can crying infant cause choking?

Old August 13th 06, 02:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default can crying infant cause choking?

Last night our 4 1/2 month baby cried so hard in the car that he
started choking. I knew something was wrong while I was driving
because he just suddenly stopped crying. Thank goodness his grandma
was sitting in the back seat with him. She said something was wrong
and I needed to pull over. He couldn't breath and I had to rush him
out of the car seat and I hit his back a few times. He then threw up
and resumed crying. He was choked up for at least 30 seconds (maybe
longer). It was really scary. Has anything like this happened to
anyone else?

Old August 14th 06, 06:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

The problem is he always cries in the car. I've tried pulling over,
but as soon as I calm him down and put him back in his car seat, he
starts back up again. I just don't know what to do. We've tried
everything (feeding him before the ride; not feeding him before the
ride; having someone sit with him; having plenty to dangling toys for
him to look at, etc). I even went out and got the Britax carseat, but
nothing seems to work. I was afraid one day he would choke himself
cause he cries so much, and it finally did happen. I'm really
concerned it'll happen again.

On 2006-08-13 21:22:03 +0800, said:

Last night our 4 1/2 month baby cried so hard in the car that he
started choking. I knew something was wrong while I was driving
because he just suddenly stopped crying. Thank goodness his grandma
was sitting in the back seat with him. She said something was wrong
and I needed to pull over. He couldn't breath and I had to rush him
out of the car seat and I hit his back a few times. He then threw up
and resumed crying. He was choked up for at least 30 seconds (maybe
longer). It was really scary. Has anything like this happened to
anyone else?

Crying can cause vomiting, so yeah, he coulda been choking on vomit, I guess.

I'd always pull over before DS got to that point tho. I couldn't
concentrate on driving otherwise!

Jo

--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old August 14th 06, 06:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Marie

wrote in message
oups.com...
The problem is he always cries in the car. I've tried pulling over,
but as soon as I calm him down and put him back in his car seat, he
starts back up again. I just don't know what to do. We've tried
everything (feeding him before the ride; not feeding him before the
ride; having someone sit with him; having plenty to dangling toys for
him to look at, etc). I even went out and got the Britax carseat, but
nothing seems to work. I was afraid one day he would choke himself
cause he cries so much, and it finally did happen. I'm really
concerned it'll happen again.

My third baby was like that in the car, and I would sit beside her and nurse
her while someone else drove.
Marie

Old August 14th 06, 08:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
thefamilyhurst

Our youngest daughter would scream and scream in the car. At one point
we wished we could get a purple flashing light for the top (as she
seemed to calm over about 55Mph) once we stopped that was it.....

It is scarey that they do start chocking but I am guessing it is pretty
rare, our girl gave up breathing, turning purple, screaming more etc
etc. Until I started singing in the car, and carried on doing it until
she was about 15 months old.

Now, I am no X Factor singer trust me, but it beats the hell out of
teaching your little one that if he/she screams in the car that nanny
(or other) will sit in the back and soothe her. You are making a rod
for your back on that one honey.

Anyhow. Needless to say she loves the car now (she is 3) but still
very rarely sleeps in the car (even on long journeys)

English Dad !

Old August 15th 06, 01:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
stasya

thefamilyhurst wrote:
Now, I am no X Factor singer trust me, but it beats the hell out of

teaching your little one that if he/she screams in the car that nanny
(or other) will sit in the back and soothe her. You are making a rod
for your back on that one honey.

English Dad !

A nanny? Someone has a nanny? Where would you get a nanny? Is it a
British thing? Cause seriously, if there were people available to
entertain my children while in the car on our weekly 2 hour trips to
the city, I'd sure love it....

Ok I'm just kidding, I just had to chaf you about the oh so casual
nanny thing thrown in. People around here think I'm a snoot if I refer
to our 40 hour a week babysitter as a nanny. Really, how more full time
a babysitter can you have before she's essentially a nanny? (I live in
small town red-neck country....)

