The name game...and it's challenges...

Old July 15th 03, 12:37 PM
Cheg Uevara

Default The name game...and it's challenges...

Yeah, it didn't show up in this post

"toto" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:21:39 GMT, "Cheg Uevara"
wrote:

Sasa

Sasa with the accent?

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits

Old July 15th 03, 05:25 PM
Sara

Cheg wrote:

My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find a
name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
language it's pronounced in!

My parents were diplomats, and, similar to you, wanted names that were
recognized internationally. I'm Sara, my sister is Anne, and if either
of us was a boy we would've been named David. There are variants on
how these names are pronouced but they're always recognizable.

When I was in Cuba a few years ago with some friends, we stayed with
some people who spoke only Spanish. My friends were named Jodi and
Craig, which confused our hosts no end. When I said my name was Sara,
the hostess was relieved that I had "a good Cuban name!"

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

I check this e-mail account infrequently
Old July 17th 03, 02:13 PM
Chookie

In article , Banty
wrote:

Some Canadian provinces with a large Russian or Ukranian population will
wonder why you named a girl the dimunitive form of the male name
Alexandr.

They won't, since it's also a diminutive for Alexandra!

My suggestion is names of Greek/Hebrew origin (like Alexander) since those
have equivalents in all European languages, at least.

But you also have to cut people some slack when it comes to pronouncing names
which are foreign to them, particularly when the name doesn't fit with local
pronunciation rules. The most striking example I ever saw of this was in
Moscow, when I was in a class with a Spanish guy named Roberto. The problem
is that Muscovite Russian pronounces unstressed O as A. Roberto was *very*
unhappy about being called Roberta! (Robert is not a name used in Russia --
it's of French origin, I think)

I suppose the other option is to go for a name that is SO unusual that people
will invariably ask how it's pronounced!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990