Hello and Help

Old August 7th 03, 06:27 PM
Alison

Default Hello and Help

Hi there,

I've been lurking for about a week and fortunately found this ng at *just*
the right time whenI was at my lowest on b/f feel good factors. I'm 38 and
a first time mum to Rowan who is now 8 weeks old. He was 6 weeks pre-term
though very healthy but we've had our trials and tribulations. We both had
thrush (only diagnosed last week *sigh*) and that made for very painful
b/feeding where I thought I must be doing something wrong with positioning
or latch. We're through it now. He also has reflux but we're getting the
hang of working with that now.

I seem to have very tender nipples so one day in 7 I express all my milk and
he gets it in a bottle. He's quite happy to switch between breast and
bottle though I know in some circles it's not pc to use a bottle. It gives
my boobs a rest and means that I am happy to continue b/feeding rather than
give up in agony.

I do have a question though. DP has always done the last feed of the day,
every day, by EBM bottle cos we feel it's important for him to get bonding
time too (I pump for this amount earlier in the day.) So I pump whilst he
feeds. But, on the 6 'breast' days, I get a really small amount - like 50
mls in total! - and I'm glad I'm *not* feeding lil baba cos he'd squawk all
night if he got only that. Why is the amount so small on the 6 'breast'
days? I mean, it's not as if he's drawing any off and there's a least 3
hours since he last fed. It's about 100mls on a pump day (I don't seem to
be a mega producer of milk but it's obviously enough for him cos he's
growing at about 6-8oz per week). I'm mystified.

Many thanks
--Alison

Old August 7th 03, 06:46 PM
Anne Rogers

welcome to this group, Alison

a lot of other posters often get only 50mls, just under 2ozs, in a session
(I've never got less than 3oz), apparently also pumping output decreases
with time, though I'm not sure why. What time to you pump on the 6 normal
days? First thing in the morning is often best, Nathanael now only has 1
night waking, he feeds from one breast then and when I wake up which is
usually before he wakes up I pump from the other.

if you want to increase your supply, try oatmeal, I started eating it for
breakfast last week and its great, I think Nathanael has had less fussy
wanting the breast constantly periods than before, plus I actually love
the oatmeal, it surprised me, I've never been very good at breakfast
before!

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old August 7th 03, 08:56 PM
Ilse Witch

Alison wrote:

I seem to have very tender nipples so one day in 7 I express all my milk and
he gets it in a bottle. He's quite happy to switch between breast and
bottle though I know in some circles it's not pc to use a bottle.

If it works for you, then why worry? The reason why people bother with
using bottles is nipple confusion. Personally I have no experience with
that, since DS was a great nurser and never had any problems switching
to a bottle at all. In fact, we had a similar system to yours, where DH
would do the last feeding while I was pumping each day. It sounds like
your son also has no problems with switching, which is a true blessing.

Why is the amount so small on the 6 'breast'
days? I mean, it's not as if he's drawing any off and there's a least 3
hours since he last fed. It's about 100mls on a pump day (I don't seem to
be a mega producer of milk but it's obviously enough for him cos he's
growing at about 6-8oz per week). I'm mystified.

Pumping isn't as efficient as nursing, so the idea that comes to my mind
is that on pumping days you simply have more milk left, since you didn't
pump as much as he would drink. I'm sure that if you would nurse instead
of bottle feed on b/days he would be able to get a lot more than you get
when you pump.

It may also be a letdown issue. IME double pumping was far more efficient
in producing a letdown than single pumping. Since I had to pump at work
I decided to invest in a Medela Pump-In-Style, and I never regretted it.
You can also rent hospital-grad pumps in many countries that allow double
pumping, which may be a lot cheaper, depending on your situation.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (13m)

Old August 8th 03, 04:15 AM
JoFromOz

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
But, on the 6 'breast' days, I get a really small amount - like 50
mls in total! - and I'm glad I'm *not* feeding lil baba cos he'd squawk

all
night if he got only that. Why is the amount so small on the 6 'breast'
days?

What you pump has nothing to do with how much your baby could get from you
if he breastfed. Babies are the most efficient breast pumps! So, don't
think that just because you're only getting 50ml in total on your feeding
days that your baby would only get that too....

Jo (RM)

Old August 8th 03, 07:04 PM
Alison

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
welcome to this group, Alison

a lot of other posters often get only 50mls, just under 2ozs, in a session
(I've never got less than 3oz), apparently also pumping output decreases
with time, though I'm not sure why.

Good, that makes me feel better :-)

What time to you pump on the 6 normal days?

First thing, afternoon and 10pm (mid-afternoon seems to be my peak session -
too sleepy first thing)

if you want to increase your supply, try oatmeal, I started eating it for
breakfast last week and its great, I think Nathanael has had less fussy
wanting the breast constantly periods than before, plus I actually love
the oatmeal, it surprised me, I've never been very good at breakfast
before!

Ok I'm onto that. The Fenugreek capsules seem to be good magic too (I
doubled output in 36 hours!!)

Thanks
--Alison

Old August 9th 03, 01:14 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Alison" o.uk wrote:

He's quite happy to switch between breast and
bottle though I know in some circles it's not pc to use a bottle.

Not PC? No, it's because some women on this ng have suffered terrible
problems when their babies have received bottles early.

DP has always done the last feed of the day,
every day, by EBM bottle cos we feel it's important for him to get bonding
time too.

Let me get this straight. For "bonding" reasons (you do know some researchers
don't believe in this bonding stuff for fathers?), you are pumping several
times a day? How long is this taking you? I hope your DP is bonding with you
by washing up the pump and bottle stuff. I just got my DH to bath DS -- much
less work for me, and something that had practical value.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990