Delurking, intro, and questions (long)

Old July 26th 03, 12:12 PM
Clisby Williams

Default Delurking, intro, and questions (long)

Karlee in Kansas wrote:

Here are the questions, order of them has no relevance to importance...

1) What kind of pump do you recommend and where can I find one (our Wal-Mart has nothing for pumps and the closest baby
store is an hour away....I'm thinking I can find one on the internet)? I had a manual pump with DS, but it was about as
useful as teats on a bull. It only worked about twice, and it was a gift at a baby shower. I threw away the parts, but
kept the bag that it was in (the only useful part IMO). Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it, but I do
vaguely remember that the person that bought it for me is quite tight with her money, so she probably didn't spend a
whole lot on it. On this pump, I'm wanting to spend less than $100.

Like Larry said, the best pumps are the double-electric kind, but
they're a lot more than $100. I found the
Avent Isis (manual) to be pretty good - and definitely better than the
Medela Mini-Electric, which I thought was
worthless (and twice the price.) Once your baby is born, you might try
getting the hang of hand-expressing.
That's free, and might be enough since it doesn't sound like you're
trying to build up a supply of frozen milk for going back
to work. One note: If you're interested in an Isis, check your
grocery store. My Kroger store
(Atlanta) carries it, along with other Avent products/

2) I have heard tons of good things about Avent bottles with the drop in liners and would like to use them. I used the
regular cheap, Playtex bottles with my son (I got only about a million of them at the baby shower) and we had gas and a
spitter-upper for a baby. Rumor has it that for bottles, Avent is more like momma than anything else, and also reduce
the "spit up factor" greatly. Opinions on the Avent bottles?

I just used the cheap plastic bottles with a Gerber Nuk nipple - both my
babies took to that fine.

3) At what age is it safe to introduce a bottle of EBM while avoiding nipple confusion? (We had severe nipple confusion
after DS was born because the hospital kept giving him bottles so I could rest, despite me telling them repeatedly that
I wanted to bf no matter what)

You'll get different opinions. I started my son on bottles at 2 weeks,
and never had nipple confusion.
However, it was a gamble. It's generally considered safer if you wait
until 4-6 weeks. And keep it up. I
don't mean a lot of bottles - but if you introduce a bottle at 6 weeks
and then don't try another bottle until
4 months, you might find the baby won't go along with your plan.

Does the hospital where you'll deliver have rooming-in? It's a lot
easier to control what happens
if you're with the baby all the time.

I think that this time around, I think I'm going to have better luck with bfing. I have done tons of research and have
set up the nursery accordingly. I have a rocker (same one that I had with DS), a way to play the tons of relaxing music
for both momma and baby, and a lamp beside the rocker with a 25 watt bulb in it for soft light so she won't be blinded
every time she eats. I have cross stitched two signs for the door, and prepared a message for the answering machine, so
that I don't have to worry about being interrupted by the door or phone while she is eating. I have informed family,
friends, and hospital staff (them repeatedly, and in writing) that I will be bfing, and they probably won't be able to
feed her for me for the first few months and that during that time, bottles are a no no. I'm also more relaxed and
really excited about bf this time around (last time I was a nervous wreck, and it didn't help much that my partner
thought it was disgusting).

Good luck! I gave up on nursing my first after 2 weeks, but am now
nursing my 2nd (almost 18 months old.)
Knowing what you're up against makes a big difference.

