To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate; That is My Question.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:49 AM
nic

Default To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate; That is My Question.

Where is John ?
And or Robert I think it is ?

They always have lots of information about vaccines.

Nic
"Weezie" wrote in message
om...
Hello Everybody!

My name is Luiza, aka Weezie. I'm new to this group but I have been
reading your posts for almost 3 months now, ever since Shelly was
born. I'm sorry if this seems a little off-topic, but I've kind of
gotten used to reading your advice on all things bf'ing and other baby
concerns I over-react to. I know I should probably post this on
sci.med.health, but I'd rather get input from moms who have recently
made the vaccine decision instead of getting bombarded by a couple of
men who are either admanantly opposed to them or adamantly for them.
I'm leaning towards not vaccinating Shelly because I haven't found any
information that has convinced me it is more helpful than harmful. In
fact, it seems like they can do more harm than good from what I've
been finding online. I also know a couple who has raised a very
healthy girl without any vaccinations. I think she's nine now.

I feel like pretty much everyone gets them done without questions
asked, so I don't know how my family/society will react to my probable
decision. All I know is that my instincts are telling me not to do it.

So, have you moms started your infants on vaccines, or not? And what
convinced you either way? Thank you so much for your answers.

BTW... I would love to share some pictures of Shelly with you guys.
Does anyone have any tips on how to share pics over the net?

Thanks again all.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
michele

IMO, people not asking questions about side effects of or possible reactions
to treatment and/or meds they receive is a big problem in and of itself. We
all need to take an active role in the healthcare of ourselves and our
children. That includes asking any and all questions you may have.
om...

Old November 24th 04, 12:34 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

We decided to go ahead and vaccinate because the diseases that most
vaccines protect against are FAR scarier than the low risk of serious
side effects from the vaccines. I recommend that you discuss the
potential side effects of vaccines vs. the potential consequences of
each disease with your pediatrician. Also look at the CDC web site for
information (www.cdc.gov).

Finally, be aware that some of the "side effects" of vaccines, such as
autism being caused by the MMR, have been debunked as pure mythology.

Yes, there can be serious side effects just from the vaccination. But
these are rare. You've got to decide which risks you're willing to
take.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old November 24th 04, 12:48 AM
teacherDeb

"michele" wrote in message ...
IMO, people not asking questions about side effects of or possible reactions
to treatment and/or meds they receive is a big problem in and of itself. We
all need to take an active role in the healthcare of ourselves and our
children. That includes asking any and all questions you may have.

This may be a bit off-topic, but did any of you (or those you know)
who chose not to vaccinate have any trouble enrolling your children in
school? Isn't there a proof of vaccination requirement fo rmany
school districts, and was there a way around it if you chose not to
vaccinate?

Just curious!

Deb
Old November 24th 04, 05:42 AM
Techgirl4Hire

In Manitoba Canada it would be very illegal to deny school access. I believe
in all of Canada as well. It's in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms. This
is blatant discrimination! Some ppl tried to scare me with that load of bull
too but I checked it out. Don't worry about school. (If you are in Canada.)

Angela

"teacherDeb" wrote in message
om...

Old November 24th 04, 09:29 AM
nic

"michele" wrote in message

IMO, people not asking questions about side effects of or possible

reactions
to treatment and/or meds they receive is a big problem in and of itself.

We
all need to take an active role in the healthcare of ourselves and our
children. That includes asking any and all questions you may have.

This may be a bit off-topic, but did any of you (or those you know)
who chose not to vaccinate have any trouble enrolling your children in
school? Isn't there a proof of vaccination requirement fo rmany
school districts, and was there a way around it if you chose not to
vaccinate?

Just curious!

One of my children is semi vaxed but we stopped after a few reactions and
she will recieve no more.
My other child has had no vaccines at all. (and is much healther compared to
other children)

No problems here with daycares or kindergartens.
They are not allowed to not accept us as that is a form of discrimination
and that isn't allowed.
If they didn't accept us, I could challange them to prove my child is a
higher risk then a immunisied child.

For proof I just showed a objector form (also signed by doctor) saying I
object to partaking of vaccines.
Depending on what state you are in you can print one off from online and
then take to your doctor or health nurse to sign.

Nic

Deb

Old November 24th 04, 11:50 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"nic" www.schoolfriends.com.au wrote:

No problems here with daycares or kindergartens.
They are not allowed to not accept us as that is a form of discrimination
and that isn't allowed.

What will happen, however, is that if there is an outbreak of a notifiable
disease that your child has not been immunised against, you will be asked to
keep your child away from day care. This works both ways -- if your child is
carrying the disease, it won't be passed to the other children, and if another
child at the daycare is carrying it, your unimmunised child is kept away from
them. The wrinkle in this is that most notifiable diseases have a nice long
incubation period, during which they will spread anyway.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old November 24th 04, 01:56 PM
john

"Chookie" wrote in message

What will happen, however, is that if there is an outbreak of a notifiable
disease that your child has not been immunised against, you will be asked

keep your child away from day care.

Like what? the last measles outbreak was--I can't remember, and most of
them were probably vaccinated

Old November 24th 04, 02:08 PM
Mark Probert

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

We decided to go ahead and vaccinate because the diseases that most
vaccines protect against are FAR scarier than the low risk of serious
side effects from the vaccines. I recommend that you discuss the
potential side effects of vaccines vs. the potential consequences of
each disease with your pediatrician. Also look at the CDC web site for
information (www.cdc.gov).

Finally, be aware that some of the "side effects" of vaccines, such as
autism being caused by the MMR, have been debunked as pure mythology.

Yes, there can be serious side effects just from the vaccination. But
these are rare. You've got to decide which risks you're willing to
take.

My two cents,

You undervalue yourself.

--Beth Kevles

http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the

milk-allergic

like me to reply.

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane Foster Parents 3 December 8th 03 11:53 PM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Foster Parents 16 December 7th 03 04:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM