My son's friend

Old October 15th 08, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Default My son's friend

Shelley wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

snip
So my advice is: don't talk about, talk with and try to work something
out. They don't have to become best friends, but setting up playdates
might make it easier for both kids to realize that they don't play well
together and that there might be better friends out there with whom they
do play together well.

The feeling I'm getting from my son J is that he doesn't hate C and wouldn't
mind playing with him some of the time but sometimes would like to do his
own thing with his other friends too. I'm not sure about talking with C's
mother either as she seems to have some of her own issues (father is not in
the picture and they live with the grandpartents)

And? I always feel so insulted when people don't come to me with
problems because "you have so much on your plate already" meaning me
being a single mom of two. They let things escalate before telling me
which makes the problems so much harder to "fix". I mean, if something's
been going on for half a year without me knowing I can usually not fix
them withing 3 days while the teacher/parent/whoever thinks "It's been
going on for half a year, when's she finally getting a handle on that
kid?!" and usually results in the "Oh, I can see you're very overwhelmed
with your children" No, I'm not, I'm just overwhelmed with people not
telling me the truth and assuming stuff instead of talking to me!

Single mothers aren't any different than married mothers. Imagine that:
A military wife whose husband's gone to Iraq for 18 months gets treated
differently than me because OMG she's married and has a husband and I'm
not. Or the wife whose husband goes on business trips that last weeks. I
mean, who's raising those kids? Is that mom just as overwhelmed as me in
other peoples eyes? At least I'm not sitting here worried that my
husband might get killed.

They have had some playdates as they live right down the road from my mother
(J's after school caregiver). I think they get along OK but are not best
buddies.

Well, they don't have to be best buddies, they just have to keep on
getting along. And in my experience the best way for kids to get along
well is for them to interact a lot. So they can get a feel for how the
other one might react. I don't know how applicable that is for a child
with Aspergers, but it's definitely applicable for your son. And this
way he can learn different ways to deal with "clingy" peers.

cu
nicole
Old October 16th 08, 11:32 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"NL" wrote in message
Shelley wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

[...]

I didn't see her comment that way. I saw the "some issues" as "liable to
blow up at me" or cause problems in another way, or even burst into tears.
Not "she can't cope because she's a single mum".
Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't see being a single mum as a reason not to
approach a parent with an issue you think they are best dealing with.
However it seems that this issue is happening at school, and the teacher is
sending notes home so the teacher is the one to approach.
Debbie

Old October 16th 08, 11:50 AM posted to misc.kids
Shelley

I didn't mean to offend. This was me trying to be tactful. The issue isn't
her being a single mom. I think she may have some of her own "social
problems". My sister was friends with her growing up and said she was
always a bit off. She seems to rely heavily on her parents and they were
awarded guardianship of C at one point early on. It's my feeling that they
don't really have the resources and understanding of how to deal with some
of his issues either.

--
Shelley
mom to 2 boys (6 and 3)

Old October 16th 08, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Shelley wrote:
I didn't mean to offend. This was me trying to be tactful. The issue isn't

I didn't feel offended, it's just that it's happened to me a lot of
times now and I think it's stupid. The problems Sam has in school now
started in kindergarten with a teacher who didn't approach me because
we'd just moved here so I was obviously busy... ARGH. He learned then
that he can get away with really horrid behavior while I'm not around,
and since then people some how assume that because he's doing it when
I'm not there he's doing it at home, too. And even worse, one teacher
accused me of being physically violent towards him!

her being a single mom. I think she may have some of her own "social
problems". My sister was friends with her growing up and said she was
always a bit off. She seems to rely heavily on her parents and they were
awarded guardianship of C at one point early on. It's my feeling that they
don't really have the resources and understanding of how to deal with some
of his issues either.

So she'll need to learn to deal. And she won't feel she needs to if she
always gets left out of the picture "because she can't deal with this".
I'm sure there are some organizations around who have parenting classes
available at little or even no cost, self help groups with parents of
special needs children, etc.

I'm not saying this is your job, just that she'll not become a better
parent if she doesn't even know she's not being the best parent she
could be. You know? It's kind of hard to explain...

cu
nicole
Old October 17th 08, 04:18 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Shelley wrote:

My son, J, doesn't really want to play with this boy, C, but C won't leave
him alone. C will always sit with him on the bus and follow him around on
the playground.

My son was in a very similar situation in the 1st grade. When it was
finally figured out that there was a situation the counselor handled it
with both boys and things were 99.9% better. It wasn't a major deal.
They worked with the kid that wanted to be left alone to write a letter
to the clinger explaining things. They told him to use specific phrases
with clinger kid. They spoke with clinger kid and helped him understand
it all and to respond appropriately to those specific phrases. Problem
solved. They also worked with clinger boy to stand up for himself
because the situation, left un-addressed, did move into bulling
territory. Neither boy is a bad kid, they just needed a little guidance
and it all worked out well. With no intervention I think it would have
gotten really ugly.

I'd talk to the teacher. I'd leave the other mother out of it for now.
I'm not sure what that would accomplish other then making everyone
uncomfortable.

-

Nikki
Old October 18th 08, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"toypup" wrote in message

I think you're being harsh. Kids need to figure things out, but they
could use guidance. Teachers should send notes home when things get out
of hand. Otherwise, how would the parent know when things are not good?

the kids usually throw them away on the way home

mk5000