Oh, oh, oh, oatmeal!

Old January 25th 04, 06:03 AM
Chotii

Default Oh, oh, oh, oatmeal!

We all know that oatmeal boosts milk production. Lots of us eat it for that
reason. Guess what? It works even when you don't want it to, when you're not
eating it for that reason. I was craving oatmeal like crazy and after a
couple days of having it in the morning, woo nelly...

I haven't been engorged in months. I don't enjoy it. (Baby did.)

--angela

Old January 25th 04, 12:15 PM
AskeyKO

We all know that oatmeal boosts milk production. Lots of us eat it for that
reason. Guess what? It works even when you don't want it to, when you're not
eating it for that reason. I was craving oatmeal like crazy and after a
couple days of having it in the morning, woo nelly...

I haven't been engorged in months. I don't enjoy it. (Baby did.)

--angela

Yeah, in the early days with my first child, I was eating a double batch of
instant oatmeal every morning, as 90 seconds in the microwave was about all the
time I had to spare to myself :-) I had no clue that it would boost milk
production.

Try having a 3 week old baby who nurses every 2 hours for 45 minutes+ and
eating two bowls full of oatmeal every day for 2 weeks or so. No wonder I
leaked like a seive until 14 mos! LOL

Oh to have that milk back now. . .

Old January 26th 04, 07:36 PM
PandA Aerospace

"AskeyKO" -uh wrote in message
[...]

I never realised oatmeal had such a dramatic effect :-) - does anyone
know if the "Oat So Simple" cereal-type thing (in the UK) will do the trick?
If not, what can you suggest? I'm already taking Fenugreek, but it doesn't
seem to be working that well.

Thanks in advance.

Angela
Mum to Aeryn (21.07.03) [and due back at work on Monday :-(]

Old January 27th 04, 08:24 AM
Ellie

Not sure if that works Angela but I just buy bags of oatmeal (available at
most supermarkets it seems) and make porridge with it for breakfast. I
still pump in the night even if the twins sleep through because I'm still
trying to get a freezer stash as backup for when I'm at work. (wanted to do
that before I returned to work but couldn't manage it). Pumped 15oz in 20
mins last night so somethings working!! I also take fenugreek and brewers
yeast.

Right ... off to make porridge )))

Ellie (UK)

b/g twins nearly 16 wks!!!

Old January 27th 04, 10:52 AM
Anne Rogers

I never realised oatmeal had such a dramatic effect :-) - does anyone
know if the "Oat So Simple" cereal-type thing (in the UK) will do the trick?
If not, what can you suggest? I'm already taking Fenugreek, but it doesn't
seem to be working that well.

I think the instant stuff will work, if oats have an effect for you, I
don't notice an effect on the days I have oat so simple, but nor did I
when I ate regular porridge. The only time I notice an oat effect was when
I ate a load of flapjacks when he was about 2months old, it didn't work
the next time I tried it.

Old January 27th 04, 10:55 AM
Anne Rogers

Not sure if that works Angela but I just buy bags of oatmeal (available at
most supermarkets it seems) and make porridge with it for breakfast. I
still pump in the night even if the twins sleep through because I'm still
trying to get a freezer stash as backup for when I'm at work. (wanted to do
that before I returned to work but couldn't manage it). Pumped 15oz in 20
mins last night so somethings working!! I also take fenugreek and brewers
yeast.

though usually in the baking section not the cereal section, I asked an
american friend for the translations and it seems oatmeal is just porridge
made with what we would call porridge oats, or rolled oats or even steel
cut oats. What we call oatmeal they call ground oats over the pond, in the
UK meal means a ground up grain, I think it's a cooked grain across the
pond. So no need to buy bages of oatmeal, unless you prefer the taste of
porrisge made with it (I do, I get if from the fair trade store near to
home, much cheaper than the supermarket)

Old January 27th 04, 12:09 PM
Lara

PandA Aerospace wrote:

I never realised oatmeal had such a dramatic effect :-) - does anyone
know if the "Oat So Simple" cereal-type thing (in the UK) will do the trick?

It's really, really sugary. I'd get plain microwave porridge, and only
add sugar [1] if needed.

Lara

[1] or maple syrup, my preferred option.
Old January 27th 04, 12:13 PM
Linz

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:52:24 +0000, Anne Rogers
wrote:

I never realised oatmeal had such a dramatic effect :-) - does anyone
know if the "Oat So Simple" cereal-type thing (in the UK) will do the trick?
If not, what can you suggest? I'm already taking Fenugreek, but it doesn't
seem to be working that well.

I think the instant stuff will work, if oats have an effect for you, I
don't notice an effect on the days I have oat so simple, but nor did I
when I ate regular porridge. The only time I notice an oat effect was when
I ate a load of flapjacks when he was about 2months old, it didn't work
the next time I tried it.

I can't stand porridge - will muesli have a similar effect?
--
Linz
YB: 12 weeks, 14lbs 14oz
Old January 27th 04, 03:38 PM
Dawn Lawson

Anne Rogers wrote:

though usually in the baking section not the cereal section, I asked an
american friend for the translations and it seems oatmeal is just porridge
made with what we would call porridge oats, or rolled oats or even steel
cut oats. What we call oatmeal they call ground oats over the pond, in the
UK meal means a ground up grain, I think it's a cooked grain across the
pond. So no need to buy bages of oatmeal, unless you prefer the taste of
porrisge made with it (I do, I get if from the fair trade store near to
home, much cheaper than the supermarket)

meal is indeed a ground grain, not a cooked one necessarily, though many
ARE ground to make cooking faster. (cornmeal, oatmeal, etc) HERE
however, oatmeal has broadend to include porridge oats in various forms.

It gets weird, doesn't it? Corn here is maize there, and grain here is
corn there. Feeding horses bilingually can get very confusing.

Dawn

Low fat oatmeal bars? squares? REcipes requested Ducky Lawyer Breastfeeding 43 January 23rd 04 02:16 PM
oatmeal recipes Anne Rogers Breastfeeding 11 July 30th 03 03:03 PM
oatmeal? K.B. Breastfeeding 5 July 23rd 03 03:19 AM
Got Some Questions Shelby Breastfeeding 13 July 18th 03 06:22 PM
Has anyone ever tried these? Marie Breastfeeding 24 July 17th 03 08:50 PM