Finally A Breakthrough....I think :)

Old December 31st 03, 10:37 PM
Zucca4

Default Finally A Breakthrough....I think :)

Last night at 2:30 am, I was ready to throw the towel in. Too many days and
weeks of sleep deprivation were taking there toll. Our little vampire baby was
resisting night sleep as usual and nothing could get him relaxed- not cuddling
on mommy or daddy's chest (he normally loves this and would sleep like this all
night but my husband is terrified of him falling off of us onto the floor, god
forbid), not burping him, not pressing his legs gently up to his tummy to
release gas, not mylecon drops, not saline and aspiration to clear his stuffy
nose...he was not appeased any way.

Anyhow, normally when he fusses uncontrollably after a long breastfeeding
session, we offer him a bit of formula to see if he is satisfied especially
since it seems as though my supply is a bit low. I was so happy to see that he
ONLY wanted booby He kept shaking his head when we presented him with the
formula and closing his mouth. He only wanted breast which is what I want
anyway.

So, I decided to try nursing in bed. I lay on my side and gave him the boob
that was closest to the matress. It was a bit hard as my nipple are flat and I
had to make a "nipple sandwich" as they say and push it into his tiny mouth. He
latched on quickly and.......here's the amazing part.....next thing I knew it
was 6:50. Four hours and 20 mins. of sleep in a row!!! First time ever in these
five weeks! The crazy thing was he was still sucking! I don't think he ever
came off becasue I have to give him my nipple and position it for him dues to
the falt factor.

Questions:

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in any
way?

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it just
comfort sucking?

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the sense
that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and my
boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried to
cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this seems
like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this,
lisa
Old December 31st 03, 10:52 PM
Chotii

"Zucca4" wrote in message

So, I decided to try nursing in bed. I lay on my side and gave him the

boob
that was closest to the matress. It was a bit hard as my nipple are flat

and I
had to make a "nipple sandwich" as they say and push it into his tiny

mouth. He
latched on quickly and.......here's the amazing part.....next thing I knew

it
was 6:50. Four hours and 20 mins. of sleep in a row!!! First time ever in

these
five weeks! The crazy thing was he was still sucking! I don't think he

ever
came off becasue I have to give him my nipple and position it for him dues

the falt factor.

This is how I night-nurse also.

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side

or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I usually nurse until the 'bottom' breast is empty/flattish, and then roll
onto it and offer the upper one.

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

I never do?

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in

any
way?

Naw. The human nipple is far too soft to do any damage. It's not like a
rubber pacifier.

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it

just
comfort sucking?

He may have been getting just a little bit the whole time - or at intervals
with small let-downs. Or not at all. But he was happy, yes? Happy is good.

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my

breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

I've never had a problem with my kids straining anything, but I *do* try to
roll my littlie to her side when she latches on. I don't like her having her
head twisted to the side either. If she rolls onto her back later, I don't
know about it because I'm asleep then.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the

sense
that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and

my
boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried

cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this

seems
like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

I don't think there are any stats. If you wake to his every little squeak
and grunt, then you probably have nothing to worry about. I couldn't
possibly roll onto my baby, because I'd wake up when she protested and
wriggled.

--angela

Old December 31st 03, 10:59 PM
Dagny

"Zucca4" wrote in message
[...]

SUPER!

Questions:

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side

or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I use both bottom and top breasts. I prefer the bottom breast but sometimes
she needs to nurse on the top one and I don't feel like reconfiguring us. I
am a prepregnancy A cup, and wear C cup nursing bras.

I prefer to have my bottom arm above my head against the mattress, then a
pillow on my arm, then my head on the pillow. But I'm sure nothing that
fancy happens at 3am, and I just go back to sleep.

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

I certainly rarely burp Meg at all, and never at night. If she needs motion
to dislodge some air, I assume she'll wake me. She really does not hesitate
to wake me for any reason

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in

any
way?

Not that I'm aware of. People leave pacifiers in their kids' mouths all day
long (a hard piece of plastic). Not that that is acceptable ...

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it

just
comfort sucking?

Um, could be getting milk all that time but most likely just a trickle.
After all he was not taking more than his stomach could handle.

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my

breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

Meg nurses like this all the time.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the

sense
that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and

my
boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried

cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this

seems
like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

I think most moms who co-sleep are going to say that they nurse in bed,
sometimes or usually falling asleep while nursing, and co-sleeping SIDS
rates are completely acceptable to me. I mean, acceptable compared to
general SIDS risk, not compared to an ideal world.

-- Dagny
Meg's mom 10/03

Old December 31st 03, 10:59 PM
Nina

"Zucca4" wrote in message
[...]

I do both. I also sleep with baby on my chest ,or my side and my arm
supported by a pillow.

Old December 31st 03, 11:06 PM

Zucca4 wrote:

Four hours and 20 mins. of sleep in a row!!!

Congrats! I bet that felt wonderful!

