Fathers & toilet/changing facilities

Old June 4th 04, 05:52 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default Fathers & toilet/changing facilities

In ,
Amy wrote:

*DH came up with a really good question the other day. As someone who will no
*doubt be a hands-on Dad, what is he supposed to do if he is in a public
*place by himself and our daughter needs to go to the toilet? Entrust her to
*some strange woman? Take her into a grotty mens' loo?

Yeah, take her into the grotty mens' loo, what else??
I mean, around here, most of the mens' rooms aren't that grotty, but if we
go into the city, yep, grottiness abounds . And we DO have a good number
of "family" bathrooms at local malls and such, but not everyplace has
them. You just do what you have to do. Certainly I take my son (he'll be 4
in September) into the womens' rooms when we're out and about and I don't
think twice about it.

*Changing is an issue in itself. I can't think of any unisex baby changing
*facilities in town. We have a womens' rest room, which has toilet facilities
*for women with a large room at the front suitable for changing or feeding a
*baby, but only toilets for men and there is a bold sign in front of the
*restrooms stating that the facilities are for women/children only and mens'
*toilets are around the side.

Oh, that's odd. It says women/children can go in one, and men in another?
Not men/children??? I think they just need to change the signs to read
women/children and men/children, and they'll be all set . Either that,
or they need to change the signs to read men/women/children, and men only

Old June 4th 04, 05:53 PM
Kazh

Ask him to use the disabled toilet if there are no facilities in the =
men's. I've noticed the UK is starting to et better with universal =
''parent and baby'' rooms as opposed to ''mother and baby''. A lot of =
places still need a push in the right direct, but chains like McDonalds =
have changing facilities in the disabled toilets so the loo is always on =
the ground floor. My hubbie's fav KFC have toilets, down 2 flights of =
stairs and no baby changing, so I lay baby on a mat on the seat and get =
on with it. To me baby comes first, if they can't provide a suitable =
place to change baby then I improvise.

"Amy" wrote in message =
DH came up with a really good question the other day. As someone who =
will no
doubt be a hands-on Dad, what is he supposed to do if he is in a public
place by himself and our daughter needs to go to the toilet? Entrust her =
some strange woman? Take her into a grotty mens' loo?
Changing is an issue in itself. I can't think of any unisex baby =
changing
facilities in town. We have a womens' rest room, which has toilet =
facilities
for women with a large room at the front suitable for changing or =
feeding a
baby, but only toilets for men and there is a bold sign in front of the
restrooms stating that the facilities are for women/children only and =
mens'
toilets are around the side. This seems profoundly sexist and unfair to =
me
:-/
I'm tempted to write to our council about the problem. I know they need =
ensure that a restroom for children is free of paedophiles etc, but why =
ban
a father with his children? What do the solo Dads out there do?

Old June 4th 04, 05:59 PM
Denise Anderson

"Amy" wrote in message
DH came up with a really good question the other day. As someone who will

no
doubt be a hands-on Dad, what is he supposed to do if he is in a public
place by himself and our daughter needs to go to the toilet? Entrust her

some strange woman? Take her into a grotty mens' loo?

My husband takes our daughter's into men's restrooms. If he has all 3
girls, he'll wait outside the women's restroom with the 2 youngest and send
the 5 year old into the women's restroom by herself. Changing's never been
an issue. We do it wherever... strollers are great for changing where
there's no changing facilities.

Denise

Old June 4th 04, 06:22 PM
Nikki

Kazh wrote:
Ask him to use the disabled toilet if there are no facilities in the
men's.

Second time I've seen this suggestion :-) I'm assuming that there are
places that have separate bathrooms that are accessible? I've never seen
that. We have accessible stalls within the men's bathroom and also within
the women's bathroom. A person with a wheelchair would still have to use
the same gender specific bathroom.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old June 4th 04, 06:56 PM
Jacqui

Nikki wibbled
Kazh wrote:
Ask him to use the disabled toilet if there are no facilities in
the men's.

Second time I've seen this suggestion :-) I'm assuming that there
are places that have separate bathrooms that are accessible? I've
never seen that. We have accessible stalls within the men's
bathroom and also within the women's bathroom. A person with a
wheelchair would still have to use the same gender specific
bathroom.

