pain

Old September 6th 05, 08:19 PM
maya

Default pain

Hello everyone,

I have a question about pains of pregnancy.:-) Whenever I lay on my
back, my lower abdomen starts hurting (like a spasm) and I have to
change position. This also happens when I am laying on my left side. I
also get these pains when I am sitting sometimes....
I am 12 weeks pregnant. Is this normal? Should I worry?
Also, what do BH contractions feel like? Is that may be what I am
feeling? Because I thought that Braxton Hicks contracts are
painless....
Please advise!
Thanks a bunch!

Old September 6th 05, 09:38 PM

maya writes:
: Hello everyone,

: I have a question about pains of pregnancy.:-) Whenever I lay on my
: back, my lower abdomen starts hurting (like a spasm) and I have to
: change position. This also happens when I am laying on my left side. I
: also get these pains when I am sitting sometimes....
: I am 12 weeks pregnant. Is this normal? Should I worry?
: Also, what do BH contractions feel like? Is that may be what I am
: feeling? Because I thought that Braxton Hicks contracts are
: painless....
: Please advise!
: Thanks a bunch!

I don't have any comments about the pain, but i will say "DON'T LIE
ON YOUR BACK!" :-)

This is not really such a big deal right now, but as your get bigger
and the baby gets heavier, it will press on the main blood vessel
in your abdoman, cutting off blood supply. it is best to lie on
your side, usign a pillow under your top knee, if necessary to maintain
your position.

Larry
Old September 6th 05, 10:08 PM
oregonchick

"Joybelle" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
maya writes:
[...]

I guess for some people this applies, but I've gone through three
pregnancies, and I'm almost 37 weeks with this one, and I still lie on my
back. I wake up on my back. Now, if I were to experience discomfort,
light-headedness, or something to tell me that position was Wrong, I'd
worry. As it is, though, I haven't seen anything sufficient pointing out
it
is Bad. I have read that during labor it isn't good for mom to be flat on
her back due to the main blood vessel, and that makes sense, but I don't
think lying on your back throughout pregnancy, unless your body is telling
you not to, is all that big of deal. My opinion, of course.

Well, I'm 6 months along now, and although I make every effort to start out
on my side, I usually wake up on my back. I don't know what I could
possibly do to make sure I don't roll to my back...

Old September 7th 05, 12:04 AM
Joybelle

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old September 7th 05, 01:40 AM
Anonymama

In article . com,
"maya" wrote:

Also, what do BH contractions feel like? Is that may be what I am
feeling? Because I thought that Braxton Hicks contracts are
painless....

They are. In my experience, they feel a bit like having to pee -- a lot
of pressure low down, just above the pelvic bone.
--
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006
Old September 7th 05, 01:46 AM
Joybelle

"oregonchick" wrote in message

"Joybelle" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I tried a body pillow my second pregnancy. Did not work. So I gave
up and let my body dictate how it wanted to sleep, and that works.
What's strange to me is if I'm flat on my back I feel fine, but if I'm
semi-reclined I feel strange. This morning, I woke up completely flat on my
back, my head wasn't even on the pillow, and I was sleeping sooooo well
(finally!).

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
# 4 Sept 2005

Old September 7th 05, 02:09 AM
Leigh Menconi

"maya" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello everyone,

I have a question about pains of pregnancy.:-) Whenever I lay on my
back, my lower abdomen starts hurting (like a spasm) and I have to
change position. This also happens when I am laying on my left side. I
also get these pains when I am sitting sometimes....
I am 12 weeks pregnant. Is this normal? Should I worry?
Also, what do BH contractions feel like? Is that may be what I am
feeling? Because I thought that Braxton Hicks contracts are
painless....
Please advise!
Thanks a bunch!

It could just be the "round ligaments" that attach to the uterus stretching.
I remember them hurting quite a bit early in the pregnancy.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/12505-2.asp

BH feel more like a hard tightening across the lower abdomen.

Leigh in raLeigh

Old September 7th 05, 08:46 PM
maya

Thanks for the article. It sounds like what I am experiencing. I read
about round ligaments before in some pregnancy book but they were
described as slight, barely noticable pain so I totally disregarded
them as possible cause. I am going to see my doctor on the 20th and I
will mention it as well just to feel better.
Thanks!