Clisby

Old July 26th 03, 02:30 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Greetings all! I found your ng after I read about it on another ng. I have been wading through the past 2000 or so
posts over the past few days and have found a wealth of information. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I am 27, married, have a 6.5 yo DS, and a kidlet on the way (EDD: September 22). I was 20 when my DS was born, didn't
have a clue about bfing, but tried anyway. We had lots of problems that I contribute to my age, hospital staff, and
medications. I was young and trying to adjust to what "boobs were really for" and felt rather uncomfortable bfing (my
husband at the time hated the idea, told me it was repulsive and unnatural....I have long ago divorced him....new
husband is encouraging me and wants to help in every way possible, but the story of my ex, and the differences between
him and new husband are long, and way off topic), even though I knew bfing was best for my son. I had made up my mind
when I was pg with him that I was going to bf him as long as I could. Hospital staff popped a bottle in his mouth it
seems, as soon as he was born, much to my objections, and didn't give me a reason for doing so. I was also told by the
LC there, that I needed to get him "on a schedule right away" and "don't feed on demand". We had a noisy house to say
the least. He was NOT a Happy Camper about the 2.5 hour feedings...when he was hungry, he was HUNGRY, but I didn't know
any better then. Medical reasons that I was unable to breast feed him for more than 6 weeks had to do (according to my
doc that is, I very well may be wrong on this) with the fact that after major complications following my c-section (see:
nearly died) the medicines that they put me on temporarily did a real good job of gradually drying up my milk. I had
not been told by anyone that I could start lactating again just by letting him suckle. I tried calling my LC at the
hospital, but she never had time to call me back. I tried getting in touch with the closest chapter of LLL, but they
said I was too far away to help. I was not bf as a baby (I was adopted) so my mother was little to no help. I cried
for days when I had to switch to formula. I knew that bm was best for my son, and was heart broken because I thought
that my chances of bfing him were over. Aside from having the chicken pox, a severe genetic allergy to grapes, and a
little bit of hay fever (very mild compared to mine), he is a very healthy active 6yo.

I have less than 2 months until my due date with kidlet the second, and I have decided that I'm going to bf this one as
long as humanly possible, or die trying. In reading all the posts...I'm getting more and more excited about the arrival
of my daughter, and also more and more excited about bfing her. I encountered a ton of resistance to the "no formula
period" idea that I have, with not only the hospital but also wic (we qualify for wic being that we are a military
family). The hospital here apparently is not very good at encouraging bfing, their solution is to pop a bottle of
formula in the squalling kids mouth instead of working with the mothers to try to bf. WIC said "we don't recommend it",
and I think that it has something to do with the fact that I refused whole milk. (I can't have whole milk because I'm
hypoglycemic and whole milk wrecks havoc with my blood sugar. We drink skim) They told me that "whole milk has more
calcium and more fat, and you need both of those when you are bfing" After talking to my nutritionist (so far the only
one at that hospital that is encouraging me to bf aside from my doctor), she said they had half of it right. WM has
more fat, but not more calcium. She also told me that my body would make sure that the baby got what she needed and I
didn't need to concern myself with the fat content of the milk, because of the diet that I'm on. Needless to say, I
didn't get on with wic. I left their vouchers for whole milk and formula behind. I told them that I would be back only
if I was not able to bf like I want to and am forced to ff.

My questions are more about breast pumps and pumping. I want to get one so that other people can feed kidlet the second
if they wish (DH, baby's big brother, my parents, that kind of thing). My parents live close to us (for the next year
and a half anyway lol) and like to take kidlet the first so that DH and I can have a weekend here and there to ourselves
(we have only been married for a few days over 8 months....I'm 7 months pg....you do the math big grin), and my mother
has expressed a desire to take kidlet the second for an evening here and there for the same reason that she takes kidlet
the first.

[...]

4) What kind of bra inserts do you recommend to prevent leakage through the shirt? With DS, I had a fierce flow of
milk, and it came when it felt like it....like when I heard a baby cry, saw a baby, held my son while trying to get him
on the schedule that had been preached to me....once it let go like the Hoover Dam broke when I was laughing at a
commercial on tv. The first few weeks I had to change clothes more because of milk release than blow out diapers and
spit ups combined. The toilet paper that my mom suggested did NOT work.

[...]

Thanks for your answers to my questions...I mostly lurk on ng's these days (nesting phase has hit hard), but after the
arrival of kidlet the second, I'll keep you posted as to how the bfing is going.

Thanks!!!
Karlee in Kansas

Old July 26th 03, 10:54 PM
Larry McMahan

Hi Karlee,

You have quite a story. I have to say that given your past experiences, and
given the fact that you are in care at a military hospital, you have an
uphill battle in the attempt establish breastfeeding. I will try to be
helpful. See comments below.

BTW: in future posts you should make your lines about half as long. my
newsreader has a real hard time formatting your message so I can read it.

Karlee in Kansas writes:

[...]

What are the arrangements for the birth. Are you planning to do
a repeat elective c-section. Are your birthing in a military
hospital. My first comments are that your would be much better
of if you could do a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarian), but
if you are in a backward military hospital, the doctors and
the staff will probably will object. You should at least ask
for a trial by labor. You may want to post more on this group
about why you had to have a cesarian in the first place. Mothers
are much more liiely to be successful breastfeeding if they
birth vaginally than if they birth via c-section.

