A devious plot...

Old May 28th 04, 08:26 AM
Werebat

Default A devious plot...

I was thinking today.

This will be easier to follow if you know my story.

Nutshell version: My ex and I split when our son was about 6 months old.
We agreed in mediation to joint physical and legal custody. We share
time with him 50/50 (although this is complicated a bit as my parents
have him one day a week).

My ex got on welfare, which introduced the State into the situation. CSE
pulled me into court and demanded the maximum amount of CS they could,
about three times what we had agreed to in the original divorce. They
did some flim-flam type CSE math tricks to "prove" that this was
"reasonable". For example, the time my parents had him counted as time
my ex had him... 30% of his total time was taken from me and given to
her because "that's what most NCPs have their kids for anyway", etc. It
was made clear to both of us that this is likely what the judge would
agree to.

My ex agreed to drop welfare and settle on a mutually agreed upon amount
of money, this being a bit higher than 50% of the amount quoted by CSE
(she knew she had much more leverage at that point). I still have to pay
her about $200 above and beyond that amount to help her "repay" loans
what she will never repay because she is on disability and the bank can't
get blood from a stone. We both know that if I stop these payments then
she can just get back on welfare and let CSE do its dirty work (they'll
end up forcing me to pay about the same amount anyway).

I was wondering -- what would happen if *I* were to get on welfare?

She's off it now, so the door is open to me, or would be if I otherwise
fit the requirements. Note that I am also the custodial parent! If I
got on welfare we would have a situation where CSE would step in to...
to do what? To force HER to pay ME? It seems to me that that's exactly
what they would do. She does have SOMETHING to take, in the form of her
disability checks (about $600 per month). Would they just do an
about-face like that and come after her? It seems like it would be a
battle between greed and sexism. While the family court judges may be
primarily sexist, it seems to me that CSE is mainly motivated by greed.
Who would win out in this scenario?

Now the tricky part. What if I got on welfare while still having a job?
Yes, that's welfare fraud, but my ex committed welfare fraud for over a
year and didn't get so much as a slap on the wrist for it. What would
happen if I applied for welfare, won it, set things in motion for CSE to
flip-flop and reverse my obligation to a payment that my ex had to make
to me?

Of course eventually I'd be found out and have to reimburse welfare. Oh
no. I'd just save the extra money from the start and repay them
promptly.

What do you think?

- Ron ^*^
Old May 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Joe_College

In what state do you and your ex live?

Old May 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Joe_College

In what state do you and your ex live?

Old May 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Joe_College

In what state do you and your ex live?

Old May 28th 04, 03:39 PM
Tiffany

"Werebat" wrote in message ...
[...]

I think if you put this much energy and effort in to your work/career, you
might end up being a millionaire.

Why do you want to resort to the bad behavior your dislike in your ex? I
only suggest taking the high road and not doing things you know are illegal.
Chances are they won't go after her very hard for any support anyways. You
already know the system isn't for the man.

Old May 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Joe_College

Default Just pay the support...

What's going to happen (at the LEAST) is once you go on welfare and use
that child as the dependent, a case will open with DCSE (IF you meet
eligibility requirement and get approved) and they will see that the child
is active on another case. They are supposed to close the existing case.
They may call the mother and find out WHEN the child left her custody so
that the accounting will be correct. She will tell them that you are a
lying fool, the child never left her custody. If you had gotten approved,
you will be caught up in welfare fraud, as you already suspected. As far
as you getting welfare and working, you may not meet the eligibility
requirements, but if you do, you could get caught. If you already believe
you will get caught (just because you are a man) then why walk through
hell with gasoline underwear? Two wrongs don't make a right and sure
doesn't pay little Werebat Jr's Child Support. If you are thinking about
getting welfare some other way, it won't stop your child support from
charging, it just stops DCSE from enforcing it. Once you're off welfare,
you'll have a nice debt to pay. PLAY NOW, SUFFER LATER...