Questions:

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I lay on my side with him on his side facing me (tummy to tummy) with his
head propped on the crook of my arm and my arm around his back. I don't
have big boobs so it's not possible for me to give the top one, he's gets
the one closest to his head. =)

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

I don't burp him after he falls asleep, which is why this didn't work for
us for a long time. He was very gassy/spit-uppy and would spit-up all over
both of us. He's grown out of that now and doesn't usually need to be
burped. If your baby seems comfortable without being burped then he should
be fine. When he was littler and would fall asleep before I could burp
him, I'd just remember that I needed to burp him as soon as he woke up for
good. He'd usually have a nice big burp in the works by that time!

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in any
way?

I doubt it. Breastfeeding is supposed to help form the palette and jaw, so
I think it would strengthen it if anything. I guess if he was a really
agressively sucking that whole time, he could make his jaw muscles sore
(like when you chew gum too long). I doubt he was actively sucking the
whole time though. I'd think *you* would be really sore after 4 hours of
that!

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it just
comfort sucking?

They say they're never empty...

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

If he falls asleep while I'm nursing him, I gently break the suction
(since he would NEVER do it himself) and then gently tip him over onto his
back (I have him on his side when he's eating). He usually doesn't even
notice. I'm not comfortable staying in that position for more than an hour
or so and I figure that he isn't either.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the sense
that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and my
boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried to
cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this seems
like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

Don't know the answer to that one. Good luck!

Old December 31st 03, 11:32 PM
HollyLewis

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.

Use whichever one is more comfortable to you. I'm not that well endowed, so I
always used the lower, but plenty of moms find it's easier to nurse from the
top one than to roll over and get baby switched to the other side.

Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I generally had my lower arm tucked underneath my pillow, with the upper arm
curled around baby's back. A pillow or bolster behind *your* back may make it
more comfortable for you (arching your back will make you sore very quickly).

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

Only burp him if he is uncomfortable. If he's sucking away in his sleep,
there's no need.

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in
any
way?

Nope.

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it
just
comfort sucking?

Both. Even when "just comfort sucking" a baby is getting a little milk. More
importantly, he's signalling your body to make more milk, which is all to the
good if you think your supply is low. Which, by the way, I very, very much
doubt is the case. You have a newborn. Newborns usually nurse
near-constantly. They normally have a hard time sleeping alone. They are
often fussy. None of these things mean there is anything at all wrong with
your milk. All of these things will get better with a little time.

When your baby wants to nurse for a long, long time, let him. (Or, when you
just can't stand it any more, try a pacifier. Or a walk outside.) Don't give
him formula. He may just need comfort (assuming you've checked that he isn't
wet, cold, itchy, etc.), or he may be having a "growth spurt" during which he
needs to nurse a lot in order to increase your milk supply. Giving formula is
the WORST possible thing you could do because, aside from all the negative
effects of formula on your baby's health, it's that much less milk that your
body thinks it needs to make, which *will* ultimately lead to low milk supply.

My intent is not to make you feel bad for water under the bridge, but I really
encourage you to throw out the formula so you can't be tempted to use any more
of it. Trust your body.

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my
breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

If he's not protesting any discomfort, he's fine. But it's also perfectly okay
to position him on his side, facing you; that's how most co-sleeping babies
sleep.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the
sense
that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and my
boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried to
cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this seems
like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

What statistics there are, are rather suspect. In the vast majority of cases,
infant deaths attributed to co-sleeping are
a result of suffocation (which is not really the same thing as SIDS) or
injuries incurred because the mother was on drugs, extremely obese, or sleeping
in an unsafe place like a narrow, soft couch, or all of the above. It's
possibly a bit more dangerous for anyone other than the mother (including the
father) to sleep with a newborn, because only the mother is so physically
attuned to the baby that she will immediately wake up at the slightest sign of
distress.

It's probably a good idea to try to unlatch him once he's soundly asleep (be
prepared to let him back on if he protests, but probably you'll soon learn to
judge when he's out enough not to notice), but the chances that you'll smother
him in your sleep are very remote.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old December 31st 03, 11:47 PM
Andrea

"Zucca4" wrote in message ...

[...]

If we didn't co-sleep, I don't think I would ever sleep! When Kam is in his
crib I just can't stop worrying about him. I feel that co-sleeping is a
natural thing to do.

Questions:

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side

or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I just lie on my pillow as I would normally, my arm around him, with baby at
boob level, my legs drawn up - we kinda share the fetal position together!
Just like a jigsaw.

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

I don't now, but when mine were tiny I knew they needed burping when they
were groaning!

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in

any
way?

Nah.

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it

just
comfort sucking?

Comfort. Or else it would feel like a hoover was attached all night!

I have a routine - whenever I wake I switch Kamron over to the other breast.

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my

breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

I hope not. Kamron and I start out facing each other, but when I wake we are
both flat on our back, but my arm is still under him.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the

sense
that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and

my
boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried

cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this

seems
like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

No stats here either. But I have fed 5 babies so far this way. I have heard
that when a mom and baby co-sleep that their breathing patterns syncronize.
I always wake if somethings wrong, I have even woke because his breathing
pattern changed. It's amazing.

