Cough-crying?

Old January 28th 04, 02:06 AM
Chotii

Default Cough-crying?

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
news:OzDRb.310147$ts4.220796@pd7tw3no...

Shannon G wrote:
"Chotii" wrote in message

Have any of you seen this behavior befo

Baby, 6 months old. At night, still sleeping, cough-cries - I mean, her
cries sound like coughing or barking, very short, harsh, and

distinctive.
Always settled by nursing. Will proceed to actual crying if the

cough-cry is
not answered. Does not do this during the daytime, even during/when

waking
from naps. This is clearly a behavior, and more specifically, a

*learned*
behavior. It's not a true cough, it's a specific sort of cry.

This sounds exactly like DD when she isn't feeling well, usually a cold
w/post nasal drip. The cough is just enough to kinda wake her to

cry/moan
but not enough to fully wake her up. Have you tried a cool mist

humidifier?

Oh yeah, we like Delsym at our house too :-)

Although, why give Delsym for something that is "not a true cough, it's
a specific sort of cry" that several other people have suggested is a
hunger signal, and is stopped by nursing? That it doesn't happen during
the day just says to me that the child makes earlier signs for hunger
and gets hungry at night.....

To the OP...does the baby nurse voraciously at these times?

In fact, I think we've got two different thread-ideas going on he
children with a post-nasal-drip cough at night, and children who have a
cough-type cry to indicate hunger.

I'm the OP, and my daughter does not (AFAIK) have a true cough. She has a
cough-type cry to indicate early hunger. If nursed at that time, she will
take one breast and I don't think she empties it, and she doesn't wake. If
left to the point of crying a true/frantic/distress cry, she will wake
fully and empty both breasts. This means (sadly) that she wakes *me* many
times a night to feed, without actually getting a full feed herself, but I'm
not willing to leave her to the point of frantic crying.

--angela

Old January 28th 04, 04:19 AM
Dawn Lawson

Chotii wrote:

I'm the OP, and my daughter does not (AFAIK) have a true cough. She has a
cough-type cry to indicate early hunger. If nursed at that time, she will
take one breast and I don't think she empties it, and she doesn't wake. If
left to the point of crying a true/frantic/distress cry, she will wake
fully and empty both breasts. This means (sadly) that she wakes *me* many
times a night to feed, without actually getting a full feed herself, but I'm
not willing to leave her to the point of frantic crying.

Can *you* wake *her* more fully at that point, instead of waiting for
her to get frantic? Maybe she'd nurse better and then sleep longer? I
know, it's a total drag to extend a night-waking any longer than the
minimal, and sometimes it just doesn't seem worth taking that extra 5 or
10 minutes at 2am....it's easier just to groan and expect to wake again
n a couple hours. BTDT. ;-)

Dawn

Old January 28th 04, 03:05 PM
zeldabee

Nina was all, like:
"Beth" wrote...
"Dawn Lawson" wrote...
DS had a cough-cry that was a signal for hunger, but I'm not sure
that's what you're describing.

So does mine. I've heard other babies indicate hunger by
coughing/crying. Actually, my DS' signal sounds more like coughing
and laughter.

my kids all did this Beavis laugh/cr thing.

Sprogly does that. It can turn from a fuss sound to a happy sound as I'm
lifting my shirt. It's too cute.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

prolong cough Jean General 5 April 23rd 04 05:34 PM
Q's from a nervous Mom...crying at breast, spitting up, etc... Kathy Breastfeeding 9 December 10th 03 05:03 PM
Nursing and crying (confusion??) [email protected] Breastfeeding 5 November 27th 03 08:29 AM
Deep Cough Pregnancy 2 September 25th 03 06:02 AM
writhing and crying in night Nevermind General 6 August 5th 03 06:16 AM