Winter babies

Old August 22nd 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anna.Nicole.m

Default Winter babies

I wanted to know if anyone has had a baby around October. I'm due
October 23 and i wanted to know about taking the baby out in winter.
My husband and I typically go out for walks with our dogs frequently in

the winter. Our average temp is between 30-40. Has anyone had
experience with taking their babies out in this weather to know when it

is ok to have them out, and for how long?

We have a pram stoller with a boot and we will get one of those winter
sack things, but is that enough?

I was thinking about waiting atleast 2 weeks. But If it isn't safe for

them to be out in the weather I will walk the dogs alone. Just
curious.

thanks for the help.

Old August 22nd 06, 05:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

We have a pram stoller with a boot and we will get one of those winter
sack things, but is that enough?

possibly not, the general advice is one more layer than you have on, which
in those kind of temperatures is going to be a lot of layers. It's also
helpful to protect them from the wind, so depending on the direction of the
wind, you might want to use a raincover even if it's dry.

I was thinking about waiting atleast 2 weeks. But If it isn't safe for

them to be out in the weather I will walk the dogs alone. Just
curious.

don't see any reason to wait even 2 weeks, in general babies are more at
risk from over heating than getting too cold, obviously you don't want them
to get hypothermia, but that is caused by prolonged exposure to cold, rather
than a hour outside, the baby will let you know if they don't like it!

Anne

Old August 22nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anna.Nicole.m

don't see any reason to wait even 2 weeks, in general babies are more at
risk from over heating than getting too cold, obviously you don't want them
to get hypothermia, but that is caused by prolonged exposure to cold, rather
than a hour outside, the baby will let you know if they don't like it!

Anne

thanks for the advice. I know being in the house I'll go stir crazy
and October weather is very pretty. All the smells for fall are
awesome.

Is it true that if babies get too cold they'll cry and fuss?

Old August 22nd 06, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Clair Crooks

Hi
All my babies were born in the winter, 2 in November and 1 in December. I
took all my children out for walks within days of being home from the
hospital. I made sure that they were wrapped up well and also put the
raincover of the pushchair over them to keep the wind off.
They all soon let me know if they didn't like being out there.
I was always told my my mum and gran that you should put one more layer on
the baby than you were wearing yourself.
None of my children suffered with colds or chest problems when small and I
believe that this was partly due to the fact that we went for walks
everyday, in all weather!! Fresh air is very good for children and may even
help a restless baby or child sleep easier.
HTH

Clair
UK Mum to DS1 (15.11.98) DD (24.12.99) and DS2 (15.11.02)

Old August 22nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

thanks for the advice. I know being in the house I'll go stir crazy
and October weather is very pretty. All the smells for fall are
awesome.

Is it true that if babies get too cold they'll cry and fuss?

if they are asleep there is a possiblity they will trip over into being too
cold and not be able to wake up and let you know, but in general, they'll
let you know if something isn't right, one of ours, I don't remember which
definitely woke in the night letting us know they were cold, when we
suddenly had a big freeze and had the heating set to switch off over night.
But it doesn't cause them a problem in the short term, that little incident
was resolved with a good long snuggle in our bed.

It's very difficult to see how short term getting *too* cold actually causes
harm, there is actually some miraculous stories of children surviving being
underwater for a long time when the water has been cold because it sends the
body into shut down mode, when had they been not breathing for the same
length of time in warm water they'd be dead and gone.

I'm not sure where you live, but have you put any thought into emergency
plans? I'm guessing there is a possibility of being cut off due to snow, or
worse getting stuck in a car somewhere, have you thought about having an
emergency box in the boot, with blankets and the like? In an emergency,
remember your own body temperature, the best thing you can do is put the
baby skin to skin with you and wrap both of you up as best as possible.

Anne

Old August 22nd 06, 06:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anna.Nicole.m

I'm not sure where you live, but have you put any thought into emergency
plans? I'm guessing there is a possibility of being cut off due to snow, or
worse getting stuck in a car somewhere, have you thought about having an
emergency box in the boot, with blankets and the like? In an emergency,
remember your own body temperature, the best thing you can do is put the
baby skin to skin with you and wrap both of you up as best as possible.

Anne

I live in the US in southern Pennsylvania. We typically do not get any
snow until at least december. With the exception of a few years ago we
rarely go below 25 F -4 C.

