Help! Sick and on antibiotics

Old February 14th 06, 01:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Help! Sick and on antibiotics

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a little while.I haven't been able to
keep up lately. Both kids have pink eye, the oldest an ear infection as
well. DH seems to have the flu. I went to the doc yesterday. I have
laryngitis and an ear infection. The ear infection is pretty bad...lots
of ringing, some discharge (ick). Luckily it isn't too painful (the doc
was very surprised by this...apparently it looks horrible).
Unfortunately, because DS#2 is still nursing there were a whole slew of
things she wouldn't prescribe. At first she wanted to give me a steroid
spray/inhaler but I told her I was still BFing. I'm also allergic to
penicillan, so that reduced her options for antibiotics. She prescribed
erythromycin, which has a tendency to make me sick to my stomach.

So, anyone know of any options? I'm looking for another (non-penicillan
der.)antibiotic that is comaptible with BFing and is used to treat ear
infections...just in case I find that I can't tolerate the e-mycin.
Also, I'm wondering if just eating lots of yogurt will keep DS#2 and I
from getting thrush (and vag. yeast infection for me).

Gotta run...time to give everyone theri medicine. Yay...not.

Thanks in advance.

annette
DS#1 7-19-01 devil child
DS#2 8-20-04 hoover

Old February 14th 06, 04:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"al" wrote in message
I have
laryngitis and an ear infection. The ear infection is pretty bad...lots
of ringing, some discharge (ick). Luckily it isn't too painful (the doc
was very surprised by this...apparently it looks horrible).
Unfortunately, because DS#2 is still nursing there were a whole slew of
things she wouldn't prescribe. At first she wanted to give me a steroid
spray/inhaler but I told her I was still BFing. I'm also allergic to
penicillan, so that reduced her options for antibiotics. She prescribed
erythromycin, which has a tendency to make me sick to my stomach.

So, anyone know of any options?

You have to remember that most antibiotics can be given to an infant,
when/if the child is sick and needs them barring any allergic reactions. I
would have to say then that most antibiotics can be given to you. Also, you
are not nursing a newborn, so definitely there are more options. With your
allergies though, I wouldn't even begin to know what you can tolerate. Is
Zithromax in the penicillian family, if not that has worked great for upper
respiratory/sinus infections. I just don't know if it is indicated with ear
infections.

Also, I'm wondering if just eating lots of yogurt will keep DS#2 and I
from getting thrush (and vag. yeast infection for me).

It certainly wouldn't hurt.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 14th 06, 04:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm also allergic to
penicillan, so that reduced her options for antibiotics. She prescribed
erythromycin, which has a tendency to make me sick to my stomach.

Eat before you take it or take it last thing at night so if you're getting a
bit shaky, you're already at home and asleep. Yogurt/ice cream would be
off the good, too. Erythromycin is some good stuff, especially if you can't
tolerate penicillin.

And I know this sounds counterintuititve, but it could just be the
erythromycin kicking ass and skipping the roll call. It could also be the
ear infection, too-I always feel like crap the first day or three my ear
infections clear up. Keep it up for another couple of days and see what
happens.

So, anyone know of any options? I'm looking for another (non-penicillan
der.)antibiotic that is comaptible with BFing and is used to treat ear
infections...just in case I find that I can't tolerate the e-mycin.
Also, I'm wondering if just eating lots of yogurt will keep DS#2 and I
from getting thrush (and vag. yeast infection for me).

Yogurt and ice cream, and if that doesn't work-diflucan is good stuff.

Gotta run...time to give everyone theri medicine. Yay...not.

*Hugs* Thinking about you.

Jess

Old February 14th 06, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

al wrote:
[...]

Yogurt can help - so can taking acidophilus.

Clisby

Old February 14th 06, 06:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sorry to hear you are feeling bad, annette. Hope whatever you take
gets you better soon.

Leslie

Old February 15th 06, 12:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jess wrote:
"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm also allergic to
penicillan, so that reduced her options for antibiotics. She prescribed
erythromycin, which has a tendency to make me sick to my stomach.

Eat before you take it or take it last thing at night so if you're getting a
bit shaky, you're already at home and asleep. Yogurt/ice cream would be
off the good, too. Erythromycin is some good stuff, especially if you can't
tolerate penicillin.

I'm trying to take it with food...but you know how it can be trying to
eat when you have little ones. I'm hoping the e-mycin does the trick
because I really don't want to have to try to find something else.

