Stem Cells good idea?

Old May 29th 04, 08:07 PM
DShadford

Default Stem Cells good idea?

Hi, My wife is 10 weak pregnant and I'm new to this groupe hears the
question.

I've seen a couple of documenties on TV about keeping the babies Stem cells,
at the time my wife wasn't pregnant so I didn't realy listen to the TV, but
now I'm curiouse, should we keep the stems cells, is it expensive, or is it
all a bunch of hog wash??

Thank you
David

Old May 29th 04, 10:28 PM
Crystal Dreamer

DShadford wrote:
Hi, My wife is 10 weak pregnant and I'm new to this groupe hears the
question.

I've seen a couple of documenties on TV about keeping the babies Stem
cells, at the time my wife wasn't pregnant so I didn't realy listen
to the TV, but now I'm curiouse, should we keep the stems cells, is
it expensive, or is it all a bunch of hog wash??

Thank you
David

Check out http://www.lifebankusa.com and http://www.cordbloodbank.com/
There is a lot of good information on their website, and they'll send you
information as well. It can get a little pricey, but if you can afford it,
it may do your child wonders some day if he or she becomes ill. If you
can't bank the stem cells, you can always donate them!

Old May 30th 04, 03:49 PM
M Wayne

Also try: http://www.parentsguidecordblood.com/
It gives good impartial information about the various cord blood bank
companies. We are banking our son's cord blood when he's born this summer -
it's expensive, but we see it as a worthwhile investment. Hopefully we won't
ever need to use it, but if we do, we'll be glad we've got it. It's
definitely not hogwash

Old June 1st 04, 07:27 AM
zolw

In a perfect word, I would keep the "cord blood" (which to me is the
same as stem cells) ... BUT it is damn expensive & I have not found any
significant proof that it is used to save the child's life.

My parents never kept my cord blood & I sure turned out alright. My
husband & I can't afford that much money to store the cord blood. We are
willing to donate ours + placenta for research etc. I mean, if we can't
do anything with it, then at least scientists can

Please if you do find anything supporting saving the cord blood
(supported scientifically) then let me know

Mona
due 07-31-04

Old June 1st 04, 12:21 PM
Hillary Israeli

In BlVuc.28272$4A6.25935@attbi_s52,
zolw wrote:

*In a perfect word, I would keep the "cord blood" (which to me is the
*same as stem cells) ... BUT it is damn expensive & I have not found any
*significant proof that it is used to save the child's life.

No one seems to be saying it is used to save the child's life. Lots of
companies seem to be saying that potentially, it COULD be used to save a
child's life, if some very rare circumstances occur, or if research allows
for a wider application of stem cells in the future. FWIW.