reading

Old November 16th 05, 08:01 PM posted to misc.kids

Default reading

DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple words,
but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have book
recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics, except
that it's expensive?

Thanks.

Old November 16th 05, 08:21 PM posted to misc.kids

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:01:41 -0500, "Stephanie"
wrote:

DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple words,
but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have book
recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics, except
that it's expensive?

Thanks.

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, or the Bob Books. I've
gotten both from the library. You can also find the Hooked on Phonics
at the library, as well.

Nan

Old November 16th 05, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote:

DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple words,
but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have book
recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics, except
that it's expensive?

Thanks.

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons,

I second this one! My son and I worked through it this summer; we both
really enjoyed it, and I was pretty impressed by how well he could read
at the end of it.

Jeanne
Old November 16th 05, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids

"Stephanie" wrote in message
DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple
words, but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have
book recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics,
except that it's expensive?

Thanks.

Look for the "Bob Books" They are cute and help the child learn about
phonics in a fun and easy way.

Old November 17th 05, 12:12 AM posted to misc.kids

For now, read to him from any easy-ish books. Level 1 readers are a
good pick, but really anything will do. (Get the books from the library
-- at this stage, purchasing books isn't cost effective.)

With my kids I found it worked to take turns reading. At first I read a
sentence and they read a word. Later they read a sentence and I read
the rest of the page. Gradually we moved to the boy reading and then me
taking over when they got tired of doing the work. Eventually they
kicked me out of the room so they could read to themselves. :-(

The key is NEVER to push. Let him read as much as he wants, and then
you get on with the story. DOn't make him read MORE than he wants, as
reading really is HARD work at first.

You can be organized and read a series that introduces different phonics
concepts, but you don't actually HAVE to do that. Just read every
single day, and eventually your chidl will get over the hump and start
reading independently.

My two cents!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old November 17th 05, 12:14 AM posted to misc.kids

wrote:

DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple words,
but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have book
recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics, except
that it's expensive?

Thanks.

Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, or the Bob Books. I've
gotten both from the library. You can also find the Hooked on Phonics
at the library, as well.

Nan

Yes, I third this recommendation. Provides some really good skill base
for reading, a good method of teaching.

Cara
Old November 17th 05, 01:02 AM posted to misc.kids

Stephanie wrote:
DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple words,
but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have book
recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics, except
that it's expensive?

Thanks.

The Bob books worked for us in preschool but she went through them so
fast that I highly recommend either the library or to buy them at a
used bookstore (garage sales are great for books too) I bought a brand
new set that was a huge waste of money. I'd offer it to you but they
are long gone.

Go with the flow and stay on top of reading while he's interested in
it. Seize the moment as they say. Sadly, my now 6th grader who was
doing advanced reading very early in her life is not terribly
interested in reading anymore. If it weren't for mandatory book
reports, I'm not sure she'd be reading anything besides the sports
section of the newspaper. I can't help but wonder if early reading
created her lack of interest today. She could not get enough of us
reading to her when she was a baby to devouring books until she was 10
or so. It's so sad and I'm praying that it's just a phase.

Old November 17th 05, 02:03 AM posted to misc.kids

"MsLiz" wrote in
oups.com:

Stephanie wrote:
[...]

have you had her eyes checked? i was reading before age 3, &
would read anything in print. it became very difficult for me
to see print at around 10/11 years. it was blurry, so i wasn't
reading as much. i had an eye exam & got glasses at 11 & was
back to reading anything i could get my hands on.

FWIW, my 5 year old likes the Dick & Jane books because
they're easy for him to read. i think they're more sight word
oriented than phonics oriented, which is why they fell out of
favor in the early 60s.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old November 17th 05, 02:30 AM posted to misc.kids

I scheduled a check up for her in a couple of weeks; they check her
eyes there too. Good idea! As much as I hope that she isn't cursed
with my eyes, I'd love knowing that there's a cause! Thanks
enigma wrote:
"MsLiz" wrote in
oups.com:

Old November 17th 05, 02:43 AM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
"Stephanie" wrote:

DS (5) has shown an interest in reading. He can sound out very simple words,
but I don't really know where to go from here. Does anyone have book
recommendations or does anyone know anything about hooked on phonics, except
that it's expensive?

Thanks.

Just read to him and with him a lot.

The Dr. Seuss books are very good for early readers.