And I know this sounds counterintuititve, but it could just be the
erythromycin kicking ass and skipping the roll call. It could also be the
ear infection, too-I always feel like crap the first day or three my ear
infections clear up. Keep it up for another couple of days and see what
happens.

I am doing pretty well with it so far. I did feel a bit quesy during
the day and just generally like I'd been drug behind a horse, but it
was a bit of a crazy day. It was cold here and I spent 3 1/2 hours
outside talking to a lumber yard sales rep and a sider about the house
we are building.

So, anyone know of any options? I'm looking for another (non-penicillan
der.)antibiotic that is comaptible with BFing and is used to treat ear
infections...just in case I find that I can't tolerate the e-mycin.
Also, I'm wondering if just eating lots of yogurt will keep DS#2 and I
from getting thrush (and vag. yeast infection for me).

Yogurt and ice cream, and if that doesn't work-diflucan is good stuff.

Gotta run...time to give everyone theri medicine. Yay...not.

*Hugs* Thinking about you.

Thanks.

annette

Old February 15th 06, 12:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

al wrote:
[...]

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied.

annette

Old February 15th 06, 01:33 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

al wrote:

So, anyone know of any options? I'm looking for another (non-penicillan
der.)antibiotic that is comaptible with BFing and is used to treat ear
infections...just in case I find that I can't tolerate the e-mycin.

Cephalexin is an option, but although it's not a penicillin it has been
known to cause allergies in people who are penicillin-allergic, due to
a degree of cross-reactivity. (The quoted figure is 10% chance of a
cephalexin allergy if you're penicillin-allergic, but my personal
experience is that it's much more unusual than that. Whether I
prescribe it to penicillin-allergic people depends on how severe their
allergy is - if they just get a rash then I'd risk it, if they have a
history of anaphylactic shock then I wouldn't.)

However, the one I'd recommend is trimethoprim. Now, if you suggest
this to your doctor he or she is probably going to look at you as
though you sprouted an extra head, because this is normally used for
people with urinary tract infections. However, it does also give good
coverage of the kind of bacteria likely to cause ear/throat infections.
(I've worked in one hospital where trimethoprim, rather than
erythromycin, was what was recommended by the microbiologists as the
alternative to penicillin in penicillin-allergic patients.) It can be
used in infants and therefore the traces in your milk would be quite
safe.

One other option, of course, is just to tough it out. A high
proportion of ear and throat infections are due to viruses, and
research shows that antibiotics often don't make a lot of difference to
speed of recovery. Whether or not this is the case with a particularly
nasty one, as you say yours is, is hard to say.

HTH & hope you feel better soon.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com
But how do we _know_ that no-one ever said on their deathbed that they

Old February 15th 06, 03:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"darklily" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to take it with food...but you know how it can be trying to
eat when you have little ones. I'm hoping the e-mycin does the trick
because I really don't want to have to try to find something else.

Especially little ones. I do get it. I do know the erythromycin is decent
stuff. I've had to take it before, and it was a cosmic mind **** through a
wormhole into an alternate dimension of the Twilight Zone for a few days,
but then a double barreled ear infection with a sinus infection'll and a
doctor out of patience will do that to you.

I am doing pretty well with it so far. I did feel a bit quesy during
the day and just generally like I'd been drug behind a horse, but it
was a bit of a crazy day. It was cold here and I spent 3 1/2 hours
outside talking to a lumber yard sales rep and a sider about the house
we are building.

Well, you've been drug hard and ridden through the mud, so to speak. You're
going to be drained. Just remember to get some sleep, too. I know it's
insane, but hey.

Thanks.

NP.

Jess

Old February 15th 06, 05:32 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jess wrote:
"al" wrote in message
I'm trying to take it with food...but you know how it can be trying to
eat when you have little ones. I'm hoping the e-mycin does the trick
because I really don't want to have to try to find something else.

Especially little ones. I do get it. I do know the erythromycin is decent
stuff. I've had to take it before, and it was a cosmic mind **** through a
wormhole into an alternate dimension of the Twilight Zone for a few days,
but then a double barreled ear infection with a sinus infection'll and a
doctor out of patience will do that to you.

ROFLMAO...thanks for that description. I've been trying to figure out
how to put that feeling into words. I just want to crawl into bed, or
under a rock...anywhere I will be left alone and I don't have to move.

annette