No cry sleep?

Old January 25th 04, 12:37 AM
Alina

Default No cry sleep?

I recently read Liquid's post about baby not wanting to let go off the
brest (I wish Liquid the best of luck with that), and many answers
mentioned the No Cry Sleep technique. What is that? My 2month DD has
a bad habit of waking around 12 pm and just not wanting to go back to
sleep, breast or no breast...

Thank you all.
Alina.
Old January 25th 04, 02:33 AM
Katie

On 24 Jan 2004 15:37:15 -0800, (Alina) asserted:

I recently read Liquid's post about baby not wanting to let go off the
brest (I wish Liquid the best of luck with that), and many answers
mentioned the No Cry Sleep technique. What is that? My 2month DD has
a bad habit of waking around 12 pm and just not wanting to go back to
sleep, breast or no breast...

Thank you all.
Alina.

It's from the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help
Your Baby Sleep Through the Night", by Elizabeth Pantley. Basically,
the book talks about infant and toddler sleep patterns and psychology
and discusses things like sleep associations that could keep a baby
from falling asleep on its own or keep it from sleeping for longer
stretches (she emphasizes that "sleeping through the night",
medically, is defined as sleeping for a 5 hour stretch, NOT what most
parents would like to define it as).

The author wrote the book based on research she did and techniques she
developed while trying to improve her 12-month-old son's sleep habits.
She doesn't agree with cry-it-out methods of getting your child to
sleep and so she developed these as an alternative. A lot of the book
is very common-sense stuff and has very interesting information on
infant sleep psychology. Someone in another thread (I think in
misc.kids.moderated) recently described it as Ferber without the
crying. I haven't read Ferber so I don't know how it compares.

In the book, she has sections for newborns up to 4 months and then for
babies older than that. She discusses night-sleeping versus naptimes
and gives ideas for each and gives ways to develop new sleep
associations for your baby (e.g. ways to help it fall asleep without
being nursed to sleep). She covers quite a lot of different infant
sleep issues and has real-life quotes from people who have used her
methods.

What I really like about her is that she is very open to lots of
different parenting styles or choices (e.g. co-sleeping vs
crib-sleeping, breast-feeding vs bottle-feeding) and gives suggestions
geared toward each. And her techniques really are gentle, as the
title of the book suggests. She emphasizes the importance of, for
example, teaching your baby ways to fall asleep on its own but also
says she realizes how special and important it is to enjoy the times
when your baby falls asleep at your breast and sleeps on your lap -
that you should do that sometimes but also teach the baby to not rely
on that as the only way it knows to fall asleep.

After 3 weeks of using techniques from the book, my 11 week old DS is
now sleeping for at least one solid 2-hour nap during the day, plus
smaller one-hour naps, and is going to bed regularly between 8 and 9
pm, and sleeping for 5-6 hours at a stretch. When he wakes up for his
2-3 am feed, he goes right back to sleep afterwards for another 3-4
hours. I don't know how long this is going to last - maybe just until
the next growth spurt - but it sure is nice in the meantime.

Anyway, that's my long-winded answer. Suffice it to say, I highly
recommend the book

Hope that helps,
Katie
Real email: sphyrapicusathotmaildotcom

Old January 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Alina

Default No cry sleep? -- Thank you

Thank you Katie, it certainly sounds like a book worth reading.

Alina.
Old January 25th 04, 07:05 PM
Melissa

"Alina" wrote ...
I recently read Liquid's post about baby not wanting to let go off the
brest (I wish Liquid the best of luck with that), and many answers
mentioned the No Cry Sleep technique. What is that? My 2month DD has
a bad habit of waking around 12 pm and just not wanting to go back to
sleep, breast or no breast...

We bought and read the book and didn't find that the solutions offered
worked well for us. OTOH, DD was an extremely fussy, colicky baby. Ferber
(if you want to try cry-it-out read his book) worked beautifully for us so
that in two nights she went from waking every 1.5-2 hours to waking only
once and then a few months later we used Ferber again to get her to sleep
through the night for real (i.e. from 6:15 p.m. - ~ 6 a.m.). Napping is
still not so good, but no one's solutions seem to be working there for us.

Good luck. I hope No Cry works for you because it's a lot less painful than
Ferber...but you have to do what works for you.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old January 25th 04, 10:24 PM
Andrea

Default No cry sleep? (for Katie)

Hi Katie,

Sorry to piggyback!

I saw you mentioning the no cry no sleep book. Does it have advice for 2
year olds? My son had been sleeping all night for months, but now won't
sleep in his own bed. I have had him checked out - no ilness or ear
infections, and am at my wits end! We have been sitting with him till he
falls asleep, but he wakes frequently screaming, or he refuses to sleep at
all and is happy if you are sat with him.

I'm thinking maybe night terrors?

We didn't have a problem once our others were sleeping through the night, so
this is a new situation. Kam is 7 months and sleeps through, Joey is wearing
us all out!

-
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

A black crow stole my soul, and now I want it back. (For those with PPD).

Old January 26th 04, 07:23 AM
Katie

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:24:18 -0000, "Andrea"
asserted:

[...]

Hi Andrea,

The book covers babies up to two years so it should potentially be
helpful for you. I'll have a look right now (goes and gets
book)....There's a small section on night terrors, nightmares, and
sleepwalking/talking in older babies (all covered in the same
section). Here's what it says: "Older babies may have their sleep
interrupted by a variety of common sleep disturbances. Your baby may
occasionally wake up crying or talking in her sleep, or she may move
around, sit up, or even crawl or walk in her sleep. The majority of
these instances are infrequent or short-lived. The best option for
parents in these situations is to calm your baby as best you can and
help her to go back to sleep. If any sleep disturbance persists, talk
to your doctor about your concerns." Hmm. I guess that doesn't
really help you! That's all it says about night terrors and older
babies. There's a big chunk of the book devoted to babies 4 months up
to two years but there's nothing mentioned specifically about babies
who've been sleeping quite well and then suddenly start waking or
having trouble going to sleep on their own. It's mostly stuff to get
your baby to start sleeping well.

Sorry, that probably wasn't overly helpful

Old January 26th 04, 07:57 PM
Sara

Dawn Lawson wrote, in part:

Andrea wrote:

I saw you mentioning the no cry no sleep book.

Don't get that one. It sucks. The house is quiet, but everyone has
bags under their eyes.

That's the one that advocates getting up to play in the middle of the
night, right? And encourages cosleeping in hammocks?

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old January 26th 04, 08:44 PM
Andrea

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Andrea wrote:

Hi Katie,

Sorry to piggyback!

I saw you mentioning the no cry no sleep book.

Don't get that one. It sucks. The house is quiet, but everyone has
bags under their eyes.

Try The No Cry Sleep Solution, by Elizabeth Pantley. HEr book covers
birth to two years, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on an
older kid too.

Dawn

Thanks Dawn.