: My questions are more about breast pumps and pumping. I want
: to get one so that other people can feed kidlet the second
: if they wish (DH, baby's big brother, my parents, that kind of
: thing). My parents live close to us (for the next year
: and a half anyway lol) and like to take kidlet the first so
: that DH and I can have a weekend here and there to ourselves
: (we have only been married for a few days over 8 months....
: I'm 7 months pg....you do the math big grin), and my mother
: has expressed a desire to take kidlet the second for an evening
: here and there for the same reason that she takes kidlet
: the first.

I have some fairly strong opinions on some of what you say here.
In the first place, having them feed the kid is the wrong approach
to helping you when you have a new baby, they should be doing the
errands, cooking and house cleaning, and let you lounge around and
nurse the baby until you are both ready to do other things. :-)

If they want to help with the baby, they can change diapers, and
play with the baby when he/she is full but awake. This will do
more good for both you and the baby!

: Here are the questions, order of them has no relevance to importance...

: 1) What kind of pump do you recommend and where can I find one
: (our Wal-Mart has nothing for pumps and the closest baby
: store is an hour away....I'm thinking I can find one on the internet)?
: I had a manual pump with DS, but it was about as useful as teats
: on a bull. It only worked about twice, and it was a gift at a baby
: shower. I threw away the parts, but : kept the bag that it was in
: (the only useful part IMO). Unfortunately, I can't remember the
: name of it, but I do
: vaguely remember that the person that bought it for me is quite
: tight with her money, so she probably didn't spend a
: whole lot on it. On this pump, I'm wanting to spend less than $100.

Well I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that
there are only a small number of good pumps under $100. The good news
is that if you plan to nurse exclusively and you won't really need to
pump much.

First let me say that pumps made by formula companies are generally
crap and should be avoided like the plague. Second, if you really
want to be safe, use only pumps recommended on this newsgroup.

That said, here are the ones commonly recommended...

Avent Isis: This is a manual pump costing about $35-$40. Many people
swear by it, but you do have to learn to do the manual pumping thing.

Medela Mini Electric: This is a single electric which is battery
operated. You can buy an AC adapter. $70 - $80. It's disadvantages
are that it is noisy and it eats batteries. However it is the only
good inexpensive electric pump

Beyond that, you have placed the other two I would recommend outside
of your range.

Ameda Purely Yours: about $200. This is a very good double electric.
(You can pump both sides at once). It is probably about the best
choice for someone who wants to work and nurse, and is still on a
budget.

Medela Pump_In-Style about $250. This is one of the best double
electrics made for home use, although some say the Purely Yours is
just a good. Again this is for the working nurser.

Avoid all other brands.

: 2) I have heard tons of good things about Avent bottles with the
: drop in liners : and would like to use them. I used the
: regular cheap, Playtex bottles with my son (I got only about a
: million of them at the baby shower) and we had gas and a
: spitter-upper for a baby. Rumor has it that for bottles, Avent
: is more like momma than anything else, and also reduce
: the "spit up factor" greatly. Opinions on the Avent bottles?

I don't know nuthin about bottles. Others can comment.

: 3) At what age is it safe to introduce a bottle of EBM while
: avoiding nipple confusion? (We had severe nipple confusion
: after DS was born because the hospital kept giving him bottles
: so I could rest, despite me telling them repeatedly that
: I wanted to bf no matter what)

You should not introduce a bottle before 6 weeks, and not later
than 8 weeks if you want the baby to accept it. You should
limit it to one a day max, but at least 3 times a week minimum.
Otherwise, you could just forget the whole bottle thing.

: 4) What kind of bra inserts do you recommend to prevent leakage
: through the shirt? With DS, I had a fierce flow of
: milk, and it came when it felt like it....like when I heard a
: baby cry, saw a baby, held my son while trying to get him
: on the schedule that had been preached to me....once it let go
: like the Hoover Dam broke when I was laughing at a
: commercial on tv. The first few weeks I had to change clothes
: more because of milk release than blow out diapers and
: spit ups combined. The toilet paper that my mom suggested did NOT work.

Nursing pads. However even some mother find they soak through the pads.
Honestly, you should probably not be wearing a bra that often (or going
out where you need to put one on the first 8 to 12 weeks.

[...]

I think you definately need to talk to some supportive breastfeeding
moms WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE. You should probably find and talk
to an IBCLC certified Lactation Consultant who is not connected
with the hospital. You should try to attend some LLL meetings
BEFORE the baby is born (as well as after).

