6 Week Old Eating Machines--Help!

Old March 16th 04, 02:59 AM
Meg

Default 6 Week Old Eating Machines--Help!

Hi!

My twins are 6 weeks old and constantly eating in the afternoon and
evening. Tonight I'm extra frustrated due to a fresh case of Mastitis
. Thank God for my MIL being here...she has helped a lot with the
twins and my 2YO.

I'm trying to breastfeed on demand during the day and give them a 5 oz
bottle of breastmilk + formula (I split up whatever I pump, then add
formula to reach the total amount) during their night feedings.

Today though, they just ate and ate and ate! I nursed them for about
an hour together, and they did not seem satisfied, so we gave them a
bottle. It seems that they are finishing a bottle, then falling
asleep and waking soon after "starving" again. I don't know what's
going on...

With my older daughter, she refused the bottle, so I'm new to knowing
how much to give them and when to start upping their intake.

Any advice? (BTW--I read the thread about the 3 month old twins and
their Mom feeling like she is just feeding, changing and burping them
all day. The advice there about taking one minute at a time and also
that it will get better has reminded me about my past experience with
my singleton...things always do get better!)

Thanks for listening!!

Megan
Mommy to Julia, 10/31/01
David and Elizabeth, 02/03/04
Old March 16th 04, 03:17 AM
Peggy

Hi!

From what you're describing, I think you might want to make sure that they
are latching on properly, not just sucking without actually drawing any milk
out. Pumping will give you a good idea of what they are actually consuming,
because if they are drinking that much then you should be able to pump out
the same quantity, without having to substitute any formula. Check when
they are nursing to see if they are actually swallowing frequently, not just
sucking to soothe themselves. If you pull them away from the breast
abruptly, is there milk in their mouths? (sorry to get graphic).

Some people may give me grief for this, but have you tried giving them
pacifiers? Maybe they just need more frequent sucking, and are not
necessarily hungry.

I hope this has been helpful.

Peggy
Mom to Kyra & Jaden 05/29/2002

--
http://www.babygardengifts.com
om...

Old March 16th 04, 06:46 AM
Jen in South Florida

Meg wrote:
Hi!

My twins are 6 weeks old and constantly eating in the afternoon and
evening.

Six week growth spurt!

I'm trying to breastfeed on demand during the day and give them a 5 oz
bottle of breastmilk + formula (I split up whatever I pump, then add
formula to reach the total amount) during their night feedings.

We were still using a lot of formula and a SNS during the day at 6 weeks
because I had SERIOUS nursing/milk supply issues, but we have always
done bottles at night too. At 6 weeks, a five ounce bottle is probably
too much, IMHO, to give at one time. Also, some people say not to mix
EMM and formula. They feel it decreases the iron available for
absorption. I say, you do what you gotta do. However, every bit of
formula you give them is that much more milk you are telling your body
not to make. As hard as it is, can you add any more pumping sessions?
Could you pump the other side if you ever feed only one baby at a time?

Today though, they just ate and ate and ate! I nursed them for about
an hour together, and they did not seem satisfied, so we gave them a
bottle. It seems that they are finishing a bottle, then falling
asleep and waking soon after "starving" again. I don't know what's
going on...

Yep, six week growth spurt! They are telling your body, "make more milk
now". Give it a few days and don't add more formula supplements.

Jen
& almost 4 month old twin boys, fully breastfed since 7 weeks after
having NO milk until 3 weeks postpartum

Old March 16th 04, 06:50 AM
Jen in South Florida

Peggy wrote:

Pumping will give you a good idea of what they are actually consuming,
because if they are drinking that much then you should be able to pump out
the same quantity, without having to substitute any formula.

But some women really have a difficult time pumping the same amount the
baby would get while nursing. Most babies are much more efficient than
a pump. Mine weren't, so there are exceptions.

A better way to see what they are actually consuming would be to rent a
baby scale and weigh them before and after nursing. If the OP is really
concerned the babies aren't getting enough (not enough wet diapers, etc)
she should see a lactation consultant for help with the scale thing.

Old March 16th 04, 04:09 PM
Ellie

Sounds like the 6 week growth spurt to me! Nurse, nurse and more nursing
..... ))

Ellie

5 month old twins - still breastfeeding - yippee!

Old March 18th 04, 07:57 AM
Chotii

"Jen in South Florida" wrote in message
ink.net...
Meg wrote:
Hi!

My twins are 6 weeks old and constantly eating in the afternoon and
evening.

Six week growth spurt!

Absolutely. Classic six week growth spurt.

[...]

Exactly. Now, as Jen says, "ya gotta do what ya gotta do". However, and I
realise this is a bad time to have to try to make big decisions, you need to
think about this:

If you wish/need to give formula rather than nursing at a time when your
babies are demanding that your body "make more milk, I'm growing", and your
body doesn't get the message....you may wind up needing to give more and
more formula, and eventually find you "don't have enough milk".

If you look at this behavior as abnormal and somehow an indication of
something being wrong....you might wind up feeding a lot more formula than
you ever intended to, or wanted to....and wonder why.

If however you don't want to go that direction, *and* you can grit your
teeth and get through the next few days or week without resorting to formula
to make up the difference....if you can see their behavior as *normal* and
*appropriate* even if it's driving you up a wall.....then you may be able to
continue with a much higher percentage of breastmilk to formula, or even
exclusive breastfeeding.

As long as you understand their behavior and choose how you want to respond
to it, you won't wind up bewildered or disappointed or whatever down the
road, or telling people "I just didn't have enough milk" when you might have
if you'd responded differently - or maybe even convincing some other twin
mom that she couldn't possibly nurse twins, based solely on your experience.

Understand what's going on, and then decide what you want to do about it.
If you want to breastfeed, then avoid formula as much as possible during
growth spurts. Goodness knows it's tough even with a singleton! But it *can*
be done with twins too. Or even triplets. I don't know about quads.

--angela