Certainly in the UK it's common to have three sets: men, women,
disabled. The gender-specific ones are usually way too small to get
a wheelchair (or a pushchair) into. It's not like there's usually a
queue for the disabled toilet, so no big problem with anyone
(qualified) using it. I use them when I need to - partially because
of the rails which I find handy when my back is playing up,
partially because I can get the pushchair in there with me. I have
not used a regular public toilet in 10 months if I'm out with T on
my own (obviously if there's someone with me they watch the baby
while I go), I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him or the
pushchair in the public part in most places.

Jac
Old June 4th 04, 06:56 PM
Nan

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:23:53 +1200, "Amy"
wrote:

DH came up with a really good question the other day. As someone who will no
doubt be a hands-on Dad, what is he supposed to do if he is in a public
place by himself and our daughter needs to go to the toilet? Entrust her to
some strange woman? Take her into a grotty mens' loo?
Changing is an issue in itself. I can't think of any unisex baby changing
facilities in town. We have a womens' rest room, which has toilet facilities
for women with a large room at the front suitable for changing or feeding a
baby, but only toilets for men and there is a bold sign in front of the
restrooms stating that the facilities are for women/children only and mens'
toilets are around the side. This seems profoundly sexist and unfair to me
:-/
I'm tempted to write to our council about the problem. I know they need to
ensure that a restroom for children is free of paedophiles etc, but why ban
a father with his children? What do the solo Dads out there do?

My dh takes my 4 year old in the men's room with him.
Most men's rooms also have a changing station, so he could change the
2 month old if he needed to.

Nan

Old June 4th 04, 07:04 PM
Nikki

Jacqui wrote:

Certainly in the UK it's common to have three sets: men, women,
disabled. The gender-specific ones are usually way too small to get
a wheelchair (or a pushchair) into. It's not like there's usually a
queue for the disabled toilet, so no big problem with anyone
(qualified) using it.

I'm in the US. I'm not sure if it is the same all over or not. The
bathrooms are generally large and have several stalls per bathroom, one of
the stalls is extra big and has rails and occasionally a higher toilet. You
can use those to of course and I think most people with strollers or kids do
if they are open. The stalls are separated by metal partitions. The
regular stalls are small.

In small places, like small gas stations, there is just one toilet
bathrooms, usually large enough to be accessable so there are still only
two.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old June 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Alissa

"Amy" wrote in message
[...]

Most places I go have parents rooms, if not I just change her in the pram,

I;I've also been known to use the boot of the car, the grass,where ever I
can whip the nappy off fast and replace it with a new one if it's just wet.
When I need to use the toilet I use the disabled because it's the only place
in my local shopping centre that fits the pram in and there is no way I'm
leaving her outside in a public toilet while I go and the parents room
doesn't have toilets only change tables and lounges to sit and feed
babies.As for when she needs to go with her dad I guess he will just take
her to the men's once she is toilet trained.
Alissa

Old June 5th 04, 02:12 AM
Jennifer and Robert Howe

here we have family bathrooms that way it doesn't matter who takes the child
into the bathroom.

Jennifer
ariana 8/17/03
home.earthlink.net/~soalus

Old June 5th 04, 04:57 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Amy wrote:

facilities in town. We have a womens' rest room, which has toilet facilities
for women with a large room at the front suitable for changing or feeding a
baby, but only toilets for men and there is a bold sign in front of the
restrooms stating that the facilities are for women/children only and mens'
toilets are around the side. This seems profoundly sexist and unfair to me

I see this kind of thing all over the place and it really bugs me. For
us, I just figure we won't frequent any places that don't have half
decent facilities.

Babyforums.co.uk For Mothers and Fathers BabyForums Pregnancy 0 January 6th 04 01:34 AM
Fathers and Children toto General 11 December 8th 03 03:05 AM
BRAND NEW DAD LAUNCHES WEB SITE FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS BrandNewDad.com Pregnancy 0 September 5th 03 01:57 AM
Every Fathers Nightmare - David HAIRLIP Moore Rich General 0 August 25th 03 05:02 PM