peers are weaning (say 4mth babies are starving)

Old September 25th 03, 08:42 PM
Clisby

Default peers are weaning (say 4mth babies are starving)

teapot wrote:

I really dont want to start on solids until 6 months but want to be
prepared so I know what to do if mine seems hungry. I would prefer
not to sleep than to put him on solids at this stage and I have lots
of milk.

Teapot

So nurse him when he's hungry.

Clisby

Old September 25th 03, 09:38 PM
Nikki

teapot wrote:
Hi - I'd like opinions on this please...

2 people I know with babies 3 weeks older than mine (nearly 4 months)
have started to wean them onto solids. They have been exclusively
breastfed but have started to wake up at 4 am screaming and the
mothers have decided that breast milk isnt enough for them.

I really dont want to start on solids until 6 months but want to be
prepared so I know what to do if mine seems hungry.

Just nurse him then :-) Easy as pie!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 25th 03, 09:50 PM
Herself

teapot wrote:

I really dont want to start on solids until 6 months but want to be
prepared so I know what to do if mine seems hungry. I would prefer
not to sleep than to put him on solids at this stage and I have lots
of milk.

You're doing great, really!! Just nurse him. Whenever he wants. P
nursed til he was 1, no solids at all. None. And if you want to see
pics of a baby who isn't starving, look at this:

http://www.zen.org/schmoo/September/dcp01762-r.html

That's at nine months.
--
'Tis Herself
Old September 25th 03, 10:22 PM
Larry McMahan

teapot writes:
: Hi - I'd like opinions on this please...

: 2 people I know with babies 3 weeks older than mine (nearly 4 months)
: have started to wean them onto solids. They have been exclusively
: breastfed but have started to wake up at 4 am screaming and the
: mothers have decided that breast milk isnt enough for them.

: I really dont want to start on solids until 6 months but want to be
: prepared so I know what to do if mine seems hungry. I would prefer
: not to sleep than to put him on solids at this stage and I have lots
: of milk.

: Teapot

Your report makes me wonder how much they schedule feeding, and if they
do not co-sleep. Our daughter did show more hunger at about 4 1/2
months, and our response was more frequent night nursing. WTP? :-)

Larry
Old September 26th 03, 08:12 AM
teapot

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...
teapot writes:
: Hi - I'd like opinions on this please...

: 2 people I know with babies 3 weeks older than mine (nearly 4 months)
: have started to wean them onto solids. They have been exclusively
: breastfed but have started to wake up at 4 am screaming and the
: mothers have decided that breast milk isnt enough for them.

snip

: Teapot

Your report makes me wonder how much they schedule feeding, and if they
do not co-sleep. Our daughter did show more hunger at about 4 1/2
months, and our response was more frequent night nursing. WTP? :-)

I know one of the babies has his own room but I think the other is in
a cot in the same room as his parents. We have a cot beside the bed
(with a side taken off) but he is in the bed with us if he grizzles or
is cold or for a feed. More so at the moment 'cos it is getting
colder. I'm fairly happy to share a bed with him but I don't sleep so
well cos I worry about suffocating him or him overheating - not that I
don't worry about him when he is in his cot, pushchair, carseat,
bouncer..... :-) I have no schedules whatsoever and just offer him a
boob when ever I feel heavy or he changes his mood, depending on which
comes first.

I thought the next growth spurt was at 6 months, but feel a bit more
prepared to cope with one than I did at 6 weeks if it happens to Moo
boy.

cheers all

teapot
Old September 26th 03, 10:23 AM
Rosie

I think this is a real problem in the UK because mums are used to being told
to wean at 4 months (the advice to change to 6 months was only a few months
ago). I waited until my DD was 6 months (she is now nearly 1) and this was
before the change of policy, and my doctor and health visitors said I was
doing the wrong thing and should start at 4 months - so there's a big
mentality that 4 months is the 'right time' and it will take a long time to
get over that.

All my friends weaned at 4 months (16 weeks to be precise) - I STILL haven't
met anyone in the UK who waited any later, and even the new mums who's
babies are coming up to 4 months are weaning them, like you say. But just
be reassured that you are doing the right thing - babies aren't physically
READY at 4 months.

Also, the more MILK the baby has, the more CAKES you get to eat! ; )

ROSIE

om...

Old September 26th 03, 11:21 AM
Jacqui

Rosie wibbled

Also, the more MILK the baby has, the more CAKES you get to eat!

Sig! Sig! :-)

Jac, LOL
Old September 26th 03, 03:19 PM
iphigenia

teapot wrote:
I'm fairly happy to share a bed with him but I don't sleep so
well cos I worry about suffocating him or him overheating -

FYI, a couple quotes from Our Babies, Ourselves:

"The simple evidence that most babies around the world today sleep with a
parents and they are not dying from suffocation should be enough to convince
parents that it's pretty difficult to roll over on a baby and not notice."

"In a healthy atmosphere, where parents are not intoxicated, on drugs, or
obese, the chance of killing an infant by overlaying is zero."

The overheating is fairly easy to control - just make sure he doesn't have
any blankets on him and dress him so that he'll stay warm without them.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 26th 03, 07:16 PM
teapot

"Rosie" wrote in message ...
snip

Also, the more MILK the baby has, the more CAKES you get to eat! ; )

best make that an apple - my cake retention is at an all time high!

teapot