article attempt

Old September 23rd 05, 08:14 AM
hillary r.g. israeli

Default article attempt

My server keeps giving an error when I try to post this so I am trying to
submit via email. Thanks.

--begin article---
Newsgroups: misc.kids.moderated
Subject: Inconsiderate drivers and kids who walk to school
In ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

*
*Though the reason your father gave is quite likely what they were
*thinking, it is an argument for faster traffic flow, not for greater
*safety. (Most bus pullouts are for the convenience of motorists, not
*for the bus drivers or passengers.) The buses would have to get in
*the traffic with the car drivers, but that should not result in
*enormously long delays, and should still be safer than having all the
*drivers making left turns and having motorists driving on the wrong
*side of the street.

But, if the bus isn't pulled over, how do the children get on and off
safely? Kids as young as 5 yrs old are on that bus, and that is where the
teachers meet them.

I'm going to google for the address and see what I find. That would be
cool to look at anyway

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

---end article---

Old September 23rd 05, 12:44 PM
Rosalie B.

"hillary r.g. israeli" wrote:

My server keeps giving an error when I try to post this so I am trying to
submit via email. Thanks.

I don't know the area, but how about having a bus lane instead of a
pullout? (That is instead of a cutout in the curb, make the cutout
long enough to hold all the buses involved.)

At our school, for drop off. the buses pull up to the curb (all along
the front of the school inside the parking lot), and the children get
off and walk across the sidewalk into the school.

For pick up, the buses park diagonally in front of the school with the
handicapped buses next to the curb. Parents cars are not allowed into
the lot at all. The buses all load, and when everyone is on, then all
the buses pull out at once and then parents can come in and also
walkers (if any) can leave.

--begin article---
Newsgroups: misc.kids.moderated
In ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

*
*Though the reason your father gave is quite likely what they were
*thinking, it is an argument for faster traffic flow, not for greater
*safety. (Most bus pullouts are for the convenience of motorists, not
*for the bus drivers or passengers.) The buses would have to get in
*the traffic with the car drivers, but that should not result in
*enormously long delays, and should still be safer than having all the
*drivers making left turns and having motorists driving on the wrong
*side of the street.

But, if the bus isn't pulled over, how do the children get on and off
safely? Kids as young as 5 yrs old are on that bus, and that is where the
teachers meet them.

I'm going to google for the address and see what I find. That would be
cool to look at anyway

grandma Rosalie

Old September 23rd 05, 06:49 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

*"hillary r.g. israeli" wrote:
*
*My server keeps giving an error when I try to post this so I am trying to
*submit via email. Thanks.
*
*I don't know the area, but how about having a bus lane instead of a
*pullout? (That is instead of a cutout in the curb, make the cutout
*long enough to hold all the buses involved.)

The street is just a two lane (one in each direction) street. Widening the
street would mean stealing land from Bryn Mawr College (can't see them
giving it up voluntarily) or from the school - and I can't see the parents
and administration agreeing on making the parking lot SMALLER and the
playground SMALLER - they are already small.

*For pick up, the buses park diagonally in front of the school with the

Well, they couldn't do that - the street isn't wide enough. A diagonally
parked bus would block both lanes. Heck, I don't think my minivan could
diagonally park there without blocking both lanes!

Old September 23rd 05, 07:07 PM
Rosalie B.

(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

*"hillary r.g. israeli" wrote:
*
*I don't know the area, but how about having a bus lane instead of a
*pullout? (That is instead of a cutout in the curb, make the cutout
*long enough to hold all the buses involved.)

The street is just a two lane (one in each direction) street. Widening the
street would mean stealing land from Bryn Mawr College (can't see them
giving it up voluntarily) or from the school - and I can't see the parents

I'm not sure that would be the case the Bryn Mawr wouldn't allow this
if it were approached the right way it might not agree to that.

And I wasn't thinking of widening the street, just extending the bus
cutout. (How long is that and how many buses?)

and administration agreeing on making the parking lot SMALLER and the
playground SMALLER - they are already small.

OK - how about making the street one way? And not having parents go
into the parking lot at all, but just drop off in the lane next to the
school - like having a kiss and ride lane during certain hours.

