Soy-based infant formula

Old November 11th 03, 03:19 PM
Vicki S

Default Soy-based infant formula

While this is an interesting question, I think you are asking in the
wrong places. First of all, the pregnancy newsgroup is primarily
frequented by those who are pregnant, and therefore not yet (or no
longer) feeding an infant. And the breastfeeding newsgroup has very,
very few readers who are exclusively feeding artificial milk. Plus, we
don't get a lot of Israelis here. You might try misc.kids, or see if
there is an active formula newsgroup.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this. As a Jew, a Zionist, and an
Ima of two who loves babies, I have been deeply disturbed by this news
story. That the bad artificial milk comes from Germany does nothing to
ease my discomfort.

In article 2003Nov11.162641@hujicc, wrote:
I'm a former consulting editor (1983-1987) of the JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC
ENDOCRINOLOGY and a strong proponent of breastfeeding.

After 15 infants in Israel were hospitalized this past week with what looks
like thiamine deficiency [I'm personally not convinced] the soy-based
infant formula made by a German firm (HUMANA) was taken off the shelves.

Since vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency develops within 18 days and 5000
infants used this formula for at least 1-2 months, unless textbooks in
nutritional biochemistry need to be re-written, the only possibility
demonstrating that the cause was indeed a deficency of thiamine in the
formula (and not due to a toxic factor in one specific batch, or aluminium
in the water supply, or a rare inborn error of metabolism such as
lipoamide dehydrogenase deficiency or to a thiamine-responsive disorder
such as ketoaciduria due to low activity of branched-chain keto acid
dehydrogenase) is that 99.7% of mothers who give their infants a soy-based
formula ALSO give their child other foods which contain thiamine (enough
to prevent overt deficiency). Otherwise we would expect to see hundreds
if not thousands of hospitalized infants with beriberi (thiamine
deficiency).

To those mothers who give their infants a soy-based formula: do you give
the formula EXCLUSIVELY to the exclusion of any other food item with
the exception of tap water ? Or do you add other food items to the baby's
diet in ADDITION to the soy-based formula ?

Your input is vital to solve this problem. It will be a "first" for USENET !

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Dr. Josh Backon
Hebrew Unversity