Britax Roundabout car seats are legal in Canada

Old August 6th 03, 11:47 PM
Elizabeth A

Default Britax Roundabout car seats are legal in Canada

Hi,

I've seen several recent newsgroup postings stating that the Britax
Roundabout car seat is not approved in Canada. However, it looks like
it is, according to this advisory on the government's web site:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/child...4/d200304e.htm

Sure, it's still hard to find, and expensive, but at least it's legal. :-)

- EJA

Old August 7th 03, 04:07 PM
Cheryl M. \(ChatBrat\)

Britax Roundabouts (the non-LATCH version) were legally sold in Canada prior
to (I believe) January of this year. It's the new Britax products that have
yet to pass regulations. I have one of the non LATCH seats with a huge
Transport Canada sticker on its side. However, recently a friend of mine
tried to get one for her new vehicle and learned that no Britax products
were available in Canada at this time. If you have a Britax and it doesn't
have the Transport Canada sticker, you can be charged heavily and suffer
demerit points on your driver's license if caught using a Britax from
another country (that is, if you live in Canada - visiting is another
story).

They expect to be available by the Fall, says one baby store source.

theother Cheryl

Old August 13th 03, 09:13 PM
Elizabeth A

Cheryl M. (ChatBrat) wrote:

Britax Roundabouts (the non-LATCH version) were legally sold in Canada prior
to (I believe) January of this year. It's the new Britax products that have
yet to pass regulations.

They expect to be available by the Fall, says one baby store source.

Thanks for clarifying. I'd heard that the older Roundabout seats
weren't approved either, but this makes more sense. Sounds like they
should be available again soon.

BTW, does anyone know what happens to visitors from the U.S. or Europe
who use an unapproved-in-Canada carseat? Or a model that's approved,
but lacks the sticker on the seat itself?

(In my experience, if Transport is anything like Customs & Immigration,
they're generally much more concerned with what Canadians are up to.)

- EJA