Do you feel comfortable? If so carry on, it's great for both of you.

I really enjoy co-sleeping now. Kam has some crib time, but is always
snuffly, so I like him in with me.

)

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 6 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old December 31st 03, 11:54 PM
Larry McMahan

Zucca4 writes:

: Questions:

: 1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side or
: the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.
: Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
: position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

Monika could not manage the top breast until the baby was 7 or 8 weeks.

: 2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
: rouse him from sleep for this?

I think it is ok to burp him while your are awake when you switch breasts.
I would NOT recommend waking up to burp him. :-)

: 3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in any
: way?

No.

: 4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it just
: comfort sucking?

You can produce a fair amount of milk in 4 hours, although it won't come down
continously at the same rate. I would guess that there were a number of
periods of both comfort sucking and getting milk. BTW, this kind of nursing
is the best thing you can do to improve your supply. You should throw the
formula away and use this method when in doubt! :-)

: 5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my breast
: for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

Hmm. We always found it easier for both mom and baby to lie on thier sides
facing each other. Whatever works for you.

: 6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this? He is beneath me in the sense
: that my head is on my pillow with my hands tucked under it on my side and my
: boob is hanging down so that he, at my stomach level, can latch. I tried to
: cradle him in my arms on my side but it seemed impossible. While this seems
: like progress, it's not worth it if it could be dangerous.

In the first place, some SIDS studies have shown that co-sleeping reduces the
incidence. I'm not sure where the pillow is relative to him, but you might want
to lose it if you can sleep without it. Finally, you don't want a blanket up
over his body that he can bury his face in. He should probably be in a one
piece sleeper. If you do all that he is probably safer than in a crib.

: Thanks so much for taking the time to read this,
: lisa

Hope this helps,
Larry
Old January 1st 04, 07:56 AM
Chookie

In article ,
(Zucca4) wrote:

1. Which boob do I give him? The one nearest the matress whilst on my side or
the one on top? I have biiiiiiiig boobs so both are feasible I suppose.

Whatever feels comfy.

Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I put my lower arm under my pillow (elbow outwards and above the baby's head)
and drape my upper arm over the baby.

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

Don't burp him unless he's uncomfortable. We found that DS didn't seem to
need burping after night bfing, though he did during the day. My theory is
that night bfing is relaxing so the baby soesn't gulp air.

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in
any way?

No -- bfing is good for mouth development.

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it
just comfort sucking?

A bit of both, I would imagine. Who cares, anyway?

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my
breast for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

He'll let you kno if he's uncomfortable!!

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this?

No idea; I'd just make sure you aren't using puffy materials near his face.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old January 1st 04, 08:21 AM

(Zucca4) wrote in message ...
Four hours and 20 mins. of sleep in a row!!!

Woo-hoo!

Questions:

1. Which boob do I give him?

Whichever one is most comfortable. Some people can do both
comfortably.

Actually could someone describe in detail the nursing whilst laying down
position? Pillow placement, ways to make it more comfortable for me,etc?

I started off with a pillow tucked behind me, so I was turned to the
side, with knees drawn up, and DS on his side facing me. One arm
reached over his head and wrapped around. I kept the other on his
stomach, generally, as he liked it there -- he still likes it there.

2. Am I supposed to be burping him? It would defeat the purpose to have to
rouse him from sleep for this?

I wouldn't bother. I did generally go to all the rigamarole of
switching sides by flipping us over, figuring that it would help work
things out of his system, but I don't know that it usually made any
difference.

3. Does such a long sucking period harm his palette or mouth formation in any
way?

No. As I understand it dentists are of the opinion that breastfed
babies have healthier jaw formation than bottlefed babies because
nursing develops the jaw and palate appropriately, and artificial
nipples do not.

4. Could he actually have been getting milk for that long a time or was it just
comfort sucking?

Both. He almost certainly got subsequent letdowns. On supply days
and sick days I've sometimes spent four hours awake nursing like this,
and every once in a while DS will suddenly start swallowing again
after some time just comfort sucking. It's how they build your
supply. :-)

5. Is his laying flat on his back with his head turned on its side to my breast
for so long ok for him, will he strain anything?

He'd probably let you know if he were uncomfortable.

6. What are the SIDS stats for nursing like this?

No idea. Suffocation and SIDS rates are often confounded in the
cosleeping studies I've seen. FWIW, some studies suggest that
cosleeping babies are protected against SIDS, possibly because they're
not as deeply asleep and because they can use their mothers as a
regulating pacemaker to maintain breathing rates etc.

--
C, mama to one year old nursling

Chemically beating children: THOR to hammer fluoridation finally? Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 18 July 25th 04 05:31 PM
Breakthrough Chickenpox infection... what to expect? Cathy Weeks General 10 June 18th 04 01:33 AM
I'm finally back! laurie General 29 December 10th 03 12:04 AM
I'm finally back! laurie Breastfeeding 6 December 9th 03 03:56 AM
I'm Finally Back!!!!!!!!!! laurie Pregnancy 11 December 4th 03 11:24 PM