what to pack???

Old June 3rd 04, 01:33 PM
Alissa

Default what to pack???

Ok here is my list....since I'm having a c/s I don't need stuff for the
labour room...
clothes for daytime
nightwear, underwear etc etc..
pads (How many??)
breast pads? Didn't use a single one last time, never leaked in 5 whole mths
clothes and blanket for baby to come home in
breast pump/ milton bucket
pen/paper/ announcement cards to fill in,
toiletries/ hair dryer?
prezzie for DD from new baby
chocolates for staff for thank you gift....
car seat in and ready for baby
camera and spare batteries, mobile phone and address book

anything else?????I better get organised 4 days to go....
Alissa

Old June 3rd 04, 01:54 PM
Donna

"Alissa" wrote in message
Ok here is my list....since I'm having a c/s I don't need stuff for the

pads (How many??)

Twice as many as you think you could possibly use.

breast pads? Didn't use a single one last time, never leaked in 5 whole

mths

Bring a box. You probably won't need them (your milk takes a while to come
in, as I'm sure you know) but bringing a box will *guarantee* that you won't
need them.

clothes and blanket for baby to come home in
breast pump/ milton bucket

Don't know what a milton bucket is, but I don't think you are going to need
the breast pump for a while yet.

pen/paper/ announcement cards to fill in,

And a roll of stamps, so that you can mail them out as soon as you write
them

toiletries/ hair dryer?

I wouldn't bother with the hair dryer. Who cares what your hair looks like
at this time? It's just one more thing to lug.

prezzie for DD from new baby
chocolates for staff for thank you gift....
car seat in and ready for baby
camera and spare batteries, mobile phone and address book

anything else?

Some suggestions:

reading material
lansinoh/lanolin cream for your nipples
Your own pillow in a non-white pillowcase

That's all I can think of offhand. Sounds like you are almost ready! I'm
envious. I can't wait to be done with pregnancy.

Donna

Old June 3rd 04, 02:07 PM
libbymom04

The hospital should provide you with pads. They did me. In my experience I
didn't need clothes for daytime, you aren't going to feel like changing
clothes often, much less standing up period. I would just bring a couple
pair of lose fitting pj's or nightgown's with a housecoat.

Old June 3rd 04, 02:17 PM
Donna

"libbymom04" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
The hospital should provide you with pads. They did me.

Me too, but the OP is posting from Down Under, I think. From what I've
learned here, USAian hospitals provide a lot of supplies that are not the
norm elsewhere.

Donna

Old June 3rd 04, 04:27 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Donna wrote:

Don't know what a milton bucket is, but I don't think you are going to need
the breast pump for a while yet.

I was pumping in the surgical recovery room (I had sterilized my Isis
and put it in a clean ziploc bag to bring into the surgical theatre with
me) because the hospital policy would not bring the baby to me there.
It was a couple of hours before I could start to nurse her. I pumped a
bit of colostrum on the off chance that if she would need a supplement,
it would be my colostrum not formula.

lansinoh/lanolin cream for your nipples

Definitely. Isabella nursed for 20 hours out of the 1st 24 hours of her
life! Ouch, ouch, ouch. I also asked the nurses for cold packs to put
on my nipples. Ahhhh, relief. I bought some for home use.

I would also pack a bag of non-perishable food items that you can snack
on in the hospital. They never give you enough to eat and usually it
isn't all that tasty.

Is DH going to be rooming in as well? Make sure that he has his bag
packed too.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old June 3rd 04, 04:51 PM
Jill

I took a journal and pen, baby clothes, clothes for me to change into to
wear home or on my second day (for a c, comfy clothes that won't bother your
stomach!), socks......I took a bag of pads but just used the hospital
ones....extra underwear....car seat, camera batteries, and I am SO glad I
took a couple fleece baby blankets and a few onesies of our own to dress the
baby in during her stay.

