bfing & day care ( colds)

Old August 20th 03, 04:16 PM
Clisby

Default bfing & day care ( colds)

ted wrote:
Those babies that go to daycare while fully on breastmilk.. I
assume/expect them to be more resistant to colds. Is it the case? Or
do they catch colds like their formula buddies but just recover
faster? Is it possible to not catch cold when three other friends are
sneezing?

Thanks.

I think statistically, overall, you're probably right, but that doesn't
mean anything for a particular child. My breastfed son got sick a lot
more often than my formula-fed daughter (neither was in day care, so
I don't now how that would have affected things.) He wasn't sickly -
he just didn't seem to have the industrial-strength immune system my
daughter apparently was blessed with.

Clisby

Old August 20th 03, 07:07 PM
Lisa Besko

My son seems to get sick alot according to family and friends. He does
get sick but doc says it would probably be worse if I didn't bf. I have
a crappy immune system so it's not that unexpected.

I will say that he rarely has just a cold. It's usually more full
blown. As my neighbor says when he get's sick it's usually bad. He's
not one of those kids that has a constant runny nose.

He's had rotovirus, fifths disease(with pinkeye for fun), ear infections
and "the same crap that mom gets" (with me they call it a sinus
infection but he's not suppose to have sinuses).

I think he does recover faster for the most part.

LB

--
Lisa L.W. Besko SCNC Voice : 517-432-4040
Systems Analyst SCNC E-mail :

Old August 20th 03, 08:31 PM
Michelle Podnar

I think the main difference is that BF babies can get antibodies from mom to
help fight off the colds quicker, and made them less severe. For example,
if I get the cold first, DD hardly even get it (maybe a few sniffles, and a
sluggish day). If DD gets the cold first, it will last about 5-7 days. In
that time, I have to catch it, my body build up antibodies, and I give them
to her (along with the ones she is already making)./

This is just what I have noticed with my own DD, I am not sure of the
science of it,

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002
om...

Old August 20th 03, 09:09 PM
Karen

She didn't *insist* on any, good thing or we would have walked out! But
she strongly recommended the major disease things like DTaP, MMR, polio,
but kind of sort of supported our reluctance towards the "newer"
vaccines like Hib, the miscellaneous hepatitises, something called PCV7,
and chicken pox, because he was going to be home with me instead of in
daycare. He does go to preschool a couple mornings a week now, but we're
still not inclined to do any of those. We're open to revisiting anything
should it seem necessary, and will revisit chicken pox and hepatitis
around age 12 or so.

That's just us, selective, delayed, reluctant. We didn't do any vax
until 10 mos, and then just one injection at a time.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3-

Old August 21st 03, 12:49 AM
Nancy P

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Those babies that go to daycare while fully on breastmilk.. I
assume/expect them to be more resistant to colds. Is it the case? Or
do they catch colds like their formula buddies but just recover
faster? Is it possible to not catch cold when three other friends are
sneezing?

Thanks.

My daughter was sick with colds, fevers, the flu, etc. a lot last winter.
She was exclusively BF until 6 months, eventually had to be supplemented
with formula, but continues to nurse at 17 1/2 months. She was good all
summer, but now has bronchitis. DH and I were also the sickest we have
ever been in our adult lives last winter. In my opinion, it is the daycare
exposure. On the plus side, there was a stomach virus in the school that
she didn't get.

Nancy