10 months, constantly hungry, won't eat

Old January 3rd 07, 08:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

Default 10 months, constantly hungry, won't eat

Hi all,

My 10 month old DD eats very little solids: nothing at all at breakfast, and
just picks at things for lunch and dinner. This in itself doesn't bother me,
but when we started her on solids at 6 months she ate rather more than she
does now. The nurse suggests breastfeeding her less so she's hungry, but I
find if she's hungry she won't even open her mouth for food. She's not
really constantly hungry, but she does seem to nurse if anything more than
she did at 6 months.

Should I be worried? Should I do anything? Or should I just wait and she'll
eventually start to eat?

Thanks,
Liz

Old January 3rd 07, 10:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Liz wrote:

Hi all,

My 10 month old DD eats very little solids: nothing at all at breakfast, and
just picks at things for lunch and dinner. This in itself doesn't bother me,
but when we started her on solids at 6 months she ate rather more than she
does now. The nurse suggests breastfeeding her less so she's hungry, but I
find if she's hungry she won't even open her mouth for food. She's not
really constantly hungry, but she does seem to nurse if anything more than
she did at 6 months.

Should I be worried? Should I do anything? Or should I just wait and she'll
eventually start to eat?

For the first 12 months, breastmilk or formula should
be the primary food, all else is just for practice.
For now, just keep nursing her as much as possible.

-- Anita --
Old January 3rd 07, 12:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
ink.net...
Liz wrote:

Hi all,

My 10 month old DD eats very little solids: nothing at all at breakfast,
and just picks at things for lunch and dinner. This in itself doesn't
bother me, but when we started her on solids at 6 months she ate rather
more than she does now. The nurse suggests breastfeeding her less so
she's hungry, but I find if she's hungry she won't even open her mouth
for food. She's not really constantly hungry, but she does seem to nurse
if anything more than she did at 6 months.

Should I be worried? Should I do anything? Or should I just wait and
she'll eventually start to eat?

For the first 12 months, breastmilk or formula should
be the primary food, all else is just for practice.
For now, just keep nursing her as much as possible.

-- Anita --

Well, yes, I know, but I was just concerned that her solids intake is
decreasing, when I would have thought it would be increasing by now. Is this
likely to change at around 12 months?

Liz

Old January 3rd 07, 12:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

It's likely to change once breastmilk isn't given at every peep. Giving
solids first after a year and then breastmilk is what they recommend, but I
did it the other way because I wean at a year.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 3rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2007-01-03 15:44:42 +0800, "Liz" said:

Hi all,

My 10 month old DD eats very little solids: nothing at all at
breakfast, and just picks at things for lunch and dinner. This in
itself doesn't bother me, but when we started her on solids at 6 months
she ate rather more than she does now. The nurse suggests breastfeeding
her less so she's hungry, but I find if she's hungry she won't even
open her mouth for food. She's not really constantly hungry, but she
does seem to nurse if anything more than she did at 6 months.

Should I be worried? Should I do anything? Or should I just wait and
she'll eventually start to eat?

Thanks,
Liz

My son was exactly the same. By 15 months it hadn't changed much, so I
decided to night wean him. He ate more during the day then, and slept
better at night, and is still breastfeeding at 19 months somewhere
between 3 and 6 times in 24 hours.

Milk should be offered first until 9 months I was told, but I still
lean towards the 12 months. After 12 months, try the other way around.
Some babies know you'll BF them eventually though, and might just hold
off the food until they get the milk

As long as there's no weightloss, then she's getting enough of the best
nutrients from breast milk anyway. Just keep offering at the usual
times, sometimes with some distraction to sneak a spoonfull of
something in. But no pressure - don't make an issue for her about food.

Good luck!

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old January 3rd 07, 03:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mommy Squirrel

You're doing fine. She is probably eating more than you realize and I
had a similar thing happen. I think when solids are introduced the
kids are like - wow this is fun, give me more. But their little bodies
are really good at regulating what they need. And they are young
enough to listen to it.
No worries, as long as weight is maintained.

Old January 4th 07, 05:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Liz" wrote in message
Hi all,

My 10 month old DD eats very little solids: nothing at all at breakfast,
and just picks at things for lunch and dinner. This in itself doesn't
bother me, but when we started her on solids at 6 months she ate rather
more than she does now. The nurse suggests breastfeeding her less so she's
hungry, but I find if she's hungry she won't even open her mouth for food.
She's not really constantly hungry, but she does seem to nurse if anything
more than she did at 6 months.

Should I be worried? Should I do anything? Or should I just wait and
she'll eventually start to eat?

My first son was a little like that only he didn't start solids at all until
around 10mos. He absolutely threw a fit and refused any and all solids if
he didn't get to nurse first if that is what he wanted. So I nursed. He
started getting a bit better around 14mos and I weaned him at 20mos. Since
you are seeing an actual decrease, it could be related to teething. My
second always decreased his solids when teeth were close to popping or if he
had a little cold.

Bottom line - he was fine. He's 7yo now and no residuals, lol.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99