Xander's birth

Old October 6th 03, 03:10 PM
Kari

Default Xander's birth

Im not sure if this will be TOO long, nothing like Em's im sure! (great
story btw but I'll do my best!

I woke up at 12:00am on the 1st to my water breaking. What a weird feeling.
It never ruptured spontaneously with my other kids and it felt so strange. I
knew right away what it was and woke Justin up in slight panic/excitement
mode. We called my parents and the babysitter. The midwife wanted me to come
in right away since it was my 3rd baby, she thought things would pick up
fast so we left around 12:40 after I had showered and eaten something.

We got checked in they monitored me for 30 minutes with no signs of anything
going on. So I got up and we played cards and did crossword puzzles until
5:00 at which time my parents arrived. Since nothing was happening we sent
them to our house to relieve the babysitter and said we'd call when things
picked up.

I started running a fever a little after that so I had to lay in bed and be
monitored which I wasn't too happy with but understandable. I did get up and
walk around to see if that helped every 30 minutes but it didnt. By 10:00
that morning when nothing had happened, I was still 2 cm like I had been the
week before and my temp was still up they decided to run a pitocin drip to
get things moving. The midwife also came in and checked me and she said I
had 2 seperate sacs, one had broken and one was still around the baby. I've
never heard of that before but she ruptured the other one and stretched my
cervix to 3-4cm to get things going.

About 15 minutes after starting the pitocin at 10:10 I could notice
contractions. By 1:00 I was in a LOT of pain, nothing like the contractions
I remember before with the other two kids. They weren't up in my belly but
down in my cervix and lower and felt like sharp stabbing pains and
tremendous pressure. I couldn't even breathe through them and I was doing
really well up until that point. When she checked me and I was still at
3-4cm I lost all determination because I had been working so hard for those
past 3 hours with no progress. She wanted to double the pitocin and I dont
think I could have handled much more. So I did have the epidural and it was
perfect because I could still feel my pain and pressure, I could still walk,
but it was more manageable.

I wasn't prepared to feel the pressure of his head coming down or the pain
but I started shaking uncontrollably and called the nurse that I thought it
was time to push. I assumed having pain relief I wouldn't feel anything but
I most certainly could. I was 9 1/2 cm at that point so we waited a few more
and I was doing all I could to hold back. As soon as I started pushing his
head turned and that was the problem. He had been sideways with his arm to
his face and it was keeping things slowed down. Once I started pushing
though, he came down with the first contraction. On the second one, I
delivered the head and wow, that was the neatest thing. My mom was on one
side, my dh on the other and I was holding my knees. I did have a harder
time with his shoulders and it did hurt quite a bit but I did get him out in
3 contractions. Everyone had thought we were having a girl and as soon as
she layed him on my chest my mom said "its a boy!" I couldn't believe it.

I did have some bleeding issues afterwards. I lost a lot more than I had in
previous births and wasn't prepared for the amout that can actually come out
of there. It freaked me out so I was on pitocin for another 7 hours after
the delivery to help things along that way. I did have a small tear but It
was just superficial and only needed 3 stitches. I did not have a local for
those, I think that was worse than the delivery!! I though I could handle 3
stitches if I could birth a big baby but ow, it stung pretty bad. It was my
choice though, I just wanted it over so I could get up and go to the
bathroom, I had to pee SO bad it was incredible.

I left the hospital after 24 hours and everything went great. I loved every
minute,my midwife was better than I had imagined. I can't think of anything
negative at all besides how the birth went and it wasn't terrible by any
means. It was not the birth I had prepared for but in the end it worked out
for me.

Im just thrilled with Xander. I love having the 3 kids and I can't wait for
4, and Im even talking about 5 now too. I love my boys I like being able
to say that and Kaylie is such a mother hen. I think because of her age, she
feels more grown up now that I let her hold him and rock him she feels
special and there is NO jealousy on her part though a little on Noah's but
nothing too bad.

I'll probably stick around because I love being part of this great group of
people, I've learned so much from being on here and all the advice and
support I've gotten. Thank you!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and baby Xander - 5 days
See us and the new baby @
http://photos.yahoo.com/firedancer623

Old October 6th 03, 03:44 PM
Kari

"Sophie" wrote in message

Im just thrilled with Xander. I love having the 3 kids and I can't wait

for
4, and Im even talking about 5 now too. I love my boys
Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and baby Xander - 5 days
See us and the new baby @
http://photos.yahoo.com/firedancer623

Lol! Congrats!

I know, you knew that was coming huh.

Thanks.

Kari

Old October 6th 03, 04:40 PM
zeldabee

"Kari" wrote:
[...]
I'll probably stick around because I love being part of this great group
of people, I've learned so much from being on here and all the advice and
support I've gotten. Thank you!

Congrats!

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 6th 03, 06:57 PM
Coccinella

Kari,
glad to hear that everything went well. Your pictures are so wonderful.
Congratulations again to all of you .

Love

Nicky

Old October 6th 03, 07:35 PM
Fer

What a cutie pie! I love the pics :-) Thanks for sharing the story!
--
~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-TTC#3

Old October 6th 03, 08:34 PM
Sandi

"Kari" wrote in message
Im just thrilled with Xander. I love having the 3 kids and I can't wait

for
4, and Im even talking about 5 now too. I love my boys I like being

able
to say that and Kaylie is such a mother hen. I think because of her age,

she
feels more grown up now that I let her hold him and rock him she feels
special and there is NO jealousy on her part though a little on Noah's but
nothing too bad.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and baby Xander - 5 days
See us and the new baby @
http://photos.yahoo.com/firedancer623

What a wonderful story and I'm glad to hear great stories about having 3
kids! It makes me feel a little more confident about what we've gotten
ourselves into!

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3

Old October 6th 03, 08:53 PM
SMK

Kari wrote:

Im not sure if this will be TOO long, nothing like Em's im sure! (great
story btw but I'll do my best!

I'll probably stick around because I love being part of this great group of
people, I've learned so much from being on here and all the advice and
support I've gotten. Thank you!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and baby Xander - 5 days
See us and the new baby @
http://photos.yahoo.com/firedancer623

You did great! Congratulations! and Welcome baby Xander!

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)