Little Dude got born

Old March 25th 08, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Akuvikate

Default Little Dude got born

Short version: Little Dude was born on March 19 at 8:53am. He weighed
9lb 12oz and was three and a half weeks before his due date, making
him a little bit premature. He's doing very well now, but is stuck in
the NICU for a few more days because the first day or two he did some
dumb preemie stuff (like forgetting to breathe when he was eating).
He's had an insanely comprehensive workup and so far basically
everything's normal.

The gory details, for those who are interested...

Around 11pm it became clear that the suspiciously strong Braxton Hicks
contractions I'd been having for an hour or so were indeed real
labor. I had spent the week telling Little Dude to at least wait a
few more days before getting born, as his sister was sick with a
fever, I had a cold, and his grandparents had my uncle staying with
them from out of town. But kids these days just don't listen. So
around 3 in the morning we called my mother to come to the house so
that DH and I could head to the hospital.

We got there around 3am and they initially thought he was side lying
and that I'd need a c-section. Fortunately they were wrong, and he
was just a little tilted. At this point the intensity of labor was
starting to pick up. We wheeled over to the labor and delivery room
and sometime shortly thereafter the labor pains migrated to my back.
Indeed, he'd turned around and was now posterior. He was having some
heart rate drops with the contractions so I got some IV fluids that
seemed to perk him up.
Because of his suspected gigantic size and the concern for possible c-
section I couldn't drink, but they were pretty generous with the ice
chips.

My nurse got a birth ball for me to flop onto in order to try to get
him to turn, and DH was wonderful at responding to my grunts for "fan"
and "ice" and "back" (putting pressure on my back with each
contraction, which helped). The Bug was born naturally, but with the
prospect of a long back labor and a big baby I was ready for some
drugs. I got some fentanyl and that put the pain in the bearable
range. After it wore off I got a second dose, and then it was time to
start pushing. Not only the intern was there, but the OB attending
was there too, again for concern of a big baby and possible stuck
shoulder. She coached me as to what sort of flipping around she'd
have me do if he got stuck. I listened with some disbelief that I'd
be expected to do those things under the circumstances, though I know
full well what a serious emergency a stuck shoulder can be.

I was somewhat discouraged when they offered me a third dose of
fentanyl after about a half hour of pushing. I know they don't let
you get it within at least 30-45 minutes of when they expect the baby
to come out (because it zonks the baby), and after two hours of
pushing with the Bug I'd been hoping for something shorter this time
around. I got the dose, and within a minute or two he flipped back
into proper position and in two pushes was born. He wasn't the
slightest bit sleepy from the fentanyl -- it probably hadn't even had
time to get to him through the placenta. He was huge, slimy, and
gorgeous and went right onto my belly looking around at this crazy new
world.

He had a few breastfeeds in the delivery room, including one nice long
one. Shortly after the feed though he had a low blood sugar. Given
his enormous size I knew he was at pretty high risk of sugar problems
and really wanted to avoid his getting sent to the NICU for IV
treatment. He sucked down 1.3 ounces of formula in about 5 or 10
minutes, which is a lot for someone 2 hours old. After that his
sugars were fine.

The next time I tried to feed him at 6 hours old he got stupid. I
latched him onto the breast, then was talking to my nurse about
getting some motrin. Just after she left the room I looked down and
he had gone completely purple and floppy. I took him off the breast
and tried to shake him awake while hitting the call button and calling
out for help. Thankfully my husband had gone to get lunch with my
daughter, because any parent who wasn't a pediatrician with recent
experience in a NICU would think their baby was either dead or in the
process of dying. The nurse threw him into the bassinet and took off
down the hallway to the treatment nursery, with me trailing close
behind. He snorted and started breathing just outside my room, and by
the time we got to the nursery his color was starting to come back.
It seemed like just about the entire NICU staff was up there, and
within a few minutes and a little oxygen he had pinked up and was
looking around as if to say, "hey, what's the big deal?".

But of course you pull something like that and you've bought yourself
hard time in the NICU. They took him down to start the process of
pokes for labs and medicine. He had a few more drops in his oxygen
levels over the next ~12 hours, though nothing like the first. I knew
that since they were all around feeds and burping that was a very good
sign that it wasn't necessarily something that would have long-term
consequences. His second day his oxygen was fine, but he was acting
completely out of it and had a weird high-pitched cry. Both of those
things can be Bad. The neurologist came to see him and me, and though
she's a brilliant and wonderful person she's never someone you want to
have to see in a professional capacity. That day was definitely the
worst, as he was acting just not right and the EEG (brain wave test)
came back not terrible, but also not quite right. The neonatologists
made clear that even though the tests would be back within a few days,
he was going to be stuck there under observation at least a week. So
he was scheduled for a brain MRI the next day and DH and I began to
digest the idea that there might be something really wrong.

But fortunately since then he has once again started acting like he
doesn't understand why we're all making such a fuss. The rest of his
tests have come back utterly boring, including the MRI. He woke up
and started acting like a regular baby on his third day, and has
continued to do so since. I figured out the pattern to his oxygen
drops. It's a quite common (and very benign) pattern in babies more
preemie than him that they can't quite coordinate the suck-swallow-
breathe cycle. At the beginning of a feed if he's really hungry,
sometimes he'll just suck-suck-suck-suck without taking a breath.
It's something babies outgrow, and the parents can easily address it.
If I notice him suck-suck-sucking that way, I just take him off the
breast and make him catch his breath. I think even that problem is
improving a little, and once we get home and it's easier to feed him
more frequently (so he's not so ravenous and I'm not so engorged when
we start the feed) it should improve further.

