calorically dense toddler snacks?

Old January 26th 04, 07:28 PM
Clisby

Default calorically dense toddler snacks?

Tine Andersen wrote:
"New York Jen" skrev i en meddelelse
t...

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks?

avocado?
I wonder about something like smoothies?
cream cheese, liver paste, etc on crackers?

EWWWW Liver?! Why would you do that to a child?!!

:-)

Mine love it. On the other hand they love broccoli as well so they are
probably just weird.

Tine, Denmark

I wish mine liked liver. As it is, I'm the only one in this 3-person
household who will eat it, so I hardly ever fix it.

Clisby

Old January 26th 04, 07:43 PM
HollyLewis

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed.

[clip]
but it's snacking I'm focusing on, as
she tends toward the lower calorie things at snacktime (fruits, pretzels
and so forth). Packable items are also needed...

Try offering her usual snacks with dip. Guacamole, sour cream/cream cheese
based herb dips, or hummus would work well with pretzels; yogurt or whipped
cream based sweet dips with fruit.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old January 26th 04, 07:49 PM
Sara

Hillary Israeli wrote:

Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed.

Hey, that sounds just like _my_ four-toothed, 15-month-old, skinny
toddler!

--
Sara, adding nothing useful to the conversation
Old January 26th 04, 07:54 PM
Shannon

I had (still have!) a skinny minnie boy. My ped directed us toward
"nutritionally dense" as opposed to simply "calorically dense" foods. We
had lots of teeth by 15 months, but gums are amazingly strong things!

Some examples of snacks suggested to us we
Canteloupe cubes - VERY popular, and very nutritionally dense
Cheese - DS esp. loves goat cheese
Berries - raspberries, blueberries, etc.
Sweet potato - baked, then either cubed or mashed
Squash - steamed
Tofu
Cottage Cheese
Yogurt - esp. Yo Baby by Stonyfield Farms

We added to this list ourselves:
Turkey hot dogs or sometimes Tofu pups
Pasta (rotini, esp.) with butter or olive oil
Naan (indian bread, often stuffed with potatoes and peas)
Bananas
Cereals like Cheerios or Kix
Sushi - from a reputable source, safe after 1 year, according to our nurse
practitioner. Not that we had a choice - DS stole it from our plates!

Is there anything medical that could be causing the drop in percentile?
Does she *look* healthy, just thin? I tend to put much more stock in how
kids look than what the numbers say, but that's just me.

-Shannon

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
Anyone have any tips for calorie-dense toddler snacks? My 15 month old
daughter isn't gaining weight well and I need some ideas. She only has
four teeth (incisors only!) which I think is why some things, like cheese
cubes, tend to go into her mouth for a while and come back out as a
softened glob after being mouthed for a while instead of actually
swallowed. She enjoys pretzels and raisins and fruits and beans... but
she's gone from 45th %ile to 7th %ile for weight over her last four well
baby visits and I've been instructed to up her calorie intake....She
always has eaten well at mealtimes but it's snacking I'm focusing on, as
she tends toward the lower calorie things at snacktime (fruits, pretzels
and so forth). Packable items are also needed...

thanks,
h.

Old January 26th 04, 07:57 PM
Dawn Lawson

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

New York Jen wrote:

Wow...I guess in these parts liver is looked at more as a "punishment"
type
of food! Didn't mean anything by it...I guess I have to learn to
expand my
horizons a lil bit!

I absolutely cannot eat liver as it is normally prepared (I gag on the
texture and taste) but I love liverwurst.

That's it. I hate Liver. But I and DS love fine liverwurst/liver
paste/pate. (Tho I confess the stuff my folks brought back from France
was YUK!) Fine herbed liver paste (fine as opposed to coarse)

YUM!

It's amazing what kids will eat if you offer it "without prejudice" I
don't like mushrooms, but DS eats them happily. Even stuff he didn't
like on first try I try to offer again without saying "you don'nt like
XX" and let him try it. He eats tomatos now where he didn't at 12mo
(REALLY didn't)

Dawn

Old January 26th 04, 08:02 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
H Schinske wrote:
*
*Let's see, Hillary, your daughter's too young for peanut butter, right? I used

Not IMO. She eats it occasionally in a sandwhich. I gave it to her at
about 13 mos.

*to give Peter soy nut butter. You could marinate veggies or fruits in
*oil-vinegar dressing, too, or oil and lemon juice. Hummus with a lot of olive
*oil and tahini, maybe?

She does like hummus, I'll have to whip some up and keep it around. I
never really thought of marinating fruit in an oily dressing. I wonder if
I could come up with something palatable. Thanks for the thought.

Old January 26th 04, 08:02 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Clisby wrote:

*Whole-milk yogurt?

She has been eating that, about 2-3 oz a day if we're lucky. It's not
really her favorite thing. I plan to continue offering it but am looking
for some other ideas

Old January 26th 04, 08:18 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
HollyLewis wrote:

*Try offering her usual snacks with dip. Guacamole, sour cream/cream cheese
*based herb dips, or hummus would work well with pretzels; yogurt or whipped
*cream based sweet dips with fruit.

Because dips are SO packable, right? grin just teasing, Holly. She
actually does eat cream cheese on just about everything. I always spread
some onto her strawberry slices before I give her those - the kid will eat
cream cheese with a spoon if I let her (which I actually do, so I don't
know why I say that...)

Good idea about dipping the pretzels into hummus.

Today for a snack I mixed some flax meal and some pastuerized egg white
into a bowl of vanilla ice cream and started spoonfeeding it to her. She
clearly wanted to drink it so I put it into a cup, let it melt a bit, and
gave it back to her. She drank half, and poured half into her lap. Hee
hee.

She's actually eaten a ton today. She ate like 7 strawberries, plus a few
bites of french toast, and two bites of bagel, and all the cream cheese
sucked off the entire bagel. Then for snacks so far she's had about 2 oz
of banana/oatmeal/peach puree, about 1/2 cup or so of elbow macaroni with
a rich cheese sauce, half of a peanut-butter goldfish-cracker sandwhich,
the ice cream drink thing, and a cube of frozen cherry/yogurt/egg
white/milk smoothie eaten as finger food. She loves finger foods. Lunch
today was maybe half a chicken finger and some fries - she wasn't really
into it so much but she did snack heavily prior to lunch. She's napping
now....