow climbing on my couch. I know that is a no-no for some people.
We'd put the cushions on the floor and use one for a ramp from the couch to
the floor. Wow - rowdy fun had by all, lol.

When I scrub the kitchen I moved all those chairs into the living room and
they had a hayday climbing over, under, and around those.

Those are all of my ideas! Luke was climber too.

--
Nikki

Old July 23rd 04, 03:17 PM
Mary W.

"Cheryl S." wrote:

My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to be
a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it on
his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations for some
suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!

We have a collapsable tunnel that Emma liked to crawl through. And along
the lines of what Nikki said, I think you can get those step2 outdoor
equipment with just a slide/ladder that wouldn't be too big for indoors.

Like this (although I've seen smaller I think):
http://tinyurl.com/54j7t

Or something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/62j9s

You could do a ball pit too, if you can stand it.

Mary

Old July 23rd 04, 03:37 PM
Nikki

Mary W. wrote:

You could do a ball pit too, if you can stand it.

If you can stand it is right, lol. My kids were given a big one as a gift.
They did like it a lot, and it was nice to have in the winter - sort of ;-)
It is huge, ugly, and has about 100 balls to fling around.

--
Nikki

Old July 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Cheryl S." wrote:

My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to be
a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it on
his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations for some
suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!

I'm not sure what's available now, but one of the things I got when my
kids were small was a sort of build-your-own jungle gym: it had PVC
pipe in various lengths, and several shapes of joiners. When the kids
were small, I could build something smallish for them to climb on
indoors, but take it down when it started to get in the way. As they
got larger, they started building their own things. It was expensive,
but lasted as a useful indoor/outdoor kid toy for many years, and was
especially useful in a smallish condo, where we weren't allowed to leave
anything outdoors overnight.

Old July 23rd 04, 07:07 PM
Penny Gaines

dragonlady wrote in
:

In article ,
"Cheryl S." wrote:

[...]

That sounds like Quadro, which I was going to suggest. I don't know
how easy it is to get abroad, but they have a website he
www.quadro.de

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old July 23rd 04, 08:37 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Penny Gaines wrote:

dragonlady wrote in
:

In article ,
"Cheryl S." wrote:

[...]

That's it! It's expensive, but I think it may be one of the best toy
investments we made, as it went from us building smallish things that
satisfied the kids' need to climb to them designing and building things
from houses to jungle gyms to cars to lemonade stands. For my money, it
meets the highest standard for toys, since it has multiple uses and can
be used over multiple ages, can be added to by buying more kits if you
want to, and is sturdy.

Old July 25th 04, 03:41 AM
Irene

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to be
a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it on
his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations for some
suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!

We have a small slide that started outside, and came inside for the
winter. I got it at a garage sale a couple years ago, so it's
probably not the current model, but that was popular, and not too big.

We also sometimes pulled the cushions off the couch and made stuff to
climb on.

Ds wasn't much of a climber, so I don't know if those will satisfy a
truly determined climber!

Irene
Old July 25th 04, 05:17 AM
Tina

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to be
a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it on
his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations for some
suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!

Hi Cheryl!

Lana's a climber, too. Isn't it funny how early this is apparent? I
thought Sage did her fair share of climbing things, but she was
nothing like Lana. In our case, I have to seriously limit the amount
of climbing she does -- indoors or out -- because of her bleeding
disorder (can't really hit her head often ; )), but I did sign her up
for a toddler gymnastics class that was very helpful. They had
classes for 12-24 months, and 24-36 months, and she got to do balance
beams, hula hoops, tunnels, mats and trampolines, etc... It diluted
the need to climb for awhile, and also, I think, made her
coordination better so that I don't worry quite so much when she
climbs.

Any of those pieces of equiptment could be modified to fit in just
about any space, and I could detail the games and setups, too, when
winter gets closer -- we can brainstorm ways to tire them out while
we're buried in snow.

Last week we were at the Step2 store, and they had some things that I
think could work inside -- depending on the height of the ceiling in
the room you're talking about. I'm thinking of a little firetruck
thing that doesn't have moving wheels, but is more of a boy-oriented
(sorry, not PC, both my girls want this thing, though) playset to
counter the kitchen stuff. I don't think the main intention is for
strictly climbing, but it's definitely climbable (guess how I
know!?!), and it has other interesting things, too -- steering wheel,
little place to stand and pretend you're the firefighter on the back
part, etc... I don't remeber how much it cost, but I can get you a
catalog next time we're out there (don't know if you have that store
up there).

Ikea does seem to have some neat climbable things, but from what I
recall, they're all furniture first, more for a calm child on a rainy
day, not strictly playthings -- but it might be worth a look. We got
our new catalog today but my mom borrowed it, so I can't look now.

Magic Cabin always has those benches with a post across the top --
could be used for some climbing as well as many other kinds of play.

I'll post more if I think of anything.

Good Luck -- get your first aid kit ready!

Tina.
Old July 25th 04, 12:57 PM
Penny Gaines

Irene wrote in :

We also sometimes pulled the cushions off the couch and made stuff to
climb on.

Oh yes, we did that too, adding in pillows and bulky blankets. If you have
planks of wood, those could be used as a balancing beam, when placed
between chairs etc.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three