Help...weaning is soooooooooo confusing!

Old July 26th 03, 11:48 AM
Clisby Williams

Default Help...weaning is soooooooooo confusing!

Lorraine wrote:

discussion title: Questions - Weaning is confusing
emoticon:
message #: 2176.1
from: rainee9
date: Jul-25 3:52 pm
replies: 1
next discussion

I am a little confused. My daughter is seven months old and I have
decided to start the process of weaning. She has been exclusively
breast fed since birth. Okay...this is my process so far: 1. I breast
feed her when she wakes around 0630am 2.When she wakes from her nap
early morning, I feed her formula from a sippy cup and feed her cereal
3. Formula again at lunch time from sippy cup and cereal/veggies/fruit
4. Around 0430pm, I breast feed her and around 0500pm
cereal/veggies/fruit 5. Before bedtime, around 0700pm, I breast feed
her one more time 6. She usually wakes around 0330 am wanting to
breastfeed (I am trying to wean her off this feed because I think
she's just doing it out of habit). She won't take a bottle, that is
why I am trying the sippy cup. My question is...she only takes around
2 to 3 ounces of formula, is that enough? I am hoping once she gets
better with the sippy cup I can wean her off the breast completely. Am
I on the right tract? Is it too much to expect that she doesn't eat
from bedtime to morning (0700pm to 0600pm)? And, what happens if she
refuses to drink formula from her sippy cup at a feed, do I then go
ahead and breast feed her?
Help?

I'm not sure why you want to wean her at 7 months old (after sticking
out the hard part
for 6 months, I figured life *owed* me the easy part after that.) But
since you asked:
1) I don't know how much breastmilk she gets when she nurses, so it's
hard to tell if
she's getting enough BM+formula. Is she healthy and growing well?
That's the best
way to tell.
2) I think it's way too much to expect a 7-month old to sleep from 7
p.m. to 6 a.m. I know
some children do - but neither my formula-fed first child nor my
breastfed first child did.
If I understood your first post, she's sleeping about 8 hours - at 7
months, I'd bet she's
not waking out of habit - she's waking out of hunger. I'd feed her.

Clisby

Old July 26th 03, 09:01 PM
Marion Baumgarten

Lorraine wrote:

[...]

I guess I'm not sure what your goals are. Very, very few 7 month olds
(or babes under a year) can make it without any sucking at all. They are
going to want to suck on something- be it a breat, bottle nipple or
pacifier.
Old July 28th 03, 07:15 AM
toypup

"Lorraine" wrote in message
om...
discussion title: Questions - Weaning is confusing
emoticon:
message #: 2176.1
from: rainee9
date: Jul-25 3:52 pm
replies: 1
next discussion

I am a little confused. My daughter is seven months old and I have
decided to start the process of weaning.

I think you are starting too early. Anyone I know who weaned their child at
this age has weaned them to a bottle, which I've never understood, but to
wean off completely, that's way too early.