Gassy baby

Old July 12th 03, 12:05 AM
Jen

Default Gassy baby

I do need advice about my gassy baby. DD is 5 weeks old and she is getting
fussy in the evening recently. DH & I suspect DD might suffer from gas by
the end of the day. I have talked with the community nurse, and she
suggested us to use gas relieve drop, but still it has not improved. And
another thing is I find that she only latches on for couple minutes (5min a
most) although she seems to be very hungry before nurse. The nurse said DD
may only drink the foremilk which make her pretty gassy. I tried to relatch
her or burp her before relatching her; however, she doesn't relatch. Any
suggestion for making her nursed longer that she can take the hindmilk as
well.

And now DD is 5 weeks old but she still wakes up every 2-3 hrs at night. I
guess she might not having enough milk. Please give me some advice.

Jen

Old July 12th 03, 02:37 AM
Jen

"LSU Grad of '89" wrote in
:

Have you tried nursing on one breast only at each feeding ?

L.

"Jen" wrote in message
1...
[...]

in fact, DD only take one side at a time. And she just latch on for
couple minutes only. I guess my milk let down too forceful that's why she
takes off and sometimes she even chokes. How can I slow down the let
down?
Old July 12th 03, 01:34 PM
hobbes

I did try to nurse DD with lay down position; however, I just wonder do I
need to burp her? If not, she will make noise while she hasn't been

burped.
=(

Since babies don't seem to gulp as much air when they're sleepy, you'll
probably soon get to the point where you don't need to burp her at night.
But if she seems uncomfortable, then you should definitely burp her. One way
to do it is to just lay her over your hip (as you lie on your side) and pat
her back. That way you don't even have to getup. Or you can prop yourself up
on your elbows, sit her up so she's sort of leaning against you, support her
belly with one hand, and pat her back with the other.

DD is almost 3 months old, and I haven't regularly burped her at night since
she was around 1 month old. There are times, however, when she gets really
squirmy and won't settle, and then I usually can get a burp out.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 4 months) & Arwen (2 months)

Old July 12th 03, 03:33 PM
iphigenia

Jen wrote:

In this case, the other breast milk supply will getting low? Or I
should switch after couple times of feeding of same side? Yes, green
poops do appear.I did try to express some from the overactive side,
however, she's still not latching on for only couple minutes (~5
min) I am afraid she never get the hindmilk.

I doubt supply will be compromised by using one breast for two or three
feedings in a row. You might feel a little full on the side you're not
using; pumping or hand-expressing while baby is nursing should help that.

I did try to nurse DD with lay down position; however, I just wonder
do I need to burp her? If not, she will make noise while she hasn't
been burped. =(

Try it and see. I never burped DS after night feedings. Breastfed babies
tend to not need burping as much anyway.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net