Hypothyroid and luteal phase (m/c ment.)

Old May 21st 04, 04:15 PM
DL

Default Hypothyroid and luteal phase (m/c ment.)

Does anyone know from experience any changes to luteal phase in going
from untreated hypothyroid to treated? I have been under treatment
for about 2 months now, already with apparent changes in cycle (I have
a feeling I was anovulatory before, cycle time is down from 45 to
32-ish days, etc.) My original TSH was 13, last check was 4.1, which
was 3 weeks before trying for the first month (dosage adjustment as
well, so I assume I was lower than 4.1 when TTC, but don't know by how
much).

We have confirmed we just suffered an early m/c (5 weeks 2 days) after
our first month of trying. I just started charting to see if my
luteal phase is too short, but was wondering if any hypo patients saw
their luteal phase change from treatment and how long it took to level
out if that was the case.

I am taking Levoxyl alternating 50mcg one day 75 the next (75 all days
lead to palpitations), and feel I am doing very well on the treatment
otherwise.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

DS
Old May 21st 04, 04:40 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:15:21 -0700, DL wrote:

Does anyone know from experience any changes to luteal phase in going
from untreated hypothyroid to treated?

I'm sorry to hear about your m/c.

I couldn't answer your question, as I have hyperthyroidism and that has
been stable since I started charting. However, I did read a lot about
this, and one thing that I picked up is that even though your TSH may be
well within normal, that is not enough for succesfull conception in some
women and it may need to be lower than you are now. You can find info on
this on the sites thryoid.about.com and pregnancy.about.com.

Then again, it may just be plain bad luck this first time around, you may
never know for sure.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 22nd 04, 11:08 AM
sqyre

hi I have hypothyroidism, I am 26 and have been on medication since 1998.
It took a while for my medication to level out(approx 3 months) i take
thyroxine 225micrograms. I am also 34 weeks pregnant and had no problems
falling. I had been on the pill since I was 14 with no breaks and i fell 4
months after i last took it. From what i was told the medication is just
replacing what the body is not producing. The doctors told me i should have
no dramas and i didnt.
om...

Old May 31st 04, 08:27 PM
sidha

Hi "DL"
I'm not sure its such a great idea to alternate dosages as the body might
have a hard time leveling out. It took me months to find the right dose but
I needed to stay on one dose for a least 6 weeks to get a solid sense of
that doses usefulness to me. I also had lots of palpitations and mood
swings and depression during leveling out process. I think alternating
doses might keep the body in a hormonally confused state. I would suggest
staying on 50 mcg for 6 weeks and then get re-tested and if TSH is greater
than 2 and you still feel hypo upping the dosage to 60 mcg and redo the
process. I believe thyroid deficiency effects all the hormones and when the
thyroid stabilizes so will many other bodily processes. Stress reduction is
important.
All the best
sidha
om...

Old May 31st 04, 08:37 PM
Dagny

"sidha" wrote in message
[...]

No that's not true because of the extremely long half-life of T4. What
she's doing with alternating doses is fine.

Old May 31st 04, 11:35 PM
sqyre

hi i am 35 weeks pregnant now and i have been alternating my dose the entire
time, and for some months before.
"j" wrote in message
Yes I agree alternating doses is absolutely fine I have been doing it for
years.

Ruth
"Dagny" wrote in message
. ..