Never Leave Women In Shoes Store, They Shop To Much

Old January 31st 08, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Default Never Leave Women In Shoes Store, They Shop To Much

Banty wrote:
[snip]
What you in the UK call a car boot sale would be considered somewhere
between a garage sale or yard sale and a flea market or swap meet, I'm
pretty sure that we don't have an equivalent in the US

And here I thought she meant something to do with booting a car, and was
totally confused.

LOL - yes it sounds more like a way for the local parking enforcement agencies
to raise cash at auction.

I assume that folks are selling things out of their car trunk. Not very common
in the U.S., but such sales was a storied part of the rise of hip hop in the
'80s. Not called "boot sales".

A bit more organised then that.

Someone with a spare field/car park etc will advertise a "car boot
sale". Sellers pay the organiser a set amount (typically £5-£10), and
in return they get a pitch in the field where they can park their car
and have a small area where they can put up a table (not supplied by the
organiser). Buyers sometimes have to pay (but not always), for the
priveledge of seeing what everyone else is selling. Typically there
would be between 20 and several hundred cars: bigger car boot sales are
held weekly and widely advertised.

A varient is a "table-top sale", where you pay a simialar amount for an
actual table in a hall. Given the weather over here, these aren't as
common as car boots.

We do have a regionally varying array of names for sales where people sell stuff
outside by their houses:

Garage sale (in the garage; no the garage isn't for sale)
Yard sale (similar, no property for sale usually
Tag sale (what they call them in the NYC suburban area, tags are not for sale,
but what's for sale is tagged)
Probably more...

There are the occasional garage sale, over here, but they are really
quite rare.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old January 31st 08, 11:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Rosalie B. wrote:
Penny Gaines wrote:

Banty wrote:
In article , Welches says...
And my main pair of shoes cost me £1.99-I wear school plimsoles a lot of the
time. I think I paid £4 for my trainers too. Dh otoh has 2 pairs of trainers
at about £30 each (still cheap for trainers here) and his work shoes which
were about £80 (but subsidised from work).
Plimsoles??

Plimsoles: rubber-soled canvas shoes, for sports like tennis or indoor
games. May have velcro or laces, sometimes elasticated band. I think
you'd call them sneakers or tennis shoes.

Trainers?? Huh?

Trainers - I always assumed they were an American import (like car-boot
sales). Maybe you'd call them running shoes, but most people here wear
them as casual shoes.

So what's the difference between plimsoles and trainers?

[snip]

Plimsoles are made out of two or three pieces of material, and any
decoration is in the fabric. They tend not to provide any ankle support
and are not waterproof. They are usually black, but occasionally white.

Trainers are made of lots of bits of material (or at least look like
they are made of lots of pieces). The material is padded and usually
waterproof. They can be any colour or combinations of colours.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old February 2nd 08, 03:03 AM posted to misc.kids, alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

On Jan 31, 4:17*am, Penny Gaines wrote:

Plimsoles:

is this post from you? Are you really
considering keeping fish? Fish
gotta EAT, you know!

mk5000

" No, I think you were just projecting yourself. It's
pretty obvious actually."--sherlock shomes
Old February 2nd 08, 03:22 AM posted to misc.kids, alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

On Jan 29, 4:52*pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
\

Or at garage sales. May I ask? How many antique hand planes does one man
really need? Seriously, he uses his power plane for the real work.- Hide quoted text -

I had this strange dream of uncle where my aunt was buying earrings
for him

they were orange spessartite stones, 4 x 4 row in silver

I was shocked and asked aunt when he had started wearing earrings

she said he'd always wanted to wear them but it hadn't been popular

of course, she's the one who took me to have my ears pierced when I
was ten so i figure she'd take him too

also I was really excited because he and I had the same taste, as I
had a similar pair of earrings

mk5000

"They are gourami fishes, I think they are native of India"--
JS

Old February 2nd 08, 04:42 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:41:11 +0000, Penny Gaines
wrote:

Someone with a spare field/car park etc will advertise a "car boot
sale". Sellers pay the organiser a set amount (typically £5-£10), and
in return they get a pitch in the field where they can park their car
and have a small area where they can put up a table (not supplied by the
organiser). Buyers sometimes have to pay (but not always), for the
priveledge of seeing what everyone else is selling. Typically there
would be between 20 and several hundred cars: bigger car boot sales are
held weekly and widely advertised.

This sounds similar to a flea market here actually.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old February 2nd 08, 06:23 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

wrote:

Someone with a spare field/car park etc will advertise a "car boot
sale". Sellers pay the organiser a set amount (typically £5-£10), and
in return they get a pitch in the field where they can park their car
and have a small area where they can put up a table (not supplied by the
organiser). Buyers sometimes have to pay (but not always), for the
priveledge of seeing what everyone else is selling. Typically there
would be between 20 and several hundred cars: bigger car boot sales are
held weekly and widely advertised.

This sounds similar to a flea market here actually.

Sometimes also called a swap meet. Although there isn't any swapping
going on usually except for money. The Ham Radio clubs have periodic
swap meets - usually at some county fair grounds - for electronic
equipment mostly, although they also have some books and beadwork and
stuff like that.

Canton Texas holds what they call "Trade Days" on the first Monday of
the month. The thing actually starts on the Thursday prior to
Monday.First Monday Trade Days hosts up to 7,000 vendors and as many
as 300,000 visitors in a town of a population of 5100.

There's a weekend Flea Market on Big Pine Key (in the Florida Keys)
where you can buy clothing items (such as 3 T-shirts for $10 -
seconds) or knives or art work or second hand items or vegetables and
flowers.

Hershey PA also holds a huge antique car swap meet in October of each
year. It was so big even in the 70s that I could not physically walk
through all of it in 2 days, and people had to stay miles away.

Sometimes the semi-permanent ones are also called Farmer's Markets -
we have one in our county - the Amish bring things to it as well as
other farmers. They have auctions there too - of horses and livestock
among other things.