: Thanks for your answers to my questions...I mostly lurk on ng's
: these days (nesting phase has hit hard), but after the
: arrival of kidlet the second, I'll keep you posted as to how the
: bfing is going.

: Thanks!!!
: Karlee in Kansas

Good luck,
Larry
Old July 26th 03, 11:10 PM
Melissa

"Larry McMahan" wrote the response below...
: 4) What kind of bra inserts do you recommend to prevent leakage
: through the shirt? With DS, I had a fierce flow of
: milk, and it came when it felt like it....like when I heard a
: baby cry, saw a baby, held my son while trying to get him
: on the schedule that had been preached to me....once it let go
: like the Hoover Dam broke when I was laughing at a
: commercial on tv. The first few weeks I had to change clothes
: more because of milk release than blow out diapers and
: spit ups combined. The toilet paper that my mom suggested did NOT work.

Nursing pads. However even some mother find they soak through the pads.
Honestly, you should probably not be wearing a bra that often (or going
out where you need to put one on the first 8 to 12 weeks.

However, if you're well endowed, you can't possibly go without a nursing bra
for very long without being in massive pain. Buy a few good bras (Bravado is
comfortable for the first bit if you're larger and then the Medela bras are
wonderful if you're larger, otherwise, there are lots from which to choose).
I used to be a 34DD and am now a 38DD so I never go braless.

Regarding not going out for 8-12 weeks, I'd argue with that too. Although
some mothers don't take their children out of the house for that long, we
chose to do so and haven't had any problems. DD came out for dinner with us
when she was six days old and has been going on errands and to restaurants
with us every since. She hasn't had any colds and I'm very careful to keep
people from touching her. Maybe we've just been lucky. However, I believe
that my sanity has been much better because we have continued to go out and
I've continued to do errands. If I had been trapped alone in the house with
my very lovely, but extremely fussy dd for 12 weeks, neither of us would be
as happy as we are now. YMMV

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old July 27th 03, 06:56 AM
Karlee in Kansas

"Larry McMahan wrote
| Hi Karlee,
|
| You have quite a story. I have to say that given your past experiences, and
| given the fact that you are in care at a military hospital, you have an
| uphill battle in the attempt establish breastfeeding. I will try to be
| helpful. See comments below.
|
| BTW: in future posts you should make your lines about half as long. my
| newsreader has a real hard time formatting your message so I can read it.
|

| What are the arrangements for the birth. Are you planning to do
| a repeat elective c-section. Are your birthing in a military
| hospital. My first comments are that your would be much better
| of if you could do a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarian), but
| if you are in a backward military hospital, the doctors and
| the staff will probably will object. You should at least ask
| for a trial by labor. You may want to post more on this group
| about why you had to have a cesarian in the first place. Mothers
| are much more liiely to be successful breastfeeding if they
| birth vaginally than if they birth via c-section.

Unless I am out of the "treatment area" I have to go to the military hospital located on the base where we live to have
the baby. I'm going to try to avoid having another c-section as that one caused *major* problems. The doctors in the
military hospital were the ones that suggested a VBAC for me as they say that I'm a good candidate because of my age at
the time of the first one, where the incision was located, and the length of time between babies. We are keeping our
fingers crossed about being able to have her by VBAC.

I was unable to have DS vaginally because, according to the doctor, his head was too big. He was 7 lbs 12 oz, and a few
years after he was born, I found out that if the doctor would have waited a little while longer, I probalby wouldn't
have needed a c-section.

| I have some fairly strong opinions on some of what you say here.
| In the first place, having them feed the kid is the wrong approach
| to helping you when you have a new baby, they should be doing the
| errands, cooking and house cleaning, and let you lounge around and
| nurse the baby until you are both ready to do other things. :-)

Their approach at feeing DS for me was met with very loud obnoxious protests. Very true on the errands cooking and
cleaning.

| If they want to help with the baby, they can change diapers, and
| play with the baby when he/she is full but awake. This will do
| more good for both you and the baby!

