Does "no presents" really mean that?

Old July 12th 03, 07:42 PM
Kevin Karplus

Default Does "no presents" really mean that?

In article , E wrote:
"Kevin Karplus" wrote in message
My son has 12 cousins, so we gave up on keeping track of birthdays of
our nieces and nephews quite some time ago. We do give holiday gifts
(mostly Christmas) until the kids turn 18 (which reduced the number to
8 last year).

I remember when I was a teen and the presents stopped. I'm thinking I would
do it the other way around - start giving the gifts to the teenagers. they
are (I was) old enough to appreciate them at that age, and probably "need"
stuff more. I know I would have loved little thoughtful things at that age,
and especially when I was in college. by then, I also knew how to write a
nice thank you note.
the younger ones don't really "need *that* much stuff, get tons of
hand-me-downs, and don't bother to write TY's, or aren't old enough to know
how...

Ahh, but buying presents for young kids is fun, while trying to find
presents for adults or teens that you barely know is TOUGH. We see
the various cousins less often than once a year, and the parents are
not always very helpful in telling us what the kids are interested in.
The thank-you notes aren't what I give presents for anyway.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz

Old July 13th 03, 02:56 PM

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
"E" wrote:

SNIP

I remember when I was a teen and the presents stopped. I'm thinking I

would
do it the other way around - start giving the gifts to the teenagers.

they
are (I was) old enough to appreciate them at that age, and probably

"need"
stuff more. I know I would have loved little thoughtful things at that

age,
and especially when I was in college. by then, I also knew how to write

nice thank you note.
the younger ones don't really "need *that* much stuff, get tons of
hand-me-downs, and don't bother to write TY's, or aren't old enough to

know
how...
JMHO
Edith
nak

When grandma died, grandpa stopped giving birthday and Christmas
presents -- said he just couldn't spend that much time shopping,
couldn't remember all his grandkids' birthdays (there were 24 of us), so
instead, every Christmas, he picked up 48 brand new one dollar bills,
and put them in envelopes for each of us -- one bill each for our
birthday and for Christmas.

Even then, $2 wasn't all that much money, but I can remember as a
college student (early 70's) looking forward to getting that $2, because
I always spent it on something that I didn't actually need, and that was
just for ME. It might only be a pair of fancy panties, but I enjoyed
the shopping.

So I think you may have a point -- a gift, even a small one, to an older
teen might be more appreciated than a gift to a two year old.

However, I think you'd probably annoy the parents of the two year old a
lot more . . .

meh

I don't know, I've got a 15.5yo DS and a 18yo DD, as well as a 7+wo. we
have plenty for the newborn - even without having any showers (though I
would have loved a get-together [sorry to ramble - sore point for me]) or
receiving many gifts. I mean, really, how much do they REALLY need? not to
mention, where can you put it all, and how much do they really use?
whereas my other 2 are still growing/wearing out of clothes, have more
expensive tastes, like to receive things. I remember being hurt when it all
stopped. I think you're better off starting something later in life that
they're not expecting than to stop something they've gotten used to...
JMHO
Edith
nak