ARGH!!! Super formula???? WTF?

Old October 2nd 03, 07:23 PM
Vicki S

Default ARGH!!! Super formula???? WTF?

Vijay wrote:
I mean, it's not as good as getting your own breastmilk right from
the breast, but it is possible I think. People sell it on ebay ...

Dawn Lawson replied:
WHaaaattt??? they sell it on Ebay??? I find that unlikely....really???

This I *HAD* to check for myself!

As of 1:20pm, EST, there is no human milk for sale on eBay. At least,
not under "breastmilk", "breast milk", or "human milk". There are
breast pumps and milk storage bags and such, but no actual milk.

Thank goodness!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old October 3rd 03, 12:56 PM
Linz

"Iuil" wrote in message

I have a carton of Aptamil* in my cupboard - fish oil is the sixth
listed ingredient after whey powder, skimmed milk, vegetable oils,
lactose and egg lipids. The rest of the ingredients are mineral and
vitamin compounds. See

http://www.milupa.ie/asp/show_produc...87&rt=780&ro=2 (scroll
down to the ingredients list).

We were discussing the advantages of breastmilk at ante-natal class this
week and the midwife mentioned how the long-chain fatty acids it
contains are good for brain development. "And so the formula
manufacturers are trying to put long-chain fatty acids into their
formula. And do you know where they get it from? This is really really
weird. You'll never believe this. They get the fatty acids from
tuna-fish eyeballs!".

Bloke looked at her, looked around the room and said "At last! A use for
tuna-fish eyeballs!" which caused some laughter.

Old October 4th 03, 05:39 AM
Denise

"Vijay" wrote in message
om...
Vicki S wrote in message

Vijay wrote:
I mean, it's not as good as getting your own breastmilk right from
the breast, but it is possible I think. People sell it on ebay ...

Dawn Lawson replied:
WHaaaattt??? they sell it on Ebay??? I find that

unlikely....really???

This I *HAD* to check for myself!

As of 1:20pm, EST, there is no human milk for sale on eBay. At least,
not under "breastmilk", "breast milk", or "human milk". There are
breast pumps and milk storage bags and such, but no actual milk.

Thank goodness!

Okay, now I can't remember if I actually saw this myself or if someone
told me about it.

Anyway. I was just going on what my friend told me when she said she
can't bf because of the lupus meds. I would think her doc would have
suggested a non-problematic one to her if such a thing exists. Luckily
she hasn't had the baby yet, so I can tell her to try to change her
meds.

-V.

I've discovered, in my brief time with Lupus, that you can't rely on doctors
to do the research when it comes to breastfeeding friendly medicines. I've
had numerous doctors tell me that specific medications were an absolute
weaning medicine, come to find they've been 1s or 2s in Hales. Most doctors
are pretty ill-informed in the world of breastfeeding, IME.

Old October 4th 03, 12:50 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:39:25 -0700, "Denise"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

I've discovered, in my brief time with Lupus, that you can't rely on doctors
to do the research when it comes to breastfeeding friendly medicines. I've
had numerous doctors tell me that specific medications were an absolute
weaning medicine, come to find they've been 1s or 2s in Hales. Most doctors
are pretty ill-informed in the world of breastfeeding, IME.

I suspect that is because, unfortunately many of them see absolutely
nothing wrong with formula feeding, so its not worth the effort!

I have had similar experiences with medication. The default seems to
be to tell people to just not BF. I'm in an area where the BF rate is
less than 10% anyway I suspect (at 4 months for sure) so its hardly
radical advice.

Even with medication in pregnancy I have hit a lot of ignorance in
doctors. Just recently my rheumatologist tried to convince me to stop
the citalopram I take. I asked him to look it up in the BNF and he
revised his advice

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old October 4th 03, 10:58 PM
Irish Marie

"Linz" wrote in message

We were discussing the advantages of breastmilk at ante-natal class this
week and the midwife mentioned how the long-chain fatty acids it
contains are good for brain development. "And so the formula
manufacturers are trying to put long-chain fatty acids into their
formula. And do you know where they get it from? This is really really
weird. You'll never believe this. They get the fatty acids from
tuna-fish eyeballs!".

Bloke looked at her, looked around the room and said "At last! A use for
tuna-fish eyeballs!" which caused some laughter.

Ewwwwwwwwww, you've put me right off my supper!!
--
Marie
Mum to DD born March '98, DS#1 born Nov '99 and DS#2 born Aug '03