I talked with the patient advocate the other day, and she said that they will abide by my wishes, if not, I'm to give
her a call while I'm *in* the hospital and she will fix the problem for me.

| Well I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that
| there are only a small number of good pumps under $100. The good news
| is that if you plan to nurse exclusively and you won't really need to
| pump much.
|
| First let me say that pumps made by formula companies are generally
| crap and should be avoided like the plague. Second, if you really
| want to be safe, use only pumps recommended on this newsgroup.
|
| That said, here are the ones commonly recommended...
|
| Avent Isis: This is a manual pump costing about $35-$40. Many people
| swear by it, but you do have to learn to do the manual pumping thing.
|
| Medela Mini Electric: This is a single electric which is battery
| operated. You can buy an AC adapter. $70 - $80. It's disadvantages
| are that it is noisy and it eats batteries. However it is the only
| good inexpensive electric pump
|
| Beyond that, you have placed the other two I would recommend outside
| of your range.
|
| Ameda Purely Yours: about $200. This is a very good double electric.
| (You can pump both sides at once). It is probably about the best
| choice for someone who wants to work and nurse, and is still on a
| budget.
|
| Medela Pump_In-Style about $250. This is one of the best double
| electrics made for home use, although some say the Purely Yours is
| just a good. Again this is for the working nurser.
|
| Avoid all other brands.

Tyvm...I'll start looking now that I have brand names.

| I think you definately need to talk to some supportive breastfeeding
| moms WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE. You should probably find and talk
| to an IBCLC certified Lactation Consultant who is not connected
| with the hospital. You should try to attend some LLL meetings
| BEFORE the baby is born (as well as after).

I have a couple online friends that bfed their kids that are willing to be called at all hours of the night if I have
problems. LC's around here are few and very very far between, and going to LLL meetings before baby is born is out. DH
works during the week, and has some really odd hours sometimes, and my doc doesn't want me driving by myself unless I'm
staying on post. The closest LLL is roughly an hour away.

| Good luck,
| Larry

Thanks a bunch!!!

Karlee in Kansas

Old July 27th 03, 07:25 AM
Karlee in Kansas

Melissa wrote

| However, if you're well endowed, you can't possibly go without a nursing bra
| for very long without being in massive pain. Buy a few good bras (Bravado is
| comfortable for the first bit if you're larger and then the Medela bras are
| wonderful if you're larger, otherwise, there are lots from which to choose).
| I used to be a 34DD and am now a 38DD so I never go braless.

Prepregnancy I was a 36DD, now I'm a 36DDD. 38's don't fit around the ribcage right and pinch things that they aren't
supposed to pinch. One of my favorite bras is one that I got when I was pg with DS. It is cut like a sports bra, more
stretchy, no underwire, and "breathes" better than a regular bra. It offers just enough support that I'm not
uncomfortable and when I bend over, I don't smack myself in the face with a boob. I also have a Playtex maternity bra
that has the closure on the front. It too is comfortable without being restricting. I alternate between the two of
them. Going braless is not an option. Most nights before pg, I slept in a sports bra, now I sleep in the first bra I
mentioned, and wear the other one during the day. Going without a bra makes my chest and shoulders hurt. I remember
the pain of trying to go braless with DS (the LC the first time around told me that if I wore a bra that my milk would
dry up...she was full of really interesting advice, none of which I plan on following this time around.) and don't
really want to go through that again.

| Regarding not going out for 8-12 weeks, I'd argue with that too. Although
| some mothers don't take their children out of the house for that long, we
| chose to do so and haven't had any problems. DD came out for dinner with us
| when she was six days old and has been going on errands and to restaurants
| with us every since. She hasn't had any colds and I'm very careful to keep
| people from touching her. Maybe we've just been lucky. However, I believe
| that my sanity has been much better because we have continued to go out and
| I've continued to do errands. If I had been trapped alone in the house with
| my very lovely, but extremely fussy dd for 12 weeks, neither of us would be
| as happy as we are now. YMMV

It is impossible for me to be able to stay in the house exclusively for 8-12 weeks. Because of the hours that my
husband works, I have to take DS to and from school, and run errands that wouldn't get run otherwise. Two weeks after
my EDD, DH is scheduled for another field mission, and will be gone for roughly a week. I live on post, but my closest
neighbors all work during the day or are not receptive to being friends. Our families are either in another state,
and/or we don't want them visiting for that long (very long stories). DH's "wives chain" don't get together very often,
and I know only a handful of them by name, and wouldn't go as far as to say that they are even "acquaintances". (The
wives in his unit are known for snubbing "new wives" and wives of soldiers that are not NCOs. Due to both of these
reasons, I keep my distance from them.) Life can be difficult in the military (not to mention odd, to say the least),
so I have learned to be resourceful. I can manage to stay in the house for 2-3 days in a stretch tops, until we run out
of milk, tp, and the like, of course we don't ever run out until DH is already at work (Murphy's Law).

