Childhood vaccinations suspended at Genesis pediatric clinics

Old July 5th 08, 07:29 AM posted to misc.kids.health
JOHN

Default Childhood vaccinations suspended at Genesis pediatric clinics

Childhood vaccinations suspended at Genesis pediatric clinics

Updated: July 3, 2008 02:55 AM

by Kia Carter

QUAD CITIES -- Wednesday all Genesis Medical Center Pediatric Clinics
suspended their use of childhood vaccines. The decision comes after a baby
received routine vaccinations on Tuesday, then died several hours later at
home. Genesis Health Group says its suspending pediatric vaccinations
merely as a precaution until the cause of the baby's death can be
determined.

Tuesday morning a 4-month-old baby boy came to the Genesis East Pediatrics
Clinic in Silvis for a routine checkup that included several vaccinations.
The seemingly healthy baby boy was brought in for a "well baby" visit,
that's a check up that includes routine vaccinations like pneumonia, and
DPT, which is for diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough) and tetanus. Then
Tuesday night his parents found him dead with no obvious cause for his
death. Now all childhood vaccinations at Genesis clinics in Silvis,
Bettendorf and Davenport have been temporarily suspended. A Genesis
spokesman says hospital administration have no reason to believe the
vaccines caused the baby's death, but they want to be overly cautious.

"They'll be a coroner's examination of the baby and we'll get a report. At
that time we'll most likely resume our vaccinations, because we don't think
there was a link between them and the child passing," says Craig Cooper,
Genesis Health Group spokesman.

Genesis has also sent the batch of vaccines the boy received off to the Food
and Drug Administration and to the makers of the vaccines for testing. This
is the first time Genesis has ever suspended pediatric vaccinations at it's
clinics. We'll continue to bring you the latest as Genesis finds answers.

http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=8613656&nav=1sW7

Old July 10th 08, 03:12 PM posted to misc.kids.health
Peter Parry

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 07:29:54 +0100, "JOHN" wrote:

We'll continue to bring you the latest as Genesis finds answers.

"July 7, 2008 Genesis Resumes Childhood Immunizations Genesis Health
System officials today announced their decision to resume offering
childhood vaccination services effective immediately. "