Stasya

Old August 15th 06, 03:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amy Austin

wrote:
Last night our 4 1/2 month baby cried so hard in the car that he
started choking. I knew something was wrong while I was driving
because he just suddenly stopped crying. Thank goodness his grandma
was sitting in the back seat with him. She said something was wrong
and I needed to pull over. He couldn't breath and I had to rush him
out of the car seat and I hit his back a few times. He then threw up
and resumed crying. He was choked up for at least 30 seconds (maybe
longer). It was really scary. Has anything like this happened to
anyone else?

My kid never choked from crying, but she choked on her spit when she
was laughing. She was teething at the time, and was drooling a lot,
and giggling, and all of a sudden she just stopped and got this
terrified look in her eyes, and I had to flip her over and do back
blows to get her to resume breathing.

Thank God for Infant CPR classes.

Do you have a mirror back there? We got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...107248?ie=UTF8

and it really helped. I held on to the remote when she was little, and
could turn it on and off to entertain her. Now that she's bigger, she
likes to hold the remote herself (she is so her father's daughter). It
enables me to see her, which I love, and it also enables her to see the
magical "baby in the mirror" who always helps her be calm and happy.
It was well worth the $20 we paid for it at Walmart, and ours is a
slightly cooler design, with fish instead of creepy animals.

The good news is that your baby will, eventually, outgrow the hatred of
the carseat. Mine screamed when she was little, too, and now she's
cool. I hear it's better with second kids because they have their
older brother or sister back there to entertain them.

Hang in there,
Amy

Old August 16th 06, 12:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last night our 4 1/2 month baby cried so hard in the car that he
started choking. I knew something was wrong while I was driving
because he just suddenly stopped crying. Thank goodness his grandma
was sitting in the back seat with him. She said something was wrong
and I needed to pull over. He couldn't breath and I had to rush him
out of the car seat and I hit his back a few times. He then threw up
and resumed crying. He was choked up for at least 30 seconds (maybe
longer). It was really scary. Has anything like this happened to
anyone else?

Hiya

I don't know if it helps, but my DD (7weeks) has been poorly (?teething)
this week, and gettting herself in a state, On Saturday night she was crying
her little heart out, and headbutted me, which was just the last straw for
her - I looked at her, and she'd stopped breathing - I tipped her forward
and she let out a massive wail....believe me, that one was better than the
cry she gave when she was born! It's scary, but well done for acting
quickly.

DD when through a stage of hating the car - my suggestion's contraversial,
but it worked for me. I gave her a pacifier (although I hate them) for a few
trips, as even openening the car doors would set her off. Once I broke the
cycle of her crying, she was ok, and now travels without it. Also, you could
check that the carseat is comy - if the straps a bit tight, or the head
hugger is in the wrong position, he won't like being in there. We also get
moving as fast as possible - DH gets in, and has the keys in the ignition,
as soon as she's in and her door's shut, I'm in and we're off!

Take care

Lucy x

Old August 16th 06, 08:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

We've had the remote control lighted mirror since he was a few weeks
old. It does not help when he gets into his fits. We have (and tried)
everything. Mirror, mobile, Britax, window down, someone sitting with
him. Nothing helps. He doesn't always cry, but once he starts he
can't stop, and the crying turns into screaming, gurgling, gagging,
etc.

Old August 17th 06, 12:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

Sounds like my DD. I'm kind of glad to know she's not the only one, since we
get so many comments about how strange it is for a baby not to like the car.
I was almost starting to think there was something wrong with her...

ups.com...

No more problems fungus Pregnancy 26 November 27th 05 12:32 AM
Chiro care of baby penises (also: Dr. Poland never sued Dr. Gastaldo) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 6 April 7th 04 04:58 PM
CA Gov. Candidate Warren Farrell speaks on responsibility of both parents Wizardlaw Child Support 28 September 3rd 03 08:58 AM