Catholic hospitals and c-section rates

Old November 19th 03, 08:17 PM
Erika

Default Catholic hospitals and c-section rates

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:21:29 -0500, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

Erika wrote:

What is the ratio though. Is the religiously connected hospitals in
minority or majority or what`?

It varies greatly depending on what part of the
country you're in. Many (all?) of the religious hospitals are
run as non-profits, and sometimes they're the only game
in town in some rural areas that for-profits aren't
interested in touching.

Best wishes,
Ericka

I would absolutely hate to have to turn to a religious hospital (or
religious anything for that matter). I though you had state hospitals
of some sort as well?

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.

Old November 19th 03, 08:28 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Iuil wrote:

*Based on those directives, the policy surrounding an ectopic pregnancy here
*is that the tube is always removed. Otherwise it's classified as a "direct
*abortion" which is illegal here.

OK, wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that when there is an ectopic
pregnancy, your physicians are required to perform salpingectomy, despite
the potential impact on future fertility?? Wouldn't it make more sense to
use methotrexate in those women who were good candidates for it (since it
doesn't require invasive surgery), and salpingotomy or fimbrial expression
rather than salpingectomy in women who met the criteria for those
procedures, to preserve their fertility???

I don't really understand why salpingectomy would be preferable to any of
those other procedures even from a religious or ethical standpoint. The
end result in any case is the removal of a fetus from the mom's body, so
what's the problem??

Old November 19th 03, 08:37 PM
Erika

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:51:26 -0500, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

Hmmm, there are public hospitals (owned and operated
by the government) as well as for-profit and not-for-profit
private hospitals. There isn't a guarantee that there will
always be a convenient public hospital for everyone, however.

Best wishes,
Ericka

It is a pity. Good non profit, non religious, health care should be
available to everyone in this world. It shouldn't have to be about
your wallet either.

Old November 19th 03, 09:15 PM
Iuil

"Hillary Israeli" wrote

*Based on those directives, the policy surrounding an ectopic pregnancy

here
*is that the tube is always removed. Otherwise it's classified as a

"direct
*abortion" which is illegal here.

OK, wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that when there is an ectopic
pregnancy, your physicians are required to perform salpingectomy, despite
the potential impact on future fertility??

AFAIK, yes.

Wouldn't it make more sense to
use methotrexate in those women who were good candidates for it (since it
doesn't require invasive surgery), and salpingotomy or fimbrial expression
rather than salpingectomy in women who met the criteria for those
procedures, to preserve their fertility???

That would mean treatment solely to end the "life" of the embryo, equal to a
direct abortion.

I don't really understand why salpingectomy would be preferable to any of
those other procedures even from a religious or ethical standpoint. The
end result in any case is the removal of a fetus from the mom's body, so
what's the problem??

Because removal of a foetus is a direct abortion.

I don't claim it's logical, I don't claim that it's medically sound but, to
the best of my knowledge, that is what is done. And it's done because of RC
doctrine, as put forward by the bishops of this country during the debates
surrounding abortion over the past 20+ years.

Jean
--
HOLLY: Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of
vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other type

Old November 19th 03, 09:58 PM
Anne Rogers

which brings up an issue that has been long stewing in my mind about
ectopic pregnancies, I'm strongly against abortion and as I understand it,
when and ectopic pregnancy is diagnosed the foetus is usually still alive,
I'm not sure what I would do and obviously should it happen is not the
time to be deciding!

Based on those directives, the policy surrounding an ectopic pregnancy here
is that the tube is always removed. Otherwise it's classified as a "direct
abortion" which is illegal here.

though it might not medically be necessary to remove the tube, which to me
seems silly, removing the tube causes the death of the foetus and risks
fertitlity problems for the women, just removing the foetus (if this is
possible) is the same result for it and a better result for the woman.

Old November 19th 03, 10:32 PM
Ericka Kammerer

wrote:

Hmmm, there are public hospitals (owned and operated
by the government) as well as for-profit and not-for-profit
private hospitals. There isn't a guarantee that there will
always be a convenient public hospital for everyone, however.

It is a pity. Good non profit, non religious, health care should be
available to everyone in this world. It shouldn't have to be about
your wallet either.

You won't get any argument from me on that one,
but it's not a perception that tends to go over well in
the US ;-) Of course, with skyrocketing health care
costs that may change one day...

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 20th 03, 11:15 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:58:10 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

LOL! You aren't so far off. Before my D&C's a priest did come in and give

me
a blessing!
--
JennP.

Well the hospital Chaplain visited me during each hospital stay with the
kids at each Navy hospital. I'm not religious *at all* but I thought that
was kinda neat

Our local hospital has a number of Chaplains: CofE (Episcopalean),
Catholic, as well as a Muslim and Hindu 'chaplain'. The CofE chaplain
visited us twice while Seoras was in NICU and performed his baptism.
Though we are actually CofScotland (Presbyterian) Father Stuart really
helped us a lot.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com