The difficulty of all this has been eased so much by being in a place
where I just spent three years of residency and know most of the NICU
staff. I feel like I have friends who I know and trust caring for
him.
All the pediatric residents have been wonderfully concerned and
helping out with whatever they can. It also helps tremendously being
a pediatrician -- I really doubt I would have figured out the pattern
to his suck-breathe coordination if I didn't already know it as an
established phenomenon. And living just a few minutes from the
hospital makes it possible to go back and forth between feeds so that
I can be with DH and the Bug too, though it's exhausting.

I strongly suspect I have some as-yet undescribed form of gestational
diabetes that didn't show up on my two glucose tolerance tests.
Somehow this guy got enough sugar to grow to 9lb 12oz, and he's acting
for all the world like an infant of a diabetic mother. They come out
gigantic but act like they're a few weeks less cooked than they really
are. The Bug was hardly petite either (8lb 10oz, two weeks before her
due date). I think if I ever have another kid I'm just going to go
straight on the diabetic diet, test results be damned.

Even though we're no longer very concerned that he has some horrible
problem it's pretty stressful having him at the hospital. The Bug is
getting spazzy with all the upheaval, but is going back to preschool
today so some normal routine should help. She was driving DH utterly
nuts, so her return to school will be even better for him. And since
Little Dude is a great breastfeeder and I'm making plenty of milk we
can safely start bottle feeds. DH has given him a few and he handled
them fine, and starting tonight I'm going to let the nurses do the
overnight feeds so I can sleep at home and just get up for a few short
pumping sessions. Thursday is his release date and I can hardly bear
the wait.

So it's been far more "interesting" than I would have hoped, but all's
well that ends well and this looks to be ending well.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 and a half and three quarters (as she puts it)
and Little Dude, 3/19/08
Old March 25th 08, 05:42 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

WOW, that gave me a shock, it was literally 2 or 3 hours ago that I was
noticing your due date and realising it wasn't far and he'd already been
born!

Sounds pretty scary and all rather too similar to the experience of some
friends of ours, also appearing to be related to diabetic type problems
in the mother, that didn't show up in screening. Baby going through a
whole host of tests and eventually them concluding she was fine, just a
little early and big.

Congratulations and hang in their for the next few days (though I'm
curious as to how they project that his release date is Thursday).

We're rooting for you!
Anne
Old March 25th 08, 06:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Congrats on the arrival of Little Dude! Whoo hooo! That was sure
exciting...I wonder if it's a sign of things to come -- maybe the kid is
just going to be one of those dramatic types...

I'm glad all seems to be goig well and calming down.
--

Jamie Clark

Old March 25th 08, 08:40 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Wow! What a bigg'un! I'm glad he's doing a lot better now, and hope it's not
too long before he's home. Sounds like you're all coping well, and I'll bet
your DD can't wait to go back to pre-school to tell all her friends she's
got a new baby brother!

Congratulations, and welcome to Little Dude!

Lucy x

Old March 25th 08, 08:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Akuvikate schrieb:
Short version: Little Dude was born on March 19 at 8:53am. He weighed
9lb 12oz and was three and a half weeks before his due date, making
him a little bit premature.

Congratulations :-)

cu
nicole
Old March 25th 08, 09:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Akuvikate" wrote in message
Short version: Little Dude was born on March 19 at 8:53am. He weighed
9lb 12oz and was three and a half weeks before his due date, making
him a little bit premature. He's doing very well now, but is stuck in
the NICU for a few more days because the first day or two he did some
dumb preemie stuff (like forgetting to breathe when he was eating).
He's had an insanely comprehensive workup and so far basically
everything's normal.

Congratulations! Hope all goes well.
Debbie

Old March 25th 08, 11:41 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

Awesome!!! Congrats to you and your family, and Welcome to Little
Dude :-)

Nan

Old March 25th 08, 01:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Mar 24, 9:43 pm, Akuvikate wrote:

So it's been far more "interesting" than I would have hoped, but all's
well that ends well and this looks to be ending well.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 and a half and three quarters (as she puts it)
and Little Dude, 3/19/08

Congratulations and welcome to Little Dude! I hope he can get out of
there quickly and there are no more "interesting" parts before
then. :-)

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James
Old March 25th 08, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Akuvikate

On Mar 24, 10:42 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:

Congratulations and hang in their for the next few days (though I'm
curious as to how they project that his release date is Thursday).

Thanks! If it's spells of forgetting to breathe that's the last thing
keeping a baby in the NICU, usually their discharge is set by a
countdown from the last event. That way you have a time sample of X
number of days to prove that they won't do it again (or at least prove
it as much as you ever can). In our NICU it's commonly a 5 day
countdown from the last spell. His first episode was pretty extreme
compared to most, so he's on a 7 day countdown, with his last episode
last Thursday. He still sometimes has his oxygen levels drop at the
start of a feed if he's feeding too hard, but those episodes don't
count against him. Since I can recognize them and deal with them,
they won't kill him. And absolutely no one really expects him to have
any misbehavior that will keep him there longer.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, four and a half and three quarters
and Little Dude, 3/19/08
Old March 25th 08, 06:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Rebecca Jo

"Akuvikate" wrote:

Short version: Little Dude was born on March 19 at 8:53am. He weighed
9lb 12oz and was three and a half weeks before his due date, making
him a little bit premature. He's doing very well now, but is stuck in
the NICU for a few more days because the first day or two he did some
dumb preemie stuff (like forgetting to breathe when he was eating).
He's had an insanely comprehensive workup and so far basically
everything's normal.

Congratulations. I hope he remembers to breathe from now on and can come
home soon!

--
Mama to Alexander 6/6/05 and Jack 7/7/07