Or let the buses drop off in the parking lot and the parents use the
bus cutout.

*For pick up, the buses park diagonally in front of the school with the

Well, they couldn't do that - the street isn't wide enough. A diagonally

This was at a school with a fairly large parking lot - not meant as a
prescription for your school - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Old September 23rd 05, 10:29 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

*And I wasn't thinking of widening the street, just extending the bus
*cutout. (How long is that and how many buses?)

I think it's about 2 buses long. I'm not sure there is room to make it
longer between the corner where another street intersects, and the
driveway to the parking lot, though.

*OK - how about making the street one way? And not having parents go
*into the parking lot at all, but just drop off in the lane next to the
*school - like having a kiss and ride lane during certain hours.

Gosh, I have no idea how/if that would work. I think, again, it would
require coordination with the college people as well as obviously the
township planners...

I feel like I'm kind of taking up a "defense of the current system" stance
in my posts to this thread, which is ironic really since I hate the
current system. So please, do not think my comments are intended to defend
the system!

Old September 24th 05, 07:43 PM
Rosalie B.

(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

*And I wasn't thinking of widening the street, just extending the bus
*cutout. (How long is that and how many buses?)

I meant how many buses do you have.

Do they all unload at once, or is there a time frame progression?

I think it's about 2 buses long. I'm not sure there is room to make it
longer between the corner where another street intersects, and the
driveway to the parking lot, though.

*OK - how about making the street one way? And not having parents go
*into the parking lot at all, but just drop off in the lane next to the
*school - like having a kiss and ride lane during certain hours.

Gosh, I have no idea how/if that would work. I think, again, it would
require coordination with the college people as well as obviously the
township planners...

That's true. But if no one has thought about it, it might be a
possibility.

I feel like I'm kind of taking up a "defense of the current system" stance
in my posts to this thread, which is ironic really since I hate the
current system. So please, do not think my comments are intended to defend
the system!

I know that - I'm not attacking you - I'm just asking for information
and trying to think outside the box a little bit to figure out whether
there might be a better solution than the one that's being used now.

At my high school, most of the buses came into the back parking lot,
but there was a street in front of the school which the kids used to
speed down. It was a narrow 2 lane street which went diagonally from
the main street to a side street (kind of a triangular cut off) and if
you took it, you eliminated the light at the intersection of the main
street and the side street and could get to school quicker. People
that lived in the neighborhood past the school (like me) often used it
as a short cut.

What they've done is blocked the main street entrance completely, and
made the street between the school and the side street one way towards
the side street. To get to the piece between the main road and the
school, you have to come in another street and turn right at the
school.

grandma Rosalie

Old September 26th 05, 07:18 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

**And I wasn't thinking of widening the street, just extending the bus
**cutout. (How long is that and how many buses?)
*
*I meant how many buses do you have.

I have no idea how many buses come to the school and use the cutout,
actually.

* *Do they all unload at once, or is there a time frame progression?

Again - I don't know, although I guess probably a progression, because
like I said, it's only about 2 buses long.

**OK - how about making the street one way? And not having parents go
**into the parking lot at all, but just drop off in the lane next to the
**school - like having a kiss and ride lane during certain hours.

Wow, another interesting idea. I have to say I doubt it would be widely
accepted, though. The bus cut-out takes up pretty much the length of the
sidewalk between the driveway into the lot, and the intersection - maybe
there is about 3-4 feet of regular sidewalk area between the cut-out and
the intersection. I'm not sure what making it one-way would do as far as
access into and egress from the buildings across the street, either - I
wonder if this has been studied.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is
too dark to read." --Groucho Marx

Law prof highlights CPS abuses in article Civil suit pending Fern5827 Spanking 0 July 14th 04 07:14 PM
Kids should work... Doan Spanking 33 December 10th 03 09:05 PM
Food & Drug recalls (x-posted) Ali's Daddie Pregnancy 0 October 22nd 03 05:08 AM
Food & Drug Recalls (x-posted) Ali's Daddie General 0 October 4th 03 04:27 AM
DCF CT monitor finds kids *worsen* while in state custody Kane General 8 August 13th 03 07:43 AM