I started taking DS out of the house at 9 days old (I had only been out of the hospital for 3 days at that point), and
he didn't get his first cold until he was 6 months old. Most people in this area are good about not touching
babies....unless the baby is still in the belly (which irritates me to no end when a stranger comes up to "rub the
buddha", but that in itself is a whole 'nother story).

Karlee in Kansas

Old July 27th 03, 09:05 AM
Akuvikate

"Melissa" wrote in message news:G%CUa.154797$H17.54696@sccrnsc02...
"Larry McMahan" wrote the response below...
Nursing pads.

FWIW, despite conventional wisdom that says pads with waterproof
backing are bad, the ones that I've found by far most comfortable --
particularly at first when I was leaking like a fountain -- were
disposable pads with absorbent polymers (similar to the stuff they use
in disposable diapers). The reusable cotton ones I'd soak through
immediately and they worsened my soreness and itchiness. That said,
the first week or two going au naturel around the house did wonders
for the soreness.

However even some mother find they soak through the pads.
Honestly, you should probably not be wearing a bra that often (or going
out where you need to put one on the first 8 to 12 weeks.

Regarding not going out for 8-12 weeks, I'd argue with that too.

Me three! DD and I would both be dead or insane if I stayed cooped up
in the house that long! I was running errands in the neighborhood
with DD in her sling on day 4. At our 2 week pediatrician visit I
asked about restrictions on going out, and he said other than avoiding
crowds and freezing cold, "a baby this beautiful ought to be paraded
around for everyone to see" (we really like this pediatrician :-). So
I've been out and about plenty, and no illness so far. DD always
comes with me, and I'm sure it helps that I have few qualms about
nursing in public. Especially in the past week or so since she's more
aware of her surroundings the Bug seems to like getting out as much as
I do.

Kate
and Bug, June 8 2003
Old July 27th 03, 09:19 AM
Akuvikate

"Karlee in Kansas" wrote in message ...

1) What kind of pump do you recommend and where can I find one (our Wal-Mart has nothing for pumps and the closest baby
store is an hour away....I'm thinking I can find one on the internet)?

I use the Avent Isis, a $40 manual pump, which serves me well.
Haven't tried any others. Should be available online, perhaps
target.com or babiesrus.com.

2) Opinions on the Avent bottles?

We just use them becouse they came with the pump -- she's doing well
with them.

3) At what age is it safe to introduce a bottle of EBM while avoiding nipple confusion?

_The_Nursing_Mathers_Companion_ (fabulous book you might want to get)
suggests 3-4 weeks, folks on this ng generally say 4-6 weeks.

4) What kind of bra inserts do you recommend to prevent leakage through the shirt?

Specific nursing pads that worked well for me have been the Lanisoh
disposables and Gerber Heavy Flow. Esp at night if you leak much you
need a lot of absorbancy and a large pad, since your breasts will
probably shift in your bra as you change positions.

Kate
and Bug, June 8 2003
Old July 27th 03, 12:18 PM
Lorraine L

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:56:46 -0500, "Karlee in Kansas"
wrote:

I have a couple online friends that bfed their kids that are willing to be called at all hours of the night if I have
problems. LC's around here are few and very very far between, and going to LLL meetings before baby is born is out. DH
works during the week, and has some really odd hours sometimes, and my doc doesn't want me driving by myself unless I'm
staying on post. The closest LLL is roughly an hour away.

Karlee,

If you do run into problems that you need help up close and personal,
there is an excellent breastfeeding clinic in Topeka. I know that's
going to be a drive for you (assuming you're at Riley), but there may
come a time that the drive will be worth it. If you want more
information, let me know. My daughter went there when she ran into
problems and solutions were always found. I never thought to ask her
where this clinic was or what it cost, but I will if you want the
information.

Good luck,
Lorraine
Grandma to Madison - Feb. 17,2000

Old July 27th 03, 03:32 PM
Karlee in Kansas

| Kate
| and Bug, June 8 2003

This is a little off topic here....but I couldn't resist....your little Bug and I have the same birthday(different year
of course)!!

On another note....thank you for you opinions, I'll be looking into them!

Karlee in Kansas