Other then a blizzard in 96 we also rarely get more then 6-8 inches of
snow. no worries of getting stuck out in the snow. I live on the
outside of a town in suburbia with tons of sidewalks.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

Anna.Nicole.m wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone has had a baby around October. I'm due
October 23 and i wanted to know about taking the baby out in winter.
My husband and I typically go out for walks with our dogs frequently in

the winter. Our average temp is between 30-40. Has anyone had
experience with taking their babies out in this weather to know when it

is ok to have them out, and for how long?

We have a pram stoller with a boot and we will get one of those winter
sack things, but is that enough?

I was thinking about waiting atleast 2 weeks. But If it isn't safe for

them to be out in the weather I will walk the dogs alone. Just
curious.

thanks for the help.

Jamie was a November baby and we took him out plenty of times in cold
weather. Just asked my husband what sort of level he would say the
temperature was at the time, and he estimates just above freezing at the
lowest (I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit).

My main worry (which I may or may not have been making too much of) was
how to deal with it when we went into somewhere warm like a shop, having
been out in the cold. Since he was wrapped up warmly enough to be out
in the cold, I didn't want him overheating when we went indoors, but I
also didn't want to be constantly pulling layers on and off him.
Presumably this wouldn't be a consideration if you were walking the dogs
rather than going to the shops.

However, what I eventually found easiest was to use the front carrier.
I think we had a Tomy, which came with its own warm cover for the baby,
and of course when I was carrying him I had my body heat to keep him
warm and also knew I'd be able to tell more easily if he was getting
chilled. I had him in the carrier a lot of the time anyway indoors, so
it was very easy either to slip the cover over it or just to put on a
big coat and wrap it round both of us - much easier than fussing around
with tiny jumpers and coats and strapping him into a pushchair.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old August 22nd 06, 10:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
oups.com...

Other then a blizzard in 96 we also rarely get more then 6-8 inches of
snow. no worries of getting stuck out in the snow. I live on the
outside of a town in suburbia with tons of sidewalks.

*shudder* I live in south east England, if we get a mild dusting of snow,
all our schools close!! My DH is from the north and mocks our fear of snow
I couldn't cope with 6-8 inched of snow, never mind casually mentioning
it like that!

Good luck with your winter baby!

Lucy x

Old August 23rd 06, 12:07 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Zaz

Knowing (after all the posts) you won't get below -4°C, I have absolutely no
worry about you taking your baby out in the "cold".

I live in Canada, and Mlle C was born on Nov. 27, before a snowstorm day. I
got in the hospital on a warm (around 10°C) day, to get out in a snowstorm
day, around -4°C, followed by a very cold Canadian winter. I took Mlle C out
in a stroller, completely blocked from the wind, dressing her in a
polar-type of winter clothing, with a scarf loosely up over her nose, which
can go below 30°C (-22°F)... and we had that kind of winter.

On a "warm" day, i.e. over -15°C (5°F), I'd take walks up to two hours,
checking on her every now and then. If it got colder, I'd limit myself to
30-45 minutes.

In fact, our mothers used to make us sleep outside on sunny winter days.
There used to be a belief that cold weather would be good for us. I don't
know if it's true and anyway I'd never let my kid sleep outside on the
balcony nowadays, but I've never heard of a baby dying or suffering because
of it!

You should be fine, and no need to wait 2 weeks.
--
Isabelle
Mlle C 2004-11-27

Old August 23rd 06, 12:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Yiddishkeit

Anna.Nicole.m wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone has had a baby around October. I'm due
October 23 and i wanted to know about taking the baby out in winter.

I had #1 on Oct 17th 2000.

My husband and I typically go out for walks with our dogs frequently in

the winter. Our average temp is between 30-40. Has anyone had
experience with taking their babies out in this weather to know when it

is ok to have them out, and for how long?

I live iN canada where it is pretty cold though where I live is not in
the snowbelt so its not terribly cold, but cold enough IMHO. we don't
have a car and walk everywhere. My pediatrcian told me as long as they
are dressed appropriately for the weather its ok to take them out,
unless there is a weather advisory such as a wind chillwarning, as kids
can get frostbite rather quicklly so you need to be careful, and then
in that case, if you MUST go out, its ok to just dart in and out of a
car to run in some place very quickly. As long as there is no
windchill warning, and they are wearing hat, snow suit, etc. I think
its fine.

We have a pram stoller with a boot and we will get one of those winter
sack things, but is that enough?

I think so, as long as they are wearing hat/snow suit.