Flu-apillar

Old December 14th 03, 02:27 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default Flu-apillar

trich wrote:

(a) going to a sauna twice a week (is there a way you can visit
one tomorrow?) - based on a German study. Supposedly, the
high temperature kills the colonies in the airways.

80 degrees isn't even that hot - a steamy shower should work.

(b) eating lots of yogurt.

Milk-allergic Caterpillar. No milk for Mom.

Thanks!

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old December 14th 03, 03:10 AM
trich

Milk-allergic Caterpillar. No milk for Mom.

Maybe take the pills, then?

Hot showers are a good idea! I once measured the room
temperature (it was very hot water), and it came to 82.

t.

Old December 14th 03, 03:39 AM
Irrational Number

Oh no, poor Caterpillar! I hope she feels
better soon.

I would wait on the anti-virals and just
meticulously wash my hands constantly.

-- Anita --

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
Poor baby was fine at bathtime, feverish at bedtime, cried all night,
and tested positive for Influenza A this morning.

She's on amantadine (Symmetrel), an anti-viral. Allyson and I have been
prescribed it prophylactically. Hales says L3 - "amantadine is known to
suppress prolactin production and should not be used in breastfeeding
mothers."

We both had the flu shot in November. But Caterpillar got the flu from
her Ah-mah, who also had a flu shot. Ah-mah has been sick 4 days, and
feels on the mend. So I think I'm likely to get sick, but not seriously
sick. I need to be well by next Thursday, but I can be sick until
then. I've got some freezer stash, but not a lot. Pediatrician said
Caterpillar might not eat well while she's sick, so it might be hard for
me to tell if she's getting enough if my supply is questionable.

IMO, Caterpillar needs all the milk and all the antibodies she can get,
so I think I'm not going to take the antiviral prophylactically. If I
get really sick, I've got 2-3 days to decide to take them. Alternative
solutions welcomed.

Phoebe

--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old December 14th 03, 04:03 AM
Dawn Lawson

trich wrote:

Milk-allergic Caterpillar. No milk for Mom.

Maybe take the pills, then?

Hot showers are a good idea! I once measured the room
temperature (it was very hot water), and it came to 82.

But be aware that heat may not help with swelling of the airways.

(DS had a chest xray (no fun, but less awful than the hand ones in teh
summer.....for these, they clamp little kids inot a clear plastic tube,
sitting on a little bicycle seat, arms pulled over their heads by Mum,
small face-hole in the side of the tube for sad little faces to yell out
of....) on Thurs, to rule out pneumonia (he has been rattly for a week,
but was warm again Thurs am, so I took him in...no tests other than the
xray, no treatment suggested other than cool mist and decongestant if
needed)

What dr said that made sense to me though, was that steam may not work
as well as cool mist from a humidifier or from being outside if the
congestion is not really from thick mucus, but from inflamed and swollen
airways. In fact the heat could make it worse.

HTH
Dawn, who picked up a case of Viral Sproggitis herself yesterday :-'/

Old December 14th 03, 05:06 AM
badgirl

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

trich wrote:

[...]

Yep, I've got my poor 12YO tootsie in her room with a cool mist humidifyer
tonight too. She's been coughing up a lung for a week and a half now. Took
her to the ped Monday, he said we just have to let the virus run it's course
and can only treat symptoms in the meantime. Out of all of us she is the one
who's had it the worst. We all got sick but it's sticking with her for some
reason. I even called the hospital tonight because I wanted to know if I
could bring her in and maybe they could help make her more
comfortable...nope, not a thing they can do. The good stuff is she doesn't
have a fever and she doesn't have the runs and is not throwing up (boy do I
remember a flu like that when I was little, thought I was gonna die for
sure)

Hope everyone gets well soon. Wash your hands FREQUENTLY! And use lotion
afterward to keep your skin from drying out from all the soap.

Jen

Old December 14th 03, 06:08 AM
Nina

trich wrote:

Milk-allergic Caterpillar. No milk for Mom.

Maybe take the pills, then?

Hot showers are a good idea! I once measured the room
temperature (it was very hot water), and it came to 82.

But be aware that heat may not help with swelling of the airways.

(DS had a chest xray (no fun, but less awful than the hand ones in teh
summer.....for these, they clamp little kids inot a clear plastic tube,
sitting on a little bicycle seat, arms pulled over their heads by Mum,
small face-hole in the side of the tube for sad little faces to yell out
of....)

When they did my daughter, the idiots forgot to hold her head and it flopped
back when they unbuckled her. Iw as ready to KILL those people. Just
sharing.

Old December 14th 03, 01:40 PM
Elizabeth Reid

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
trich wrote:

(b) eating lots of yogurt.

Milk-allergic Caterpillar. No milk for Mom.

If the point of the lots-of-yogurt is getting lots of
probiotics (which I think they think it is) then you
can get capsules which are dairy-free. I take the
Culturelle ones.

Beth
Old December 14th 03, 03:28 PM
teapot

trich wrote:

(a) going to a sauna twice a week (is there a way you can visit
one tomorrow?) - based on a German study. Supposedly, the
high temperature kills the colonies in the airways.

80 degrees isn't even that hot - a steamy shower should work.

(b) eating lots of yogurt.

Milk-allergic Caterpillar. No milk for Mom.

MIlk is really bad for mucus anyway so you'd be best to avoid it,

garlic, loads of it and lots of orange and lemon juice. Coltsfoot is
a good cold herb and ok for BF. The smelly olibas oil is good for
blocked noses.

I have had a cold flu thing that goes back and forth between all of us
and has been for months, its grim, but not as grim as the flu.

Big hug rom The moo boy for caterpillar

teapot
Old December 14th 03, 05:13 PM
Akuvikate

Sidheag McCormack wrote in message ...
Poor Caterpillar! But - I could be misremembering, but I thought Influenza
*A* was not "flu" as we normally think of it, but a different feverish
illness that you can get only once in a lifetime? i.e. the flu shot etc.
would have been irrelevant?

Sidheag, sorry, too lazy/busy to look this up right now...

Influenza A and B are the flu viruses. Perhaps you're thinking of
Haemophilus influenza, which is the bacteria protected against by the
Hib vaccine and causes meningitis and other stuff, not the flu.

FWIW, this year the two flu strains making the rounds are both
influenza A (B is milder). About 30% of cases are caused by the one
in the vaccine, and 70% are caused by one not in the vaccine. The 70%
one didn't grow well in eggs, so they couldn't produce it. It's
*very* similar to the one in the vaccine, so there's some protection,
but it's limited.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old December 14th 03, 05:16 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Elizabeth Reid wrote:

If the point of the lots-of-yogurt is getting lots of
probiotics (which I think they think it is) then you
can get capsules which are dairy-free.

I've got acidophilus in the freezer that's dairy-free. I
think that was the point, too.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt