Need more Calcium

Old February 22nd 05, 11:52 PM
Samantha Wyatt

Default Need more Calcium

I need more calcium but really hate milk and yogurt. Anyone got any
suggestions?
TIA
Old February 22nd 05, 11:55 PM
bookers

"Samantha Wyatt" wrote in message
I need more calcium but really hate milk and yogurt. Anyone got any
suggestions?
TIA

What about milkshakes or is that just as bad as milk????

Chanelle

Old February 23rd 05, 01:09 AM
Kim E

"Samantha Wyatt" wrote in message
I need more calcium but really hate milk and yogurt. Anyone got
any
suggestions?
TIA

Brocolli contains calcium

http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan...t.htm#broccoli

or what about calcium supplements?

-kim

Old February 23rd 05, 01:27 AM
hbar

How about cheese, maybe cottage cheese in a salad or a baked potato?
I've started taking Tums calcium tablets, they are chewable and are not
too sweet.
Helen

Old February 23rd 05, 01:34 AM

Samantha Wyatt wrote:
I need more calcium but really hate milk and yogurt. Anyone got any
suggestions?

Tums, ta-tum-tum Tums!!!

I feel your pain. I hate yogurt too, but I can choke down the vanilla
flavor. What if you used it as a dip for fresh fruit? I've been
putting Ovaltine in milk because it adds a lot of vitamins and stuff,
and makes it taste better.

I was taking those chewy chocolate calcium supplements before
pregnancy. They're pretty good. Just don't take them right before or
right after you brush your teeth, because all that sticky stuff gets
caught and makes a mess.

Fortified cereals and breads often contain a lot of calcium. I have
also seen orange juice that is fortified with calcium. How about soy
milk? Have you tried it? It tastes very un-milky. Especially the
flavored ones. I like vanilla on cereal. How about chocolate milk?

Cheese. Ice cream. Cottage cheese, if you can stand it. Non-milk or
yogurt dairy products, of course, will have calcium.

A half cup of tofu has 253 mg. of calcium and only 88 calories. Woo
hoo! Tofu party at my house!!! To-FU! To-FU! To-FU!!!

One ounce of almonds has 164 calories and 70 mg of calcium - plus a
whole bunch of vitamin E.

And of course, there's always beans, beans, the wonderful fruit... One
cup of white beans has 191 mg of calcium and 307 calories.

Statistics rudely stolen from ediets.com

Amy

Old February 23rd 05, 02:06 AM
Mamma Mia

SESAME SEEDS AND BROCCOLI STALKS AND FISH WITH BONES LIKE CANNED SALMON

sorry for shouting, caps lock on

Old February 23rd 05, 04:36 AM
Marion

My mom always throws a sliced lemon into the water when she boils a
chicken carcass to make chicken stock. Makes the broth taste nice, and
leaches calcium out of the bones into the liquid (you can tell, the
bones get all soft).

OH... and ICE CREAM! ;-)

Marion

Old February 23rd 05, 08:20 PM
Melania

Marion wrote:
My mom always throws a sliced lemon into the water when she boils a
chicken carcass to make chicken stock. Makes the broth taste nice,

and
leaches calcium out of the bones into the liquid (you can tell, the
bones get all soft).

That's a great idea! I'll definitely be doing that too from now on!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

OH... and ICE CREAM! ;-)

Marion

Old February 24th 05, 12:24 AM
bapayne

calcium enriched orange juice.

Old February 24th 05, 01:20 PM
Rivka W

Samantha Wyatt wrote:
I need more calcium but really hate milk and yogurt. Anyone got
any suggestions?

I hate milk too! I can only stomach it on cereal - I could never just
sit down and drink a glass of milk.

I'm getting my calcium from cheese, Tums, calcium-fortified orange
juice, and my new passion: Luna bars. They're nutritional supplement
bars designed for women (so, for example, they're not overloaded on
Vitamin A and the A they have is all in beta carotene, and they have
folic acid). One bar = 35% RDA of calcium, same as a yogurt or a glass
of milk.

Oh: I also find Yoplait custard-style yogurt much more palatable than
regular yogurt. It's smooth and creamy, no lumps.

Rivka
Li'l Critter due 4/3/05

--
Visit my weblog at http://respectfulofotters.blogspot.com