The hospital used Pampers Swaddlers for newborns but if you have a
preference for wipes and diapers may want to carry some of those or anything
else to make the baby comfy. I didn't like the hospital's baby wipes.

Maybe slip yourself some snacks for after delivery and you get the ok to
eat....change for vending machines....cell phone and charger.

And maybe a book or magazine? A baby book? I had the hospital take my
journal of Rachel's birth story I was working on, and put her footprints
inside the front cover. I'm glad I did that!

Here is a cauction- I took doses of my prescription meds, and the hosptial
took them away from me and made me get new doses dispensed from their
pharmacy. If you are taking any prescription you may just want to NOT tell
them. It was pointless but they wanted all meds to be dispensed by them,
when I had been on Paxil for some time and had no reason not to just take my
usual dose..the hospital pharmacy did not have my dose in stock and I had
to take 3 smaller pills to add up to the dose instead of taking one of mine
and it was aggravating. Paxil was fine to take, so they didn't need to
intervene, and Paxil isn;t something you can just stop cold so they couldn't
tell me not to take it. etc. Just a thought. (I am now off Paxil and feeling
fine!)

Jill

Old June 3rd 04, 06:03 PM
Tracey

"Alissa" wrote in message
pads (How many??)

Doesn't the hospital provide these?

breast pads? Didn't use a single one last time, never leaked in 5 whole

mths
I barely ever used any. Honestly, I'd only bring a couple pairs of
disposable ones, they don't take up any room anyway, so if you don't use
them no big deal

breast pump/ milton bucket

I wouldn't bother bringing a breastpump to the hospital, baby should be at
the breast as much as possible. If you get into a medical situation where
you really NEED a breastpump, then you can send DH home for it.
I don't know what a 'milton bucket' is, so I can't comment about that.

toiletries/ hair dryer?

I would only bring the most basic and bare necessity things: toothbrush,
toothpaste, deodorant, comb or brush. I wouldn't bother with hair dryer.

chocolates for staff for thank you gift....
I never did that, but it is a thoughtful gesture

car seat in and ready for baby

this is the most important thing on the list :-)

camera and spare batteries, mobile phone and address book

In all the hospitals here in the US, mobile phone use is not allowed: it
interferes with a lot of the machinery and equipment. You might want to
double check to see if it is allowed there.

anything else?????I better get organised 4 days to go....

I brought my own pillow and quilt, and the boppy pillow to help with
nursing.

Tracey

Old June 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
Jill

"Tracey" wrote chocolates for staff for thank you
gift....
I never did that, but it is a thoughtful gesture

I was going to send a gift to the midwives, but they ended up not delivering
my baby or the aftercare (the OB did since I was stitched) etc....I would
STILL have given them a gift for the things they DID do and the appointments
before delivery, but...........the way they went on about "my anxiety" when
I was down and out in labor and especially the way they did over pain
management telling me I wasn't hurting that bad it was my "anxiety because I
am on Paxil so must have it bad" etc, and then afterwards when I had bad
after[ains where my muscles had torn/been cut, they did the same way over
pain telling me they weren't convinced I needed pain medication that it
largely must be my "anxiety"...they're not getting sh*t from me now! My
husband and my dad both would kick me if they found out I gave them a gift
of appreciation, because seeing me in so much pain was hard on them both and
they couldn't MAKE the midwives do differently while I was in
labor...anyway, I digress, this is in the past.....I think it is VERY nice
to give a gift to those who care for you and deliver your child, and I
always had planned to do it. It was practically in my birth plan along with
having the picture of the doctor holding my baby ....neither happened for
me, I never got any picture of midwife OR the ob holding my baby ! They
didn't pose for one. well......pffft.

Old June 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
Alissa

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message news:XrHvc.656377$oR5.427757@pd7tw3no...
Donna wrote:

[...]

yeah I pumped when I was in hospital with DD because she didn't ever

attach!
DH will be at work then minding DD